Chaos Dwarves and Bull Centaurs

Your rosters, your strategies, advice, etc.
BloodSkull

Re: Chaos Dwarves and Bull Centaurs

Postby BloodSkull » 13 July 2014, 13:54

MattDakka wrote:
hermanJnr. wrote:Yeah, see for me this minmaxing is what absolutely kills the fun of BB, or at least BB in a matchmaking system. Contrary to the other comment, I don't think that's a "nice team", I think it's pretty lame. Yeah, by all means manage your team. Do manage the TV, to an extent. But just absolutely kicking the arse out of every drop of TV and every skill up to exploit the value matching system...

On FUMBBL after a team has played 29 matches there is no guarantee that it will be paired with a team having either the same TV or a very close one, so the rampant minmaxing has been partially addressed.

How much of a TV are you moved up to or is it an every so often you get a completely random team?

Code: Select all

Blitzer: Block, Guard, MB, +1 STR (MNG)
Blitzer: Block,Guard, MB
Blitzer: Block, Dodge, Guard (Niggling Injury)
Blitzer: Block, Dodge,Guard
Lineman: Dirty Player
Lineman: <Rookie>
Thrower: Block, Guard
Thrower: Block , Guard
Catcher: +2 MA, Sprint, Sure Feet

Well I understand that MinMaxing is draining the fun out of MM and you wont appreciate the idea of this team, but that is basically what is needed to make the best out of the MinMaxing CDs.

Unfortunately Claw is the only effective way of taking care of AV8+, and there are only a few non bash teams that have access to the skill Skaven, UnderWorld and Necromatic (I consider them to be a mixed running team and the werewolf GA does not help it's cause). If Agility teams where given better and more effective ways to deal with bash teams this would be less of a problem.

Matt does have a nice team, but I believe that teams with enough Guard could just take out his HobGobs for the numbers game benefit. If the numbers game is in your favor you would never need use the fast DT Catcher. The thing with Blood Bowl is bash has always been heavily favored.

I don't think BB should be a game where your primary objective is to stop your team growing as it naturally would in order to forever smash teams that have sub-optimal skill levels to you at that TV.

That is one of the many problems with MM systems because there is no incentive to not stop your own team growth when you have hit your TV Sweet Spot.

MattDakka

Postby MattDakka » 13 July 2014, 14:33

BloodSkull wrote:
MattDakka wrote:On FUMBBL after a team has played 29 matches there is no guarantee that it will be paired with a team having either the same TV or a very close one, so the rampant minmaxing has been partially addressed.

How much of a TV are you moved up to or is it an every so often you get a completely random team?

After 29 games there is no limit to the opponent's TV.
To summarize, the MM works like so:
- Below 3 games played, max TV difference allowed is within 10%
- For 3 to 9 games played, max TV difference allowed is within 15%
- For 10 to 29 games played, max TV difference allowed is (15 + (games - 10) * 2)%
- For 30 or more games, any opponent is allowed

BloodSkull wrote:Matt does have a nice team, but I believe that teams with enough Guard could just take out his HobGobs for the numbers game benefit.

Err... it's not mine :D . I used it as example but I personally don't like to play minmaxed teams.

BloodSkull wrote:That is one of the many problems with MM systems because there is no incentive to not stop your own team growth when you have hit your TV Sweet Spot.

Hence the removal of the close-TV pairing after 29 games. You can still control your TV but you risk to meet a team with a TV way higher than yours.

hermanJnr.

Postby hermanJnr. » 13 July 2014, 16:26

I like the sound of that 29 game system. Thirty games is more than enough for a team to get going, and it would also make inducements useful for teams like the stunties in MM.

It'd be much, much better to be able to run a team however you want rather than thinking "If I add one more player I'm inevitably going to run into the skulking kill squads that would be at 2000 TV if they hadn't cut half their players" :\
Formerly on the boards as "NinjaGammaMan".

MattDakka

Postby MattDakka » 14 July 2014, 00:12

Yep, probably is not a perfect system but it's better than nothing.

Koadah

Postby Koadah » 14 July 2014, 05:23

hermanJnr. wrote:I like the sound of that 29 game system. Thirty games is more than enough for a team to get going, and it would also make inducements useful for teams like the stunties in MM.

It'd be much, much better to be able to run a team however you want rather than thinking "If I add one more player I'm inevitably going to run into the skulking kill squads that would be at 2000 TV if they hadn't cut half their players" :\

The 29 game system does not stop min/maxing. People are still free to do it. What it means is that once your team has passed 29 games it could be matched against a real 2000TV killer team.

Strangely, the system seems to work at lower TV. Maybe because the low TV min/maxers were such cowards. Though I am not sure about the effect on mid TV teams. 1500-1700 teams know those TV2000 killers are waiting for them. previously they avoided those teams
CaRBB

hermanJnr.

Postby hermanJnr. » 14 July 2014, 09:47

Koadah wrote:
hermanJnr. wrote:I like the sound of that 29 game system. Thirty games is more than enough for a team to get going, and it would also make inducements useful for teams like the stunties in MM.

The 29 game system does not stop min/maxing. People are still free to do it. What it means is that once your team has passed 29 games it could be matched against a real 2000TV killer team.

Which I'd actually be cool with, even if my team got smashed, because I'd have full inducements and it makes sense for the opposition to have more skills if they're higher TV rather than cheesily hiding their advantage through hiring a bunch of rookies and having Level 7 killers/ball carriers at 1400 TV :P

It would at the least discourage these clowns that sit around 1300-1500 TV and disco, plug-pull or concede the moment one of their L7 players gets BH, which I think is the apex of irritation with the game for me.

Also, you could presumably fit an additional rule: if a team's TV drops by X% (where X is larger than, say, 30%) in one match due to MNGs or killed players (fired players don't count), that team gets matched to a team of similar TV for their next match only, after which TV reverts to no longer being a matching criteria.

This would stop you having one crappy match full of injuries followed by getting hammered by TV 2000 teams for eternity, while still making life harder for people who want to cheese the rules.
Formerly on the boards as "NinjaGammaMan".

Return to “Roster & Strategies”