Format Adjustment Suggestions

CalciumCas
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CalciumBB/

Re: Format Adjustment Suggestions

Postby CalciumCas » 02 April 2017, 22:30

Yes, come Legendary there will be 24 races and therefore 8 wildcards makes sense.
Amazing...Love it! BB2 has such a bright future, don't bollocks it up Cyanide!
The most dangerous coach in BB history and PS4 great white shark https://www.twitch.tv/calciumcas
Season VII bluescreen tally : 2 (1 in a finals game!)

dode74

Postby dode74 » 02 April 2017, 23:02

Scuromezzo - The FA cup has byes of the sort you describe, but there is no seeding. It's as much a factor of fixture congestion and numbers as anything else. The Champions' League has a single initial seeding based on qualification but fixtures are random from thereon in.

Jimmy - filtering by race would be most welcome. mordrek's website allows this, ofc.
Wildcards is something we're looking at for when we expand to 24 races. Expansion may come in sooner, but the tournaments themselves are usually run by the other admins after I set them up. They will have more say in timelines for this than I.

Fashbinder

Postby Fashbinder » 03 April 2017, 06:00

Sorry, but that makes little sense to me: you're assuming performance which we are yet to measure.
We measured them in the season. Might even get people playing more games for a better seeding position rather than sitting on their 20-2-2 record.
I think Nuffle would approve of the randomness!
We could roll 2d8 and assign cash prizes to people based on how they finished! Sounds like a meme but we could if the goal isn't trying to reward those who performed well in the season. Can assume that because the cash prizes are for 1-4th and not randomly distributed is that performing well is what we're trying to reward.

dode74

Postby dode74 » 03 April 2017, 06:48

we could if the goal isn't trying to reward those who performed well in the season.
It's not. If it were then the straight top 16 would go through. The goal of the season is to filter out the top team of each race in order to provide competitors for an all-races tournament, nothing more.

Fashbinder

Postby Fashbinder » 03 April 2017, 07:14

Can assume that because the cash prizes are for 1-4th and not randomly distributed is that performing well is what we're trying to reward.
Still have an all races tournament. Any race under the hands of a skilled coach still capable of winning.

dode74

Postby dode74 » 03 April 2017, 07:19

Yes, that's a different tournament for which the first one provides the qualifiers. I'm not sure why you are conflating the two or trying to exacerbate [success/failure/the issues with open ladder formats] in the former by having relative results carry over to the latter.

You think seeding would be better, others don't.

JimmyFantastic

Postby JimmyFantastic » 03 April 2017, 08:12

I'd like the top 2 of each race qualify, with all the first place teams seeded vs all the second race teams for the first round (not just the same race).
Won't happen though as it takes effort. That's the real reason the format won't change, we all know ;)

dode74

Postby dode74 » 03 April 2017, 09:34

I'd like the top 2 of each race qualify, with all the first place teams seeded vs all the second race teams for the first round (not just the same race).
We're looking at a possible top 2 as an option if we expand, but won't be seeding unless and until LE allows it.
Won't happen though as it takes effort. That's the real reason the format won't change, we all know ;)
Your appreciation for the entirely voluntary work the admin team already puts in to create a competitive environment for you to play in and profit from is noted ;)

twitch/the_sage_bb
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/theSagebb/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/the_Sage_BB

Postby twitch/the_sage_bb » 03 April 2017, 11:48

Which opponents you happen to run into matters a lot, sure (damn you Enarion!). I'm not sure whether a single match between the top 2 of each race is the way to solve it. Seeding all #1s vs all #2s (of different races) as Jimmy suggests, sounds pretty cool to me, though.

I just hope that when we have 24 races + 8 wild cards, flings gobbos and ogres get 3 tickets, and vamps and KiSlann get two. =D
Content: Twitch / Youtube ; Updates: Facebook / Twitter
(because people with big banners are just compensating)

vgpurist
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/vgpurist/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/vgpurist

Postby vgpurist » 03 April 2017, 15:03

I don't believe a seeding-system of highest ranked qualifying team on the leaderboard against the lowest ranked team is fair. The reason being that some races are harder to get a good record with than others. For example, it's rough to get a good start with Nurgle unless you are really lucky/fantastic.

I have been #1 on the leaderboard 3 seasons out of 4 (GG) and I wouldn't mind being seeded against "worse" opponents, I just don't see a fair way to determine the seeding.
This is pretty much the biggest reason why we can probably never use seeding. There are races that will struggle no matter what and if we force them to play against the top teams because of seeding then it would make it that much more difficult for people to bring their mediocre team to the playoffs. I've been an administrator of a league for a very long time and I know from personal experience that many people will not play if they do not think they have a chance.

Some of you may not realize this but coaches will look at the other top teams making it to the playoffs and will delete their team or pull their team from the competition if they feel they don't have a chance already. Seeding would only exacerbate this problem even more.

This is partially the reason why we have to dig so deep at times to find a person willing to go. We go through great lengths to contact these folks because they themselves don't even realize that they made it.

This in turn has made us postpone 32 teams for the playoffs. I wanted it myself but the legwork that may be required every 6 weeks is somewhat daunting.
VG Purist

YouTube
Twitch

Return to “Former Seasons”