Goblin Tactics, Strategies and Builds

Your rosters, your strategies, advice, etc.
GaryW

Re: Goblin Tactics, Strategies and Builds

Postby GaryW » 06 May 2013, 20:09

Gitsy wrote:Just to throw something fresh into this thread. What LOS do you gobbo coaches prefer to use and in which matchups? I find that, while the most common LOS of use is the two trolls and Goblins, I am beginning to find, inversely, 1 troll and two gobbos or three Gobbo LOS tends to work significantly better, that way I have two trolls ready to "intercept" or at least ready themselves for the opposition advance rather than be pushed.

I find the only times where a duo troll LOS is required is during the early team values, particularly vs Zons and agility teams like the Elves. What are your thoughts?

For me it depends on the opposition and the situation I am in. Before it was always 2 trolls and a gobo, but now I vary it up which can keep my opponent on their toes ( I hope :D ). If I'm against a team that is not really bash (i.e an elf, skaven) and I'm receiving, then generally it is 2 trolls and 1 gobs. I can vary that up with 2 trolls and 3 gobs if I want the gobs to block. If I have the weapons that can be another formation as well with both trolls, 2 gobs and fanatic on the front lines.

I find against bash teams, on the offence you can do as above, but it is on defence that pulling your trolls back of the line is really good idea. If you leave them on the LOS, then you will be ganged up upon and your defence can just crumble, leaving you with just gobs to take down a ball carrier/cage. I normally now place 3 gobs on the extremes on the line, with the tolls 4, or more tiles back. This leaves you free to move your trolls to where they are needed, actually creating road blocks to slow the opponent down and stop them just brushing you aside and scoring at will. They generally have to work for a score!

Also one time I had my SS goblin on a corner on the LOS and was able to get pushed around so it gave me a chance at annoying/going for his ball carrier :) Having just gobs on the LOS can really annoy the other player cause sometimes they don't drop and they end up wasting several pieces turn just to try take down a gob :D

Against agile, quick teams I tend to struggle on the defence as normally your tolls are too slow, so the ground work has be done by gobs. So I find trolls on the line are best just to try and tie up as many players as possible.

The other time I vary that, is if I'm going for 1TD score with TTM then a troll is obviously pulled back. Break Tackle can also kinda hide this tactic as well, but if you 1- nil down, then I expect my opponent to expect that play :)
Last edited by GaryW on 07 May 2013, 16:54, edited 1 time in total.

HC-Vanselow

Postby HC-Vanselow » 06 May 2013, 20:40

My Killwhackee Schmucks usually have a LOS of Karnij Ironclaw (Troll), Squeaky Slagwipe (Goblin) and Zandali Shatterspear (Troll) against Bash or Agility teams. Very rarely do I use a trio of Goblins on the LOS and never position my Fanatic on the LOS, he always finds himself about a square or two behind the LOS, sort of like a middle linebacker.

Nodi

Postby Nodi » 06 May 2013, 21:33

I don't like to put my fanatic far from the opponent players. Even when he got 4 / 27 chances to not hit someone, he manage to dodge around players :roll:
If he had to move him somewhere, I guess he would end in the opposite way.
But sometimes he makes crazy moves pushing the right gob on the right place and so on.
I put him on LOS in defence when I have 2 Fanatics in my roster, as said before.
Last edited by Nodi on 07 May 2013, 14:39, edited 1 time in total.

HC-Vanselow

Postby HC-Vanselow » 06 May 2013, 21:49

Nodi, how do you get two Fanatics on your roster when there isn't a Star Player Fanatic available ??? Perhaps I'm missing out on something as I don't have Chaos Edition yet.

Gitsy

Postby Gitsy » 06 May 2013, 22:15

I am sorry I should have been more specific, I was mainly referring to defense but offense is fine too! Just so this isn't too short and adding to that comment, on offense I have actually started to place 5 players on, as a minimum, just to get myself into the habit of forming a "pseudo" box esque type formation. If there is one thing which has prevented me from getting properly good with Goblins its my absolute failure to keep a consistent offensive strategy. Granted having Loner Trolls doesn't help that fact but I just find it strange how out of all the races in this remarkable game, it is the one I love the most which has still been beyond my grasp to really "get". I am certainly far better than when I started, but still, my performance with the green fellows is like a pendulum.

Further more, formations I have found with the main races is critical and in a similar fashion I simply cannot have a "staple" in my head on what set up exactly works more often than not. Being Stunty of course, demanding any form of consistent performance is in itself an exercise in futility but I would have thought by now I could have formulated something. I have done so with the mainstream teams in far less time but not so for my little Greenskins. Tragedy that.

Colonel Panic

Postby Colonel Panic » 07 May 2013, 07:55

Don't get down on yourself Gitsy, you've clearly had success, and your guide at the start of this thread is what inspired me to play Goblins in my league last season :-D

Also, offense is situational enough that I'm not sure having a "standard" formation is really helpful. It depends on the defense, but it also depends on so many other factors - what weapons do you have available, and do you want to field them now? How much time do you have? I guess the "standard" situation is, receiving at the start of a half, with Chainsaw and Fanatic available - and even then there isn't much you can plan ahead. I like to put Trolls, the Fanatic, and a few gobbos on the front line. Trolls push opponents toward the middle, Fanatic smashes, get the ball behind them, get the chainsaw next to the ball carrier (a tactic I learned from your guide, and which is some of the best advice I've read on this or any other forum). But after that, offense is all reacting to what the defense does. And of course, even that plan gets thrown out when the Troll goes stupid, or the ball lands in a bad place, or the kickoff result sucks ... ...

Itchen Masack

Postby Itchen Masack » 07 May 2013, 08:38

On defence the LOS depends if I have Ripper or not. Prefer to always have the beautiful blue beast :-)
With Ripper in, I'll leave him off the LOS in case a fumble in the backfield or a careless turnover allows a cheeky thrown goblin to steal a TD.

If the opponent has a strong killer team, often leave all trolls off of the LOS as you cant afford to lose one. In a TT tourney i placed all 3 on the LOS. One troll killed, Ripper KO'd for the entire game and the other troll floored. All before I had my first turn :D I'm a bit more careful with them now!

HC-Vanselow

Postby HC-Vanselow » 07 May 2013, 08:42

:mrgreen: With Goblins you can never seem to have a concrete gameplan !!!. "Springs" Verminstink & Co. of the Killwhackee Schmucks can defeat Orcs 3-0, but will struggle to get a 1-0 triumph over 'Flings of all things. I truly can't understand it all, but through all the frustration, I'm going to continue to have a Goblin team forever...

Nodi

Postby Nodi » 07 May 2013, 14:32

HC-Vanselow wrote:Nodi, how do you get two Fanatics on your roster when there isn't a Star Player Fanatic available ??? Perhaps I'm missing out on something as I don't have Chaos Edition yet.

I'm playing a MOD game with all starplayers ^^

Aegis J Hyena

Postby Aegis J Hyena » 21 May 2013, 17:42

http://bbm.jcmag.fr/BloodBowlManager.We ... en&bg=orca (not up to date in that one of the trolls has Multiple Block, but the rest of the team is accurate)

So my trolls get incredibly lucky when they eat a chaos dwarf and the other team ragequits. Both trolls level up.

Captain Barf got 5-5 while Captain Puke got 2-2. Barf's got Multiple Block and Break Tackle, while while Puke's got Block and Break Tackle. Looking at Block for Barf (although on a 10, would you suggest av for survivability / move to have more range?) and Strong Arm for Puke for throwing goblins at things... though also considering Block on Barf and Multiple Block for Puke. I wanna hear what other goblin-throwers suggest, if anything.
Twitter: @Omegatani

Image Image Image Image

Civilization Game! http://www.goblinsforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=90 --- come join us :P

Return to “Roster & Strategies”