BLOOD BOWL ENTERS THE PITCH... ON IPAD AND ANDROID TABLETS!

The latest news and announcements for the Blood Bowl video games.
Waldorf

Re: BLOOD BOWL ENTERS THE PITCH... ON IPAD AND ANDROID TABLE

Postby Waldorf » 03 July 2014, 08:40

That gives me a nice mental picture of you which will serve me well in future :)
Mahrak Cardinals - Division G.

pmm_fin

Postby pmm_fin » 03 July 2014, 10:02

Please do not force tablet devices on Android. I hate to see apps I cannot install on my phone despite having 1080p 5,7" display just because a developer has decided that the app shouldn't be run on phones.

Proxi Winther Rex

Postby Proxi Winther Rex » 03 July 2014, 19:17

Will it run on Windows Phones too???

dode74

Postby dode74 » 03 July 2014, 21:28

I thought (and I may well be misinformed here) that newer Windows phones run Android apps?

Proxi Winther Rex

Postby Proxi Winther Rex » 04 July 2014, 13:01

I thought (and I may well be misinformed here) that newer Windows phones run Android apps?
Not that I know of... But I don't know for sure...

dode74

Postby dode74 » 04 July 2014, 13:16

Seems you're right, it was just something I recall reading as a possibility: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/windows ... -near-you/

JoyGun

Postby JoyGun » 06 July 2014, 12:48

I really hope & pray for "asynchronous multiplayer mode", and for BB reaching out to Windows Phone too - in the near future ;)

VoodooMike

Postby VoodooMike » 06 July 2014, 18:40

@Waldorf : To be more precise, as the tablet version will allow cross play with other platforms, the skill logic is the same as in Blood Bowl Chaos Edition. And so it synch with BB1 servers.
A more important clarification here is will the game still run as a P2P matching system? Despite having changed the matchmaking servers you guys are still using the old UDP P2P match communication on Chaos Edition... and to make the game cross-platform compatible it would need to use the same communication system. The reason this is important is that mobile devices are FAR less reliable for P2P communication than desktop machines... while they're capable of it like any other machine, most devices are even less likely to default to allow incoming connections or incoming data, and many mobile internet providers simply won't route new communications to a mobile device. We could be looking at an even LESS reliable "connection" system on mobile than we did across all the PC versions.
Tablets are for gaming on the go, a 10 minute coffee break or on a bus, expecting a hardcore multiplayer session is just mindboggling.
Yes, this is absolutely true. For games that last, on average, an hour, tablets and mobile devices are poor choices. A heavy CPU program running for an hour to an hour and a half will be rough on the battery, as well, especially when its making extensive use of wireless or even mobile internet. Now, that doesn't mean there aren't people who will use it on a tablet anyway... and there are some people who use their tablets for things better suited for a desktop machine... but in general mobile devices and BB are a poor fit.
Friendly Reminder: Correlation does not equal Causation - tattoo it on the inside of your eyelids if it'll help.

krunsh

Postby krunsh » 07 July 2014, 23:19

boardgames are actually a lot of fun on tablet. I would totally go to the park and play a game of blood bowl under a tree.

pmm_fin

Postby pmm_fin » 08 July 2014, 14:49

boardgames are actually a lot of fun on tablet. I would totally go to the park and play a game of blood bowl under a tree.
That's true even with local live players. If the game is well implemented and the rule set is without bugs, then gaming on a tablet can be much fun since you don't need game pieces or score keeping or fight about rules. Sitting on a picnic, playing a match of Carcassonne can be great fun but you'd never do it with the physical tabletop game. Now I'n not entirely sure if I could get my girlfriend into Blood Bowl ;)

Return to “News & Announcements”