BLOOD BOWL ENTERS THE PITCH... ON IPAD AND ANDROID TABLETS!

The latest news and announcements for the Blood Bowl video games.
pmm_fin

Re: BLOOD BOWL ENTERS THE PITCH... ON IPAD AND ANDROID TABLE

Postby pmm_fin » 30 July 2014, 10:33

Great news and thanks for letting us know!

LunchMoney

Postby LunchMoney » 30 July 2014, 16:54

Freki wrote:Hey,

We apologize for the delay. It was quite difficult to get the release date from Apple, but Blood Bowl is arriving tomorrow on iPad and Android tablets!

Wow, now how about you stop ignoring some of the questions raised here?
Contact lunchmoney@exilesleague.com
Click here to read how to score in one turn, with a MA6 player
Read the actual rule book? If not, get it here and read it before posting questions about rules.
I am a NAF rep. Email me your questions.

BloodSkull

Postby BloodSkull » 31 July 2014, 04:34

I hate this bot it started just before the world cup and I wanna smack it in the face.

Darkson

Postby Darkson » 31 July 2014, 05:32

Don't hate it enough to report it though... :roll:
Galak 3:16 says "There is a point in time that a player really should read the rulebook."
Home of the ARBBL
TalkFantasyFootball admin - PM me if you need help.
plasmoid wrote:And hey, don't knock masturbating. Judging from this thread, it's a reasonably popular pastime.

spinal2k

Postby spinal2k » 31 July 2014, 07:12

Got it for Android! :)

http://bit.ly/1rJXNVR

Looks lush!!! Only four races available as DLC to a total of 6 races with the bundled orcs and humans.

pmm_fin

Postby pmm_fin » 31 July 2014, 07:49

Thank you for nothing Cyanide. As I feared, this game has been forced to work only on tablets, not on Android phones. No matter if you have a 5,7" 1080p display, you cannot buy and install this on your phone while it would problably install just fine on a tablet a few generations old and with less pixels on the screen.

May I ask why? What would you lose with a larger customer base who could buy it?

VoodooMike

Postby VoodooMike » 31 July 2014, 08:24

spinal2k wrote:Got it for Android! :)

Cool - can you confirm that the game is cross-platform compatible? It may be something that someone who already has CE has to do - try to find their own team among the league listings on the tablet version.

pmm_fin wrote:Thank you for nothing Cyanide. As I feared, this game has been forced to work only on tablets, not on Android phones. No matter if you have a 5,7" 1080p display, you cannot buy and install this on your phone while it would problably install just fine on a tablet a few generations old and with less pixels on the screen.

May I ask why? What would you lose with a larger customer base who could buy it?

Not that I'm in a hurry to defend them, what with there being another round of them making threats toward me and all, but as a developer myself I will say that it is a much bigger pain in the ass to push an app that isn't made for typically-sized phone displays to the store as a phone app using only the text disclaimer that you should only do so if you have a big display... than it is to simply leave out the phone option.

While smart users don't take ratings too much to heart, the morons who didn't bother to read the warning and purchased it sight-unseen do count as legitimate users when those ratings are calculated, and a the proportion of smart users to lazy and stupid users is pretty small. By not including the phone option in a game that really needs tablet sizes to work, you do lose out on a small proportion of people who would be buying it because they really do have the hardware to run it, but you tend to preclude the PR butchery from the stupid people who don't, but managed to screw themselves by not bothering to read.

Of course, not all rating-compilation sources require it be confirmed that you have a game before you can downrate it, but in general people tend to only rate games they actually have - few people are so incensed by their inability to buy a game that they go hunting for ways to badmouth it.
Friendly Reminder: Correlation does not equal Causation - tattoo it on the inside of your eyelids if it'll help.

BloodSkull

Postby BloodSkull » 31 July 2014, 08:37

Darkson wrote:Don't hate it enough to report it though... :roll:

I honestly thought I did. oh well.

pmm_fin

Postby pmm_fin » 31 July 2014, 08:40

Well, I guess I can always hope they'll relax the tablet requirement later when (and if) they've gotten their positive reviews going. I don't bother buying this at the moment for my tablet since I rarely carry it with me and if I do, I usually have the laptop as well.

I wonder what is the actual restriction? Do the Android devices identify themselves as phones or tablets or is there a screen size parameter that they can request? I guess the resolution of the display plays no role since 1080p should be sifficient.

VoodooMike

Postby VoodooMike » 31 July 2014, 09:03

pmm_fin wrote:I wonder what is the actual restriction? Do the Android devices identify themselves as phones or tablets or is there a screen size parameter that they can request? I guess the resolution of the display plays no role since 1080p should be sifficient.

With root access you can alter the config to appear as any sort of device you want. The specific procedure is something better left to a google search based on your version and hardware, but I think its safe to say that you're not the first person who wanted to install an app on hardware (or in a location) that isn't on the approved list.

One comment though - resolution is not the only concern with mobile apps... its the physical size related to that resolution. Its very easy for a device that can handle the full display in terms of pixels to have gui controls that are simply unrealistically small for the physical display size. When it comes to apps for phones, I've always had to at least partially re-work the interface, even if the app was fully capable of running, as is, on the phone itself.... phone-sized interfaces need to be so damned big that if they were displayed on any other sort of device they'd make your eyes hurt.
Friendly Reminder: Correlation does not equal Causation - tattoo it on the inside of your eyelids if it'll help.

Return to “News & Announcements”