When and How to use the Kick skill

Your rosters, your strategies, advice, etc.
nilp

When and How to use the Kick skill

Postby nilp » 13 October 2011, 15:41

I've been playing BB for well over 20 years and have to admit I have never really used the skill much. What are some of the nifty tricks you do with it in various match ups?

Thanks!

n

shrimpcowboy

Re: When and How to use the Kick skill

Postby shrimpcowboy » 13 October 2011, 18:40

i feel like there are two camps on kick people who use it and people who dont. personally i am one of the people who does not use it. now like you i have been playing since the table top days in the 90's and here are the two ways i have seen kick be used effectively

1. you put the ball right next to the line of scrimage which makes the other coach feel the preasure right away from your defence. personally i think this works a little better going against fast teams because they wont have 1-2 turns of there thrower being out of harms way while they set up there catchers. a bash team would just cage and be like thanks which brings me to my next point...

2. send it deep so you can try and out run slower teams and slow down the cage from forming. they have to take the ball a lot farther down the field and with staling them makes the preasure a build quicker.

like i said personally i dont use the skill but one cool thing is at least i think its true is you get to decide to cut the scatter in half after you see the roll of the direction the ball scatters.

nilp

Postby nilp » 13 October 2011, 19:27

Yeah thanks! I have seen it used like that as well as using it to setup a blitz when you really need one.

A big question I have is where people target the ball on kickoffs. Am I correct in assuming that the maximum scatter from a Kick use is 9 squares with the average being 3-4 squares?

Managarn

Postby Managarn » 13 October 2011, 20:31

Yeah thanks! I have seen it used like that as well as using it to setup a blitz when you really need one.

A big question I have is where people target the ball on kickoffs. Am I correct in assuming that the maximum scatter from a Kick use is 9 squares with the average being 3-4 squares?
w/o kick the ball lands 1d6 away from where you kicked it in a random direction. The ball bounce once(if perfect weather it bounce a second time).

with kick the ball lands 1d3 squares away from where you kick it and doesnt bounce(once if there's weather)

So maximum it can land from where you kicked it is 4 square with the kick. So 4 square away from the side and the top is the spot to kick at for a deep kick.

nilp

Postby nilp » 13 October 2011, 20:52

w/o kick the ball lands 1d6 away from where you kicked it in a random direction. The ball bounce once(if perfect weather it bounce a second time).

with kick the ball lands 1d3 squares away from where you kick it and doesnt bounce(once if there's weather)

So maximum it can land from where you kicked it is 4 square with the kick. So 4 square away from the side and the top is the spot to kick at for a deep kick.
Show how does it work out where I sometimes get balls landing off the pitch when aiming at the middle of the pitch without kick skills?
(For some reason I was thinking it was 3 separate d6 scatter rolls and Kick skill caused the scatters to be halved)

On a semi related note...has anyone figured out what the computer does when it auto kicks off for you if you let the timer run out? Does it just aim at the middle or is there another random factor?

Thanks!

Moronik

Postby Moronik » 14 October 2011, 10:37

Depnding on what team you are, I would consider Kick to be one of the most important skills in the game.

With an agile and fairly bashy team (like dark elves) having Kick allows me to dictate the pace of the game.

I will almost always kick short at the beginning of the half, kicking to one side, 4 diagonal squares away from where the Halfway Line meets edge of the pitch.

The reasons for this are:

a) so I can pressure the ball immediately

b) to maximise the effectiveness of getting a 'Blitz' at kickoff

c) if the ball falls to the most favourable side, it puts the opponents other flank far far away from the ball

I have scored countless times on defence from using this exact method. Indeed with some teams (vampires) I find it far easier to score like this than when I am receiving!

When it is late in the game, I will kick deep - thus forcing the opponent to run back to retrieve the ball - and thus using up valuable turns.

Also it should be noted that having Kick forces the opponent to cover each corner of their backfield, and makes it much harder for them to score a quick TD.

Colonel Panic

Postby Colonel Panic » 14 October 2011, 13:30

Against a slower, bashier opponent, I will nearly always kick deep and send at least two players after it. This means they either need to send players backwards to deal with my sackers and protect the ball (good), or try to do something stupid and risky like throwing a pass to midfield, risking a fumble and turnover (better).

Against an opponent who's faster than me, I will try to kick shallow (onside kick). A Blitz result should give you ball possession or at least put a bunch of tackle zones on it, but even without a Blitz it puts a lot of pressure on your opponent.

Return to “Roster & Strategies”