Orc Tactics, Strategies and Builds

Your rosters, your strategies, advice, etc.
Palandiell

Re: Orc Tactics, Strategies and Builds

Postby Palandiell » 08 April 2013, 23:13

*push

Colonel Panic

Postby Colonel Panic » 09 April 2013, 09:01

Palandiell wrote:But what sucked was that I need about 5 turns till I got a hole up where I could penetrate his def. Any advice from you guys how to have prevented such much time wasting on my side?

There is no problem. If anything, you scored too quickly.

Orcs are too slow to really play effective defense, it's just too easy to get caught out of position. Offense is easier because you move at your own pace (really damn slow) and your opponent has to come to you if he wants to get the ball. So try to spend as much of the game as possible on offense.

Against a defensive setup like that, just knock your opponent's line back a square, and follow up. Your Necro opponent should have actually been effective against this kind of tactic, most opponents don't have many players with Stand Firm. But if he moves his Golems and Wights in to prevent his line from getting knocked back a square every turn, he has to leave a sideline open - run in your scariest killers and destroy his wolves and ghouls.

Coach puts it better than I can:
http://bbtactics.com/2-1-grind/

Orcs aren't really built to win shootouts. If you want to score more than twice per game, roll Skaven ;)

kabooki

Postby kabooki » 12 April 2013, 17:34

Colonel Panic wrote:Orcs aren't really built to win shootouts. If you want to score more than twice per game, roll Skaven ;)

I have a friend who has a passing Orc team and I have seen them score 4 times verse a dark elf team. Orcs are not as slow as people think. Pass access and plenty of MA 6 allow this to happen. Plus you can always fall back on beating up the opposition.

LloydsGamble

Postby LloydsGamble » 13 April 2013, 16:52

I'll just add some thoughts here about my recent experience with Orcs.

A coach I watched recently said how he only uses a thrower until he can get a lineman with Sure Hands and then discards him. I have tried taking this a step further and skipping throwers entirely. My 3 lineman, 4 blorc, 4 blitzer start has worked out pretty well so far, currently 4-0-0.

This approach is perhaps risky early on before you get Sure Hands, but with careful play securing the ball with a lineman shouldn't be overly difficult. It means the common tactic of targetting the weaker Throwers isn't possible and universal AV9 feels much safer. My first couple of purchases was an apoth and a 4th lineman. Some people may not like having a bench in online MM, but I like the insurance and it means I can play my LOS fodder linemen on defense and my sure hander on offense.

Even with universal AV9, I like having a backup in the likely event you'll lose at least one player during the game.

To min/max a bit, you may want to keep the LOS fodder skill-less, that makes up for the 12th man in some ways, but I'm still experimenting, its early days yet for the team.

Monstrum

Postby Monstrum » 17 April 2013, 06:46

um no. orcs need a thrower, surehands and P access beats a lineorc. pass might also win/draw you that odd 1 in 10 games as well.
av8 isn't that big a problem, on offense he's in the cage, and you can always swap him out with a lineorc on defence.
DISCLAIMER: General advice based on my experience is always correct.

Holy Terror

Postby Holy Terror » 17 April 2013, 14:51

I will keep my 4 agi thrower and blitzer...and orcs can score relatively quickly if you like. I wasnt able to until I gained a few skills but now scoring 3 times happens about 1/3 games, and I rarely get held to less than 2 scores. I can see the appeal of no thrower, but that thrower (if built right) can be a game changer...mine has won me a few games that would have been ties otherwise. This advice is mainly for PL though were tv is less of a concern.

Orcs are fast enough (if positioned properly) to play great defense....your not going to outrun elves, but that is what your BoBs are for....to be road blocks and to impede movement.
Having a bad day? Stop crying and punch a goblin!!!!

LloydsGamble

Postby LloydsGamble » 18 April 2013, 00:02

For a starting team I prefer, 4 blorcs, 4 blitzers, 3 linemen to the traditional 4 blorcs, 4 blitzers, 2 linemen and the thrower. Main reason being I like placing the linemen on the LOS and having my blorcs and blitzers in zig zag columns behind.

I guess making my 12th player a thrower wouldnt be a bad idea, to use only on offense, but I'm happy with the job a sure hands lineman does. I guess I like the trade of +1AV for Pass, and being a lineman he can always be thrown on the LOS if needed and have a good chance of staying unharmed.

whater

Postby whater » 18 April 2013, 21:02

Assuming you have a Troll. I'd always take at least 1 Thrower. Then it depends if I want to take a second thrower or linemen.

I prefer to have two throwers though. I put both of them back deep when I receive kickoffs. Then it doesn't matter which side my opponent kicks to, I have a sure hands guy picking up the ball.

On Defense I take out a thrower, and put in a linemen. So I specialize one of the throwers for offence (Block, then just throwing skills or ball carrying skills). While the linemen is specialized for defense (Wrestle, tackle, kick).

Once your TV gets higher you might consider having a second guy on your bench. Then you can decide between a second linemen or goblin. Personally I'd go with goblin, so you have the 1 turn touchdown opportunity.

My ideal team is:
4 Blitzers
4 BO
1 Troll
2 Throwers
1 Linemen
1 Goblin

Orcacide

Postby Orcacide » 23 April 2013, 18:19

2 throwers is too much AV 8 on the field.

I don't even field a thrower when I'm on defense. Instead, I have a DP lineman who's sole purpose is to get ejected that drive fouling the biggest thing I can put on the ground. Starting roster is the default, 4, 4, 2 lino, thrower. Add apoth, then lineman. After you have enough cash to replace a blitzer or black orc should they die, then buy a troll. No point in having an unskilled troll on the field with a bunch of unskilled black orcs wandering around as well. The team is just too unreliable.

My thrower is currently leading my league in passes. To say you never have to pass with orcs is folly. Sometimes the pass is what gets you the 2-1 win instead of the 1-1 draw. Do you rely on it? No, of course not. My thrower is also leading the league in rushing yards as well. But you need the option, otherwise you might as well be playing khemri and upgrading your black orcs to 5 str.

whater

Postby whater » 23 April 2013, 22:44

Orcacide wrote:2 throwers is too much AV 8 on the field.

I don't even field a thrower when I'm on defense. Instead, I have a DP lineman who's sole purpose is to get ejected that drive fouling the biggest thing I can put on the ground. Starting roster is the default, 4, 4, 2 lino, thrower. Add apoth, then lineman. After you have enough cash to replace a blitzer or black orc should they die, then buy a troll. No point in having an unskilled troll on the field with a bunch of unskilled black orcs wandering around as well. The team is just too unreliable.

My thrower is currently leading my league in passes. To say you never have to pass with orcs is folly. Sometimes the pass is what gets you the 2-1 win instead of the 1-1 draw. Do you rely on it? No, of course not. My thrower is also leading the league in rushing yards as well. But you need the option, otherwise you might as well be playing khemri and upgrading your black orcs to 5 str.

Two AV8 is too much?
The Blitzers, BO & Troll are all 9AV, and that's 9 guys on the field all the time. I'm sure you can spare it.

I hear what you are saying about the reliability aspect of rookie Trolls/BO. But personally I always take my big men to start a team. The more games they play the higher chance they have at leveling up, till you finally can get Block on them. If a big man doesn't get Block within XX amount of level's I cut him. Not getting him right away just delays this. Then you might have a rookie Troll against medium TV, where everyone has Block, slowing this new rookies development. For example low TV team, where at the end of your turn, maybe you roll both down & it knocks both guys down, but you hurt the opponent due to mighty blow (instead of medium TV, where you just get knocked down).

So I have actually start all my Orc teams with 2 Throwers, 4 BO, 1 Troll. So some of my Orc teams with only 2-3 Blitzers. As I added more Blitzers to the team, I actually cut a linemen (one without any SPP).
Blitzers skill up up quickly, it's not much of an issue for them if they are added to the team later. The backbone of a Orc team is the BO/Troll, so skill them up ASAP.

Return to “Roster & Strategies”