Orc Tactics, Strategies and Builds

Your rosters, your strategies, advice, etc.
MILLANDSON

Orc Tactics, Strategies and Builds

Postby MILLANDSON » 02 October 2011, 07:11

Moderators do not represent Focus or Cyanide but do, when moderating, act on their behalf. Moderation posts and PMs will be in this colour.

MILLANDSON

Re: Orc Tactics, Strategies and Builds

Postby MILLANDSON » 15 October 2011, 01:05

General Kale wrote:GENERAL KALE'S GUIDE TO ORC STRATEGY

WHY SHOULD I CHOOSE ORCS?

Orcs are one of the most popular BB races, and for good reason. They're the most heavily armoured team in Blood Bowl, they've got better mobility than Dwarves or Undead, and with 4 Blitzers and 4 Black Orcs on their roster, they're suited to bashing heads. Added to that combination of strength and toughness is AG 3 across the board (except the BOBs), and throwers that are ALMOST as good as humans, making Orcs a contender in any league against any opponent. Orcs are also a great choice for coaches who are just learning the game, because they're fairly straightforward, and their players have clearly defined roles. If you want to play a strength team, but you still want to have the option of an effective passing attack, Orcs are the team for you.

WHY SHOULD I NOT CHOOSE ORCS?

Honestly, there aren't many reasons not to choose Orcs, but if they do have a drawback, it's that they suffer from the same "middle-of-the-road" syndrome that Humans do. While they don't have any glaring weaknesses, there isn't any one thing that Orcs do better than any other race. It's sort of a "Jack of all trades, master of none" kind of deal. On defense, their lack of mobility exposes them to quick strikes from speed teams, while on offense, they're hampered by a lack of skilled catchers. Also, Black Orcs aren't as good as they might seem at first. They skill so slowly that many Orc coaches find them less and less useful as the team develops; once you've got a full roster, you may find yourself leaving one or two Black Orcs on the bench to make room for linemen who have gained skills like Dirty Player, Kick, or even Block.

TEAM BUILDS

Because Orcs can start with With six different player types available, I'm not even going to try and cover all the possible team builds, but here are a few of the more popular options.

OPTION 1

4 Blitzers 320
3 Black Orcs 240
1 Thrower 70
3 Linemen 150
3 RR 180
4 FF 40

I'd never start an Orc team with less than 4 Blitzers, because they're the backbone of the team both on defense and offense. If you wanted to, you could trade a lineman for either your 2nd Thrower or 4th Black Orc, and dropping your FF to either 2 or 1. With this build, your first purchase should be an apothecary, then any remaining position players, then your Troll.

OPTION 2

4 Blitzers 320
3 Black Orcs 240
1 Thrower 70
3 Linemen 150
2 Goblins 80
2 RR 120
2 FF 20

This build allows you to use your Goblins as receivers for your passing attack. Starting with 13 players may seem excessive, but keep in mind that you'll want to leave your Gobbos on the bench if you lose the coin toss and have to kick first. If you wanted, you could drop a Goblin and your FF and take a 3rd RR instead.

OPTION 3

4 Blitzers 320
4 Black Orcs 320
2 Throwers 140
1 Lineman 50
2 RR 120
1 Apothecary 50

This build allows you to start with all of your position players and only 1 lineman. You may consider 2 throwers unnecessary, but with only 5 movement, it's nice to have both of them to cover more of your backfield when receiving the kickoff. You could drop 1 Thrower and the Apothecary in exchange for a lineman, a 3rd RR, and 1 FF.

BIG GUY OPTION

4 Blitzers 320
4 Black Orcs 320
1 Thrower 70
1 Troll 110
1 Linemen 50
2 RR 120
1 FF 10

This is the bashiest starting lineup possible. If you want to maximize the amount of damage that your Orc squad can dish out, this is the way to go. Just don't come crying to me when your cage collapses because your Troll fails his Really Stupid roll and loses his tackle zones, giving your opponent a clean shot at the ball-carrier. (That's how I won my last game against Orcs.)

THROW TEAMMATE OPTION

3 Blitzers 240
3 Black Orcs 240
1 Thrower 70
3 Linemen 150
1 Troll 110
1 Goblin 40
2 RR 120
3 FF 30

Personally, I think that this is the weakest of the builds I've listed, but like the heading says, it gives you the option of tossing the Gobbo down the field. That's not a tactic that I'd build an Orc team around, but there will be times when that's your only option to try and score. Use this build if you're more interested in playing an entertaining team than a winning one. Actually, if you want to play an entertaining team, start with 4 Gobbos and have the Troll fire them into the heart of your opponents' cage like a missile. That's always good for a laugh.

ORC OFFENSE

The Orcs are more suited to the running game, so unless you've only got a couple of turns left, I'd have the Thrower collect the ball and then run it into the centre of a cage. Of course, the specifics of your strategy will depend on who your opponent is, but I'd suggest using the Black Orcs to protect the ball while your Blitzers pound the snot out of the opposition. I've seen coaches run the ball with a Blitzer instead of a Thrower, but using your Thrower as a running back keeps the passing option open. If the cage bogs down or you find yourself losing the hitting war, then have a Blitzer peel off for the end zone and go for the pass.

Having capable throwers but no reliable receivers can be quite frustrating, but unless one of your Blitzers gets an AG up, passing should only be a last resort. If you do need a quick score, you can try employing Goblins as receivers; though they aren't any faster than your Blitzers, Dodge and Stunty makes them more maneuverable, and access to agility skills means that you can give them Catch, Diving Catch, etc. without having to wait for doubles. Or there's always the good ol' Gobbo toss, but again, only as a last resort.

ORC DEFENSE

Your best bet on defense is to get right into the face of your opposition, but you'll have to employ vastly different strategies depending on who your opponent is.

Against passing attacks, you may not be able to keep them out of the end zone, but hopefully you'll smash a few of them to pieces while they're scoring on you. Put everybody in a tackle zone (or two) and dare them to hit you, or pray that they fail a dodge and give you the chance to pulp their team. Also, if they ARE going to score on you, force them to do it quickly. That will give your offense more time to get you back on even terms.

Against rushing attacks, make them fight you for every inch. You may not be able to out-casualty your opponent if you're up against another bashy team, so try to focus more on preventing the score. Trust in your team to suck up punishment, especially your Black Orcs. Make the most of your 9 armour and turn the game into a brawl. If you cause a few casualties, that's gravy on the meat and potatoes, but your first goal should be to bog down their cage and prevent them from getting into striking distance.

If you do get your hands on the ball on defense, be sure to put it somewhere safe; you did all that work to take it away, so make 'em work to try and get it back. Don't do anything risky unless you've only got a couple of turns left and you don't have any other choice.

ADVANCES

As I've mentioned before, skill selection is how you customize your team, so decide what kind of team you want to play, and select skills that suit your style. That said, Here are some guidelines to follow:

Black Orcs - First skill should ALWAYS be block, unless you roll a ST up. After block, Mighty Blow, Guard, and Stand Firm, and Thick Skull are all good choices.

Blitzers - These guys are the leaders of your team. You've got 4 of them, so I'd suggest building two of them for offense, and two for defense. If you hit doubles, I'd take either Dodge or Catch, and make that guy into a receiver. Another good offensive skill is Sure Hands, to negate Strip Ball. For the defensive Blitzer, Tackle/Strip Ball/Mighty Blow/Wrestle are all good choices.

Linemen - This is where you take skills like Kick or Dirty Player, though if you're using Goblins, you should make a Gobbo a Dirty Player so you can combine it with Sneaky Git. A lineman with Guard can come in pretty handy too, but get Block first. A player with Guard and not Block is just going to be the first guy your opponent flattens every turn.

Throwers - Accurate is a good first choice, with Strong Arm on doubles. Dump-Off is a must if you're planning on using your Thrower to rush the ball, Leader is never a bad choice, and Safe Throw will help prevent those drive-killing turnovers.

Trolls - You're stuck with Strength Skills unless you hit doubles, and they start with the Mighty Blow, so your choices are extremely limited. Piling On can help you get your opposition off the field, and Break Tackle will help with your Troll's mobility, but really, why would he be dodging when he could be hitting something?

Goblins - Build these little guys into Dirty Players and Receivers. That's all they're good for.

FINAL WORDS OF ADVICE

First off, I'd strongly suggest you don't try to pass against Elves or Skaven unless you really don't have any other choice. The chances of you putting the ball on the ground are just too high, and those teams can capitalize on turnovers too quickly. Actually, the only team I'd recommend throwing against is Dwarves, because they're the only team slower than you.

Second, whether you're on offense or defense, your primary goal should be to do as much damage as possible to your opposition, particularly if you're up against a speed team. You aren't going to win a shootout against Skaven or Elves, so the only way to beat 'em is to beat 'em up. Hit them, foul them, push them into the crowd, do whatever you can to get them off the field. You aren't going to lead the league in touchdowns, so do what you can to lead the league in casualties.

Last, don't get demoralized if it seems like Skaven or Elves can score on you at will. Play to your strengths, be ready to adapt your tactics to suit whatever team you're up against, and stick to your gameplan. With the right strategies, your Orc team could become the terror of your next league.

- General Kale

Moderators do not represent Focus or Cyanide but do, when moderating, act on their behalf. Moderation posts and PMs will be in this colour.

MILLANDSON

Postby MILLANDSON » 15 October 2011, 01:08

However, in my opinion, Kale misses out easily the most rounded and most used team line-up:

4 Blitzers (320k)
4 Black Orcs (320k)
1 Thrower (70k)
2 Linemen (100k)
3 RR (180k)
10k left over.

You get all your Blitzers and Black Orcs straight away, so they can start getting SPP. You also have your main ball-carrier (Thrower), and 2 guys to act as assists and fill in any other roles (linemen). You also start off with as many rerolls as you're likely to need. All you need now is to get an Apothecary after your first match or two, and you're sorted.

Monstrum

Postby Monstrum » 15 October 2011, 21:36

100% agree with millandson. the best starting roster is easily the one he described.
you need all 4 blorcs from the start, since they tend to level up very slow. you tend to get your blitzers hogging all the points. i highly recommend keeping one blorc free on offence in order to try to score with him- 75% chance of a successful handoff with a reroll, and the difference between a block blorc and a vanilla blorc is HUGE. it might cost you a few games, but its worth it in the longrun.
DISCLAIMER: General advice based on my experience is always correct.

bowdy

Postby bowdy » 22 October 2011, 02:30

With regards to Orc strategies, in my next league game, my Ogre opponents main ball carrier is a Break Tackling MV7 ogre (no block etc). In fact, all of his Ogres have got Break Tackle now, along with a bit of guard and block. It's a bit of a turn around trying to knock over a ball carrier who's much bigger than my guys! On offence, the MV7 player is also faster and can blitz better than I can.

I'm aprehensively awaiting this match as I'm not sure what tactics to employ to negate his 5ST ogres. His snotlings are expendable fouling machines basically. I do have to my advantage that I will have about 200k inducements. Does anyone have any advice on this match up?

Shinshi

Postby Shinshi » 26 October 2011, 09:39

I only play the pc game and usually only against computer opponents so I dont know if this works against players.

Up to now the most anoying team to fight against is the ogre team. I am a little bit further up the track and I got some skills on my players that help.

Team:
Black Orc (4): All have block and 2 have Mighty Blow
Blitzers (4): All have block (base), Tackle and Mighty Blow
Lineman (2): One had dauntless (bleh, figured out later how to get to other cathegory skills)
Thrower (1): +1 agil (lucky!) and strong arm I believe
Lineman (2): no skills and in reserve

During the pc matches I found out that being the first reciever is better than to be the first kicker. As you can see I am building my orcs to bash. The line setup against bashing opponents and recieving is usually this:

LoS: BO,BO,Blitz,BO,BO (Blitz takes middle spot)
Blitz (ball carrier) directly behind LoS Blitz
5 or 6 spots behind Blitz (BC) the thrower
Sides: Line man on the outside on line 3 collumn 2, Blitzer on the inside line 2, collumn 3
For visuallization think of a crossbow.

The game rules dictate that you need to place 3 players on the line of scrimmage. This means you will face atleast 3 ogres. The computer usually puts no more than 3 there. First of order of business is to move the ogres you are facing atleast one spot backwards Primary using your BO. No follow ups. If they go down even better. Than move the thrower towards the ball, no GFI. If he manages to pick up the ball, move him towards the Blitz BC without using GFI. When move is done throw the ball towards the Blitz(BC) possible using a RR for the catch. Have your side Blitz move behind the nearest BO and have the lineman move behind the recently placed side Blitz but leave one open space between them. Your formation should now be 5 players on the front line and the 3 players and an open space on each side. Your ball carrier behind LoS. (in the case of a drop or if the thrower doesnt get to the ball, you can continue this part of your drive in turn 2 without to much of a hazzle)

In all the cases I used this tactic, the opponent will move towards your front with the ogres blitzing your middle man or they will try to blitz one of your lineman with a snotling. In either case they will start moving his snotlings arround your sides towards the ball carrier and his ogres through the line of scrimmage.

If everything went resonable well, you will have only one knocked down orc. Make him stand up first, than see if you can take out a snotling. If you push one, be carefull of sidesteps but in general follow up the snotling. If there is no option left to hit a snotling, move your thrower towards the ball carrier and "close the box" on the side of the most snotling with the intention to not have a snotling blitz your ballcarrier with GFI. After you setup your defense, clean up your front line and move all ogres back without follow up. If possible move the ogres to the sides as to start clearing an opening in the middle. (if at this point you still need to get the ball to your carrier, move your carrier one spot towards your endzone. In case of a failure to catch it will still be in your "cage".)

On the opponents turn it will most likely be a bit more heavy as you most likely didnt manage to clear the ogres fully. Most of the time though you will recieved no more than 3 blocks against you.

Its now turn 3 which is the key to this play.
Study the field and find out were the snotlings are. (often I miss one because it is standing behind an ogre.)
Study your front line defense. How close is the nearest ogre to your ball carrier.
On what side of the field (left or right) does he have the most ogres. (take in concerderation that 3 knocked down ogres is worse than one standing one).

Your play will start to look like this:
Free up your ball carrier (and the ball if it is on the ground) from tackle zones with your BO's. Stop with your BO's once your done. If you fail to clear the ball carrier, you might want to consider a risky movement out of the tackle zone.
Pass the ball to your thrower.
Find a good spot to create a basic X cage. (the five on a normal d6) Its important to note you need to get it done on the side of your front line with the least opposing ogres and possibly need to move your original side placed Blitzer and Lineman across the whole field. Consider for yourself if you want to close the cage with 4 corners or have a little bit more open cage on the inside. Move the Ball Carrier into the cage. Brake up your frontline (if possible) to blitz a snotling on that side that is not the side of your cage. If all of this is done block the ogres and follow up, move the ogres to the opposite side of your cage.

If everything went reasonably well you will have your cage on side, a gap for your LoS blitzer in the middle and a reasoble clear opposite side. And offcourse hopefully some casualties/injuries on the ogre team side.

On the opposing turn the ogre team will scramble towards your cage. The ogres will move on there side of the pitch away from your BO (hopefully creating a turn over) and any unmarked snotlings on the side on the opposite of the cage will run towards you on your side of the pitch.

In your 4th turn the ogre team doesnt have many snotlings standing, also most likely the ogres are a bit scattered and not really able to move much. From this point on, you hunt down as many snotling as you can and pin the ogres down in the middle as much as you can. Get your LoS Blitzer near the endzone, get a blitzer or line man from your cage do the same. In some cases you can even drop your cage at this point. Slowly move your thrower towards the endzone and make a throw to reciever in turn 7 or earlier. If the reciever fails to catch the ball you will most likely be able to pick up the ball in turn 8 and score a touchdown.

In the last Ogre turn he will most likely field a "fresh team" but in most of my cases has lost atleast 5 snotlings due to injury or KO. Just sit this one out and wait for half time.

In the second half of the game your are the defender, get through the first opposing turn as good as you can with the same lineup. Just bash away in your turns at the ogres and remainig snotlings. If you get the chance to pickup the ball without to much danger do this, get the ball to the thrower as soon as you can, while keeping pounding on the snotlings.

In my best match against an ogre team I scored my second TD in turn 13 and in the next kick-off the ogre team could field only 5 (out of 6 ogres) and no snotlings. Didnt get another TD, but also didnt suffer casualties.
Last edited by Shinshi on 26 October 2011, 11:42, edited 1 time in total.

Gallows Bait

Postby Gallows Bait » 26 October 2011, 10:49

Against Ogres where they use the Ogres to carry the ball, you need to focus on the ball where you get the chance to. If you can avoid him getting the pick up, great. Anything you can do to put tacklezones on a loose ball will reduce his chances, so if you can reach it on a kick, its probably worth it to slow him down.

Any Orcs with tackle are going to be valuable in maximising your chances of getting the Snotlings off the pitch - dodge and sidestep are annoying if you don't have tackle. Couple it with block and Mighty Blow and you're going to be getting them off the pitch reasonably well, which frees up your numbers and reduces them to AG2 players - break tackle doesn't help them pick up, throw or hand off after all.

I'd be tempted to screen as best you can with tacklezones on that basis - break tackle is only used once per turn, so make them dodge more than once or be forced to blitz/block you.

Forcing Ogres to roll dice is a good way to improve you chances, with bonehead and no block they need re-rolls even on 2D blocks and break tackle dodges, so make them use them up.

Shinshi

Postby Shinshi » 26 October 2011, 13:06

When being the initial kicker against ogres, the play becomes a little more difficult. As you need to react to the play of the Ogre team. The following setup however works extremely well for me though.

You setup your team in the same crossbow setup as when you are the receiver (see my post above) but you move your thrower forward a bit more and than kick the ball.

In the ogres first turn you will almost always face the following.

- Either your left or right lineman gets blitzed, most of the time by an ogre.
- Your frontline will get pushed back usually from one side.
- In almost all cases your LoS Blitzer will be pushed/knocked down.

At your turn you will probably see your LoS punctured (not broken), one of your sides being pushed to the centre, a couple of Orc laying down and a beginning cage somewhere in the opponents zone.

The first order of business is to make every orc standup again. The next step is to get the ogres down, while not getting your flanks exposed to much. The key to this is to move your linesman next to an ogre and than blocking backwards. In most cases you can get a 2d instead of a -2d. Continue to divide the ogres onto spots that they cannot help each other. I have noticed that Black Orcs are nice markers for these Ogres.

Most of the time this results in a fierce battle in the centre of the field, it is important to keep your Orcs covering each other for the next turn blocks and to mark a prone ogre the more ogres are prone the better you free up your blitzers, linesman and your thrower. Blitz a snotling and position your orcs as broad as possible. Not to force the snotlings to dodge but to possible intercept a throw.

The next turn for the ogres should look a little bit worse. The prone ogres will most likely stand up and the ogre team will force his cage forward. In some instances I noticed a throwing play. If you done everything correctly, this throw will be much more difficult. In an instance, though, you will notice that you don’t get pushed around that much in the ogres 2nd turn.

Against ogre teams you will usually find yourself in turn 2 with a snotling deep in your zone. The ball carrier near the LoS line in a cage. Your BO in the middle of a group of ogres and your team spread out. Things look pretty chaotic but there is reason to this madness.

If done correctly his cage will consist of only 1 ogre, the remaing ogres are tied up in the centre. You will most likely face 3 snotlings in the cage including a ball carrier. Against the cage you field 1 linesman and 2 blitzers and the side part of your LoS group. Your LoS group consists of 2 blitzers and 4 black orcs and are facing most likely 5 Ogres and a Snotling. You have one linesman and a thrower covering the opposing side of the cage and the deep end of your zone, facing only one or two snotlings.

In your second turn you make your orcs stand up. Your aim in the centre is to free a blitzer that will blitz the cage. You try to do this by moving the ogres upwards towards there own endzone (important not to the sides). Use the minimum risk tactics at this point and stop when you got a free shot at the blitz. If you got a reroll left Blitz the nearest corner, if you don’t have a reroll move the blitzers from the side to a favourable position for the blitz attack. Now blitz that corner. The only important part is that the corner is moved in front of the ball carrier. (usually this corner is an ogre).
Move your lines man behind the blitzer that is facing original corner you blitzed.
When this part is done, move your catcher to the snotling in your zone, move your remaining linesman to the second snotling (if present) or towards the middle as support for the remaining attacks you do in the centre. Try to kill snotlings before working on the ogres if you get the chance with your blocks. Try to move everything in the centre upwards and to the opposing side of the cage. Creating a wedge between the cage and the ogres. If you position correctly you will get control over the centre and have a line of orcs in front of the cage that they most likely cannot pass through in the next turn.

From the ogre side in their 3rd turn you can expect to have the orcs pushed in front of the cage and some fighting in the middle. Usually with the wedge you created and your control in the centre the cage will stay on the original side. The computer will usually not move the ball forward because of the tackle zones that remain. The ogre team is also not fast enough to take advantage of going around the centre and if you are spaced out relatively wide you should be save.

In your turn you now have many options to block his players. It is at this point you will start to take down snotlings and put pressure on the ball carrier. Keep the ogres near the centre tied up and start taking down the snotlings in the cage. Either this turn or the next turn you will have the ball in your possession.

The remaining turns are used for keeping the ogre team on the ground and using one or two players to get a touch down in.

If I find a nice method of creating the plays visually I will try to note them down later.

LloydsGamble

Postby LloydsGamble » 28 October 2011, 14:23

Guys, whats your opinions on a sneaky git goblin as a 12th man vs a dirty player lineman?

With Av9 and an apoth, I'm not even sure I need the 12th man, but my thinking was a cheap utility player like a goblin/lineman wouldn't be a huge TV bloat and may come in handy.

I went for the goblin initially and with 2 mvps in 2 matches, he now has Sneaky git. Starting to wonder though whether sacking him and bringing in a lineman instead as the 12th man may make more sense. He would have dirty player/kick and is obviously less of a target than the little guy is.

For just 10k extra tv, the lineman would have 2 useful skills and would also be able to block occasionally. I do like the stunty one though. On his second foul he outright killed a Stormvermin. A fouling goblin just seems...right

Managarn

Postby Managarn » 28 October 2011, 15:54

I dont quite agree with the always block first for black orc.

Guard is a really good first skill for them as it make it harder to block agaisnt you and give you better blocking opportunity. And the unreliability is somewhat offset by having 4 block player already.

Return to “Roster & Strategies”