What team for long-term? Advice wanted

Everything dealing with the video game developed by Cyanide!
MattDakka

Re: What team for long-term? Advice wanted

Postby MattDakka » 30 October 2011, 19:07

Matt's synopsis is sound if you work form the assumption that maintaining a high TV is the aim. If the aim is to win games then there are 13 races better at that than Chaos and 15 better than Nurgle (by win% from FOL stats). The top 3 are Undead, Lizards and Amazons by win%.
My statement is the following: at high TV, in a MM environment the best teams are Chaos and Nurgle, in my opinion.
In a tournament format, short league (where a high TV cannot be reached) or in MM at low TV they both suck, because they start with very few skills.
Chaos and Nurgle gain more benefits than Undead, Lizards and Amazons by staying at high TV, we already discussed this previously, in the other forum as well, Amazons and Undead peak their efficiency at lower TV than Chaos and Nurgle.
About Lizardmen, they start with high ST players, and they are strong at high TV, but they don't want to stay there because Chaos and Nurgle players can shredder the Sauri.
High TV it's not a sheer goal in itself, but Chaos and Nurgle benefit more of it, this is my point.

dode74

Postby dode74 » 30 October 2011, 21:02

Koadah - fair enough on the first comment - I just wanted to be clear. The second one is regarding MM because that's what the OP said he wanted to progress to.

Matt - fair enough. I'm not sure I'd disagree, but then I would say that the VAST majority of MM play takes place at lower TVs.

Slyspy

Postby Slyspy » 30 October 2011, 22:45

The trouble is that bash teams just need Tackle to make them more effective at bashing and their agile opponents less effective at dodging.

Where is the skill which makes agile teams more effective at the cost of bashy teams?

dode74

Postby dode74 » 30 October 2011, 22:53

Diving tackle, sidestep, jump up...
Take your pick :)

Dalthius

Postby Dalthius » 31 October 2011, 14:56

I finally decided on the Necromantic team for my first run through; I've enjoyed moderate success, but lost harshly to the Skavens(sp?). I learned to counter their tactics by the second match, though. The werewolves seem like good star players, and golems are quite effective if you pull them off the scrimage line and put them off to the sides.

We shall see how it goes, but I do find myself longing for a team a bit better at the passing game. Perhaps my second run through I will use DE; Chaos seems to have lost attractiveness to me.

Steele

Postby Steele » 01 November 2011, 14:10

My advice for long term play?

Play the team you identify the most with. They will last.

Me, I like elves. Can't get enough of them. I love running circles around the slower teams and throwing TD's from the Line of Scrimmage. Any kind of Elf team will do.
I've played pretty much all other teams to around 2000TV, some multiplayer, som single. I enjoyed that. But I keep returning to the Elves because they are the ones I love.

Don't create a team based on stat whoring (i.e. you *must* play Chaos because the have claw+MB+Piling on!!!111).
It's all fine if the only aspect you enjoy of the game is killing people, but choose with the heart, not with the head.

The race you like the most, the one you think is "coolest", is the right one for you.
That is the race you will invest energy into learning the finer points of advanced tactics with, because they're just....cool. And as a beneficial side-effect, you will win more.
Way more than a team that was only created by comparing little numbers on paper :)

Tavares

Postby Tavares » 22 March 2018, 18:50

Generally speaking, the teams more suited to play well and to keep a high TV are Chaos and Nurgle, for access to mutations/strength skills and because they start with at least 4 players having ST 4. Yes, 2 heads, big hand and other stuff is useful, but everybody knows that the combo Claw/MB/PO is the most used, you can't play Chaos and Nurgle without killer players.
Yes, they can have a bad match and lose some TV, but these teams can stay at high TV easier than the other teams (Nurgle has Regeneration spread around, which helps reducing injuries).

Return to “General”