Chaos Edition: the special offer for players!

The latest news and announcements for the Blood Bowl video games.
bwrpwr

Re: Chaos Edition: the special offer for players!

Postby bwrpwr » 12 October 2012, 06:29

So I wanted to get the game and saw that it claimed to be both in the official store and on Steam. I wanted the non Steam version as I have done with the past editions, but after I downloaded the game, I was surprised to find it telling me that I now had to install Steam and start a Steam account! Where is the version that does not require Steam because it seems like there isn't one?

Darkson

Postby Darkson » 12 October 2012, 06:33

There isn't one (hence why I don't have it).
Galak 3:16 says "There is a point in time that a player really should read the rulebook."
Home of the ARBBL
TalkFantasyFootball admin - PM me if you need help.
Nope, I was talking about a 0TTD on a Blitz! using TTM.

selfy_74

Postby selfy_74 » 12 October 2012, 09:11

I have never had Steam until now and I wasn't really bothered about having it or not. Darkson, can you explain to me in laymans terms what the problem is with Steam please? Does it actually benefit me in any way? Hell, I don't even know what it is really.

Mushu7

Postby Mushu7 » 12 October 2012, 09:20

can you explain to me in laymans terms what the problem is with Steam please? Does it actually benefit me in any way? Hell, I don't even know what it is really.
Steam is the technical term for water vapor, the gaseous phase of water, which is formed when water boils. Water vapor cannot be seen, though in common language it is often used to refer to the visible mist of water droplets formed as this water vapor condenses in the presence of cooler air. Strictly speaking, in terms of the chemistry and physics, true steam is invisible. At lower pressures, such as in the upper atmosphere or at the top of high mountains water boils at a lower temperature than the nominal 100 °C (212 °F) at standard temperature and pressure. If heated further it becomes superheated steam.

Steam explosions have been responsible for many foundry accidents, and may also have been responsible for much of the damage to the plant in the Chernobyl accident.

My god I'm #WarpstoneTrolling today
“I want to live till I die. No more, no less.”
E. Izzard

#WarpstoneTrolling mine. 12 Oct 12

targetbsp

Postby targetbsp » 12 October 2012, 09:23

I have never had Steam until now and I wasn't really bothered about having it or not. Darkson, can you explain to me in laymans terms what the problem is with Steam please? Does it actually benefit me in any way? Hell, I don't even know what it is really.
It's a client to allow you to keep all your games together from one source (it). Basically it allows you one login for downloading your games rather than having to remember all the logins for downloading your games from each developer. It also automatically keeps your games up to date for you. It also has xbox style game achievements and provides a variety of social features like a chat client, screenshot sharing, discussion forums.

In the past it was the case that you could buy games on Steam or not on Steam as you chose. It's becoming increasingly popular for games to be Steam only as its a very popular service. Quite a few store bought games and even games from other digital suppliers now simply add to Steam only. It's win-win for the publishers as Steam serves as DRM and yet (most of) their customers actually want it unlike any other DRM that has ever been invented.

People have raised issues with its T&C's which are actually the same as every other software product (and movie and music for that matter). Some people simply don't like having to install extra software beyond what they actually want (the game itself)

The vast majority of people won't care either way. They'll take the game on Steam or not as it comes. Some refuse to buy games if they aren;t on Steam. Others will refuse to buy games if they are client based (such as Steam)

illarion

Postby illarion » 12 October 2012, 09:28

Back in the day, there were real, genuine concerns with Steam - buggy, resource hog etc. These days, that's largely not true.

It's a walled garden app store if you like, akin to Playstation Network, whatever the Xbox one is called, or the iOS/Android stores - but for PC. It also has achievements, voice chat and various other features.

It has the same problems as any walled garden/DRM scheme - you're reliant on the company (Valve) not going bust or turning off the servers, and you have less effective rights than you do with a direct physical or digital purchase. Refusing to use it on these grounds is a valid position IMO, but, frankly, I trust Valve rather more than I do Apple, Sony or Microsoft. Steam is, IMO, the least bad of these platforms. And it does add some value (as well as taking some away).

selfy_74

Postby selfy_74 » 12 October 2012, 09:36

Nice explanations thanks. I especially liked the one about the gaseous phase of water.

One question, why do you trust Valve more than say Microsoft? Is it to do with the nefarious things they may, or may not, be doing? Because surely there is more chance of Valve going bust than Microsoft? Ok, three questions.

illarion

Postby illarion » 12 October 2012, 09:49

I mean I trust Valve "not to be evil" more than the other companies mentioned. They have a pretty good track record of actually caring about their customers, which I wouldn't say for any of the others.

Blacksierra

Postby Blacksierra » 12 October 2012, 11:07

As for Steam - as far as I know - it was the first of this "virtual" distribution tools and was released with Half Life 2 and forced players to have Steam running when playing HL2 ... also upon release it pissed some people off (at least one I know of) because it forced itself into win reg to get autostart whenever you boot your system (evil ???) it was a little bit of a hassle to stop Steam from doing so.
Also today it keeps track of what, when and how long You play (and has Your email ++ CC Info so it probably knows who You are) - this might not be appreciated by everyone ... did I mention I hate yesterdays' future ....
as for not evil ... well companies may dramatically change their personality as their "personality" is controlled by money from whoever ...
FOL Online Standings - check here: http://www.sturmvonstahl.info/fol_standings.php
Sturm von Stahl Web Page http://www.sturmvonstahl.info

targetbsp

Postby targetbsp » 12 October 2012, 14:01

One question, why do you trust Valve more than say Microsoft? Is it to do with the nefarious things they may, or may not, be doing? Because surely there is more chance of Valve going bust than Microsoft? Ok, three questions.
Neither are going to go bust. As for Valve in particular, they have over 50 million Steam users and over 2000 games they sell from which they take a cut as any store would. So as well as whatever money they make from their own games (which are all big news like Portal and Half Life) they profit from everyone elses games. They aren't going anywhere as long as a PC games industry exists!

Return to “News & Announcements”