Playing from two PCs on the same router

Any problem? Here should be the solution!
dode74

Playing from two PCs on the same router

Postby dode74 » 04 January 2012, 23:55

This piece of advice was specific for someone who needed it, but is relevant to others as well.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\blood bowl legendary edition\Data\Net\Net.xml defines the ports you will use to connect to other users (for the steam version). The one of you with steam needs to open that file with notepad and change port 16962 to another port (there is advice here -> http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/824378 - it suggests 45654). You then need to port forward that port on your router to the PC with the steam version on it.

If you have the download or the disc version then C:\Program Files (x86)\Cyanide\blood bowl legendary edition\Data\Net\Net.xml is the address where the change needs to be made.

Zunova

Re: Playing from two PCs on the same router

Postby Zunova » 05 January 2012, 15:23

Thats a very random thread to be linking to...

The most important post in there is this one...

It is best to stay in the range 49152-65534 as those port numbers are available to you. If you wish to use numbers outside that range you may need to check the IANA lists, in case they are already allocated.

The Dynamic and/or Private Ports are those from 49152 through 65535
http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers

dode74

Postby dode74 » 05 January 2012, 19:18

Found it on google, and I agree that is the important bit.

VoodooMike

Postby VoodooMike » 03 February 2012, 10:05

Also important to note, when I was writing MorgTalk it seemed that LE doesn't really give a damn which port you tell it to use. It will eventually revert to its original default when you actually play a game. While this may have changed since then... I highly doubt it (it implies change).
Friendly Reminder: Correlation does not equal Causation - tattoo it on the inside of your eyelids if it'll help.

MILLANDSON

Postby MILLANDSON » 03 February 2012, 13:28

Seems to work for me and the missus, who both play BB at the same time.

Moderators do not represent Focus or Cyanide but do, when moderating, act on their behalf. Moderation posts and PMs will be in this colour.

VoodooMike

Postby VoodooMike » 03 February 2012, 14:31

MILLANDSON wrote:Seems to work for me and the missus, who both play BB at the same time.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc - how certain are you that it is the result of the XML file changing the port you're using rather than your router knowing how to route packets properly? Back when I was working on a UDP proxy for game data, changing the port in the NET file only changed the port it initially ran its handshake on, after which it reverted to its usual.

Die Fledermaus: "So you're saying you saved the world last night? Do you have any proof?"
The Tick: "We're still here, aren't we?"
Friendly Reminder: Correlation does not equal Causation - tattoo it on the inside of your eyelids if it'll help.

MILLANDSON

Postby MILLANDSON » 04 February 2012, 00:55

I don't - however, since my router is one of Virgin's 'Superhubs', which, whilst I've never had any problem with it, is often referred to as a pile of crap, and doesn't have several options that most other routers do due to the software they use in it, I wouldn't put it down to the router.

Also, before I changed the port used by my copy of the game, if one of us was logged on, it would either kick the other person off (which was bad when one of us was playing a match online), or not allow the 2nd person to log on in the first place. I changed the Net file, and it suddenly worked, and we could both log on and play at the same time.

Personally, I'd attribute that to the file being changed, since I changed nothing on the router.

Moderators do not represent Focus or Cyanide but do, when moderating, act on their behalf. Moderation posts and PMs will be in this colour.

Return to “Technical Forum”