2-minute turns next season

help

2-minute turns next season

Postby help » 28 April 2017, 05:46

Could we start a movement to get the turn timer changed to two minute turns next season?

We've had 3 minute turns for (nearly) 4 seasons now. Games take too long and I'm surprised no one has changed it yet.

The open league would be more suited to having a long turn timer. Folks playing in champs shouldn't need the extra minute per turn.

Thoughts?

Javelin

Re: 2-minute turns next season

Postby Javelin » 28 April 2017, 17:25

Personally I think 3 minute turns are fine, but the meta of the champions ladder does make them a bit frustrating. If they are being used for a coach to make decisions I have no issue with it. The problem comes from the fact that the coaches who would normally concede now seem to think it's better to just go AFK. When you have to sit through 10 turns of 3 minute count downs (plus kickoff and half time setups), it gets really frustrating.

The idea of having your turn timer automatically revert to 30 seconds or something for your turn IF you made no action last turn would alleviate this issue a lot. Just let the timer go back to normal once someone actually makes an action.

SirIronclad
Twitter: @SirIronclad

Postby SirIronclad » 28 April 2017, 19:02

Ideally we'll eventually get a reserve time feature. Base turn time of 2 or even 1 minute would be fine, then. I'd also like to see improvements in with or after LE that speed up gameplay in general.

dode74

Postby dode74 » 28 April 2017, 20:19

If they took out the extra timers for you on your turn it'd make things much slicker.

Javelin

Postby Javelin » 28 April 2017, 21:57

Yes, the extra timers again aren't an issue when your opponent is there and using the time to think. It's not very pleasant when you just have to wait through all of them.

It would be fine to just stop doing anything and press end turn when an opponent decides to abandon the game without conceding if you knew they wouldn't come back. But what occurs more often is they'll show up a few turns later to see if you conceded or quit playing; so you have to keep playing to not get caught...

help

Postby help » 28 April 2017, 23:23

AFKing, "time griefing" (mabe a shit term but at least we can have a term for it), and the 15-second extra timers for each decision on your turn are all bad things.

2 minute turns next season will lessen the impact of the above problems a little without requiring any development time. All dev time is understandably allocated to LE at the moment.

LE is where any changes to the time system will be made, maybe we can make another thread to get that on the cards for LE. I'd love to see the extra timer removed and a Hearthstone style quick turn timer for AFKers, for the record.

Overall it will make playing champs ladder more enjoyable. 2 minutes is still plenty of time. I'd just love to have each game take a bit less time, it's insane how long needs to be set aside for a game right now.

Let's do it yeaaaaahhh!

Niessuh

Postby Niessuh » 29 April 2017, 08:20

I find that 3 minute time eases playing with teams that demand carefull positioning, like human races or elves. Leave 2 min for Open League bashing :mrgreen:

vgpurist
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/vgpurist/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/vgpurist

Postby vgpurist » 01 May 2017, 15:38

If you all are saying this because of AFK griefing, reducing the timers will not help this. Please be sure to report them to us.

Personally I am not in favor of reducing the turn timers to 2 minutes as this alienates those that wishes to think over their moves or for those who would like the extra time to ponder over a critical moment in the game.

Most everybody I know who plays this game are older guys who don't move as quickly as they used to and are already feeling the crunch of the 3 minutes.
VG Purist

YouTube
Twitch

help

Postby help » 02 May 2017, 02:05

Okay here we go, wall of text.

It's purely because I want to not have to set aside so much time for a single game of BB. It's rough having to set aside a two hour block for a game, life has a way of intruding on such things. Often I'll find that I have say 1-1.5 hours to spare, but can't queue because it might go longer.

I'd rather there were more substantial changes, but they won't happen now, so I've made this suggestion.

I'm surprised at the lack of support for this TBH. Does no one else feel this pain? I was surprised when I saw champs ladder had 3-minute turns to begin with. I find it hard to believe that anyone that plays a decent number of games in champs ladder would be against this.

2 minutes is plenty of time to think over your moves with all the animations and extra timers added on each action. Sure having more time on a critical turn can be nice, but not at the cost of dragging the game length out by <Dode can probably insert the average game length with 2 minute turns vs 3 minute turns here>.

The thing with longer turn timers is it makes sense to use that time to think - you're handicapping yourself if you don't. It really drags the game out when both players are doing this. Having 3 minutes rather than 2 isn't a better experience IMO.

For the record, I'm also an older guy. Shrug. I'd just like to be able to fit in more games of BB, and not have to bring a book or watch other people wait for their opponents on stream between turns.

Let's also go all out and state that making games shorter will lead to more games being played which will help the matchmaking. Slightly, but whatever. More games benefits everyone.

If no one that plays in champs is keen for this I'll leave it and start another thread in the main forum to try and get more substantial changes in LE.

Valcurdra

Postby Valcurdra » 02 May 2017, 02:16

I am 100% behind help here. For the reasons he stated.

Obviously if we had a limited pause feature it would be even better, but I'll prefer 2 min with or without a pause option.

Surely this deserves a poll setup by the forum admins?

Whichever way the poll goes people can accept the results.

Return to “Champion Ladder PC”