Ogre Tactics, Strategies and Builds

Your rosters, your strategies, advice, etc.
Colonel Panic

Re: Ogre Tactics, Strategies and Builds

Postby Colonel Panic » 31 January 2012, 17:19

Is Sneaky Git worth it on a snotling? the TV hit is the same as just buying another snot, and since many of your fouls are gangfouls, it doesn't really come into play much. I can't think of many situations where I'd prefer a snotling with Sneaky Git to two rookie snotlings.

Agree with Managarn, there's not much you can do about Bonehead. Pro helps, but not so much that you'd pass up taking Block ... so for your second doubles, consider Pro (as well as Sure Hands, Tackle, Frenzy ... so many skills you need). The only other thing you can do is stock up on team rerolls, but even then save them for when you really NEED that dumb$#!7 to pay attention.

There is no way to increase your maximum throwing range. Taking Strong Arm does reduce the chance of fumbling your ballcarrier. Also block/blitz opposing tackle zones off of your thrower. Also remember that you can move and throw, so you can walk an Ogre to a square in front of your ballcarrier and then chuck him downfield. It's only one square, but if you've ever done the TTM play you know that one square often makes all the difference.
One other thing, thrower agility is completely irrelevant to throwing teammates. This is a common misconception.

Edit: Passing skills DO apply to Throw Teammate, so Pass, Accurate, and Nerves are all great choices for doubles IF you're building an Ogre specifically for Throw Teammate. No you can not Hail Mary Pass a snotling. You can't dump-off either. I'm not saying I recommend actually building an Ogre for that very specialized task, but if you do, it's an option.

WastedTrojan

Postby WastedTrojan » 31 January 2012, 22:51

I would never take sg on a str1 player who costs 20k. There is barely a consequence to him being sent off! Take dirty player on doubles but I wouldn't bother with sneaky git

HC-Vanselow

Postby HC-Vanselow » 16 February 2012, 22:34

:lol: Greatest Ogre memory: I had one of the musclebound oafs level up to AG 3 and in the next game bolted along the Astrogranite 40 yards and scored 2 touchdowns too. All of this when I'm preparing to relaunch the Shamutanti Hills Horde. Should be interesting...

d_fly

Postby d_fly » 06 April 2012, 15:58

So I'm a bit perplexed as to what I want to do with an ogre who just skilled up (this is for my OCC team, if anyone cares). Anyhow, the team has 2 ogres with +ST, and they're awesome. Well one, who has the +ST, BT, guard, and a -MA, just rolled another 6/6 for his skill-up. 7 ST would be hilarious, but block would make him not only more reliable for my own blocking, but obnoxious in terms of being able to take hits (and given stand firm next, just a total pain in the ass). Tackle has merit, but with only 4 MA, he's not as likely to be able to chase down the cage as he once was, which, given his ST and BT, would be harder than actually making it into the cage. What are your thoughts?

Colonel Panic

Postby Colonel Panic » 06 April 2012, 18:38

Block, and never look back.

HC-Vanselow

Postby HC-Vanselow » 06 April 2012, 21:05

:P My Shamutanti Hills Horde has taken flight again behind the captaincy of Mr. "Pee Wee" M'Grashackle who is brutal on the Astrogranite as the Ogres have got a 1-1-0 record after demolishing a Pro Elf team and sending 5 mamby pamby lil' pansies to the Casualty box (He started the game with 11 players)...

timdog

Postby timdog » 09 April 2012, 20:03

d_fly wrote:So I'm a bit perplexed as to what I want to do with an ogre who just skilled up (this is for my OCC team, if anyone cares). Anyhow, the team has 2 ogres with +ST, and they're awesome. Well one, who has the +ST, BT, guard, and a -MA, just rolled another 6/6 for his skill-up. 7 ST would be hilarious, but block would make him not only more reliable for my own blocking, but obnoxious in terms of being able to take hits (and given stand firm next, just a total pain in the ass). Tackle has merit, but with only 4 MA, he's not as likely to be able to chase down the cage as he once was, which, given his ST and BT, would be harder than actually making it into the cage. What are your thoughts?

Damn, i get your dilema. Str 7 is crazy, but yeah i'd probably go block.

Anraka

Postby Anraka » 12 April 2012, 14:31

Ok, here is rather unusual problem:

My Ogre was lucky and now I have:
- AG4, MV6 player

The question is - what next?

On the normal roll I was thinking about Juggernout as his role is to break through the defence and run to the end zone, while the rest of the team can mark the dangerous players.

Another option: Strong Arm opens quite interesting play with Snot Catchers
Last option: Break Tackle is pretty much covered by the already high AG

The real problem is what to do if I roll double:
1. Sure Hands - saves reroll and protects from the Strip Ball
2. Block
3. Dodge

I think dodge could be the best choice as it offers some protection and at ther same time can help with dodging out from players who mark you.

well... your thoughts?

d_fly

Postby d_fly » 12 April 2012, 15:51

I'd still go with BT on a normal roll. 2+ dodge into a TZ, 2+ dodge into an open spot, and then make for the endzone, if that's what it comes down to. On doubles for a BC ogre, sure hands is by far your best choice. I have a 3 AG sure hands ogre, and he's great. Without sure hands, even with that high ST, all it takes is some crazy war dancer to hop in the cage/screen/whatever you can muster with strip ball, and even though she may not get that knock down, the ball will probably be coming loose.

Colonel Panic

Postby Colonel Panic » 12 April 2012, 15:57

I disagree with Fly and wouldn't take Break Tackle. Most of your dodges will be into the open, which are 2+ anyway. Dodging through traffic is more of an emergency situation and doesn't happen enough to waste a skill on your star. I would go for Juggs, or Stand Firm. But I agree, take Sure Hands on doubles (although I wouldn't argue much with Block or Dodge ... boring, but effective.

Return to “Roster & Strategies”