Orc Tactics, Strategies and Builds

Your rosters, your strategies, advice, etc.
Orcacide

Re: Orc Tactics, Strategies and Builds

Postby Orcacide » 24 April 2013, 13:16

Two AV8 is too much?
On orcs? Absolutely. Your team revolves around you not being outnumbered and overpowering your opponent. The more AV 8 (and goblins, for that matter) that you have on the field, the more likely you are to be outnumbered. It's simple math. People don't blitz your black orcs. People don't blitz your troll. In fact, if they can help it, they don't even stand toe to toe with them at any point. They hit the squishiest part of your roster, every single time, until they break it. Then they move on to the next one.

I had a lineman get a serious concussion early this season. The very next game he played, he was KO'd on turn 1 and spent the rest of the game on the sidelines. I fired him immediately after the game. That's not the kind of player you need on orcs. Yeah, on elves, you're just looking for warm bodies to get in the way, but that's not the game plan with orcs. I spend half of every game with no AV 8 on the field, and half of every game with 1 AV 8 on the field. I don't even want more on my roster so that an unlucky hit forces me to field them both.

You're certainly welcome to play the team the way you prefer, but I find the troll to be far too unreliable to be of use when the rest of your team has no skills. I've played against many orc teams with trolls (and I don't use a troll in MM usually), and the game usually gets decided by one Really Stupid at the wrong time that changes the entire dynamic. When you've got skilled Black Orcs and Blitzers, you can minimize and mitigate the negatraits on the troll. Without them, you're just rolling far too many dice and praying for luck.

LloydsGamble

Postby LloydsGamble » 24 April 2013, 13:50

The Troll is only as unreliable as you make him, really.

He is first and foremost a roadblock and you just need to resist the urge of using him each turn. In a way, I see him as more reliable than blitzer big guys like the Yhetee, Mino etc. You rely on those guys for important blitzes and 1/6 times they are going to fail. The Troll should be the last guy you use on every turn and only if having him go stupid won't be a problem.

I tend to leave him on the LOS and do every other block, then attempt to pick up the ball and then I try the 3D block I've left him. After you've caged and he is either a corner or the front line of the push, it becomes riskier to use him. If he is tying up multiple players, leave him be. If its a single lineman and your cage is secure, you may decide it's worth having a go at thumping him :)

whater

Postby whater » 24 April 2013, 16:11

The Troll is only as unreliable as you make him, really.

He is first and foremost a roadblock and you just need to resist the urge of using him each turn. In a way, I see him as more reliable than blitzer big guys like the Yhetee, Mino etc. You rely on those guys for important blitzes and 1/6 times they are going to fail. The Troll should be the last guy you use on every turn and only if having him go stupid won't be a problem.

I tend to leave him on the LOS and do every other block, then attempt to pick up the ball and then I try the 3D block I've left him. After you've caged and he is either a corner or the front line of the push, it becomes riskier to use him. If he is tying up multiple players, leave him be. If its a single lineman and your cage is secure, you may decide it's worth having a go at thumping him :)
Ya as a road block is one of the most common things I do with a Troll. To use a football analogy, he is the Nose Tackle. I don't do many Blocks a game with him. As losing the tackle zones (and Guard) is so deadly. But the more games he plays, the more chances at SPP & MVP's.

Good road block skills are Guard, Stand Firm, Grab, Break Tackle. The most important one is Guard though. If I had my Troll just tying up two standard linemen. I'd just let him stand still all match, and not do a thing.

Holy Terror

Postby Holy Terror » 24 April 2013, 16:53

Yea over use of the big guys in general is likely to get you in trouble....troll is pretty much as stated a road block and the last guy to every turn unless necessary
Having a bad day? Stop crying and punch a goblin!!!!

LloydsGamble

Postby LloydsGamble » 28 April 2013, 14:02

What do people think of this starting roster:

1 Troll
4 Black Orcs
3 Blitzers
3 Linemen

3 re-rolls

1k TV exactly.

I mostly use the "standard roster" (4 blorc, 4 blitzer, thrower, 2 linemen) and I have tried the troll option with all positionals and 2 re-rolls, but I feel a bit vulnerable with 2 re-rolls.

This roster gives you that 3rd re-roll (the perfect amount in my opinion) at the expense of a Blitzer and the Thrower. The standard 4 blorc, 4 blitzer, thrower, 2 linemen roster is safer for sure, but this one gives you the Troll from the start if you're a fan of him like me, plus an extra re-roll that should make up for lack of an extra Block and Sure Hands.

whater

Postby whater » 29 April 2013, 09:42

1 Troll
4 Black Orcs
3 Blitzers
3 Linemen

3 re-rolls

1k TV exactly.

I mostly use the "standard roster" (4 blorc, 4 blitzer, thrower, 2 linemen) and I have tried the troll option with all positionals and 2 re-rolls, but I feel a bit vulnerable with 2 re-rolls.

This roster gives you that 3rd re-roll (the perfect amount in my opinion) at the expense of a Blitzer and the Thrower. The standard 4 blorc, 4 blitzer, thrower, 2 linemen roster is safer for sure, but this one gives you the Troll from the start if you're a fan of him like me, plus an extra re-roll that should make up for lack of an extra Block and Sure Hands.
I prefer this lineup more, then your suggested one.
1 Lineman 50k
1 Thrower 70k
4 Black Orc Blockers 320k
4 Blitzers 320k
1 Troll 110k
2 Rerolls 120k
Total 990k

What I don't like about your lineup is the 3 linemen. Obviously you are going to get another Blitzers. Then maybe a single Thrower or maybe two. Then super optional maybe you go for a goblin, for a one turn touchdown potential. So I'm seeing the potential for a deeper bench then what is needed at such low TV (especially since they don't have Block on them, so can be considered as a liability).

Some people suggest at low TV, having no bench. Raising the chances that Troll/BO get a MVP, so maybe they can get Block. But that's your choice if you want to have a single bench guy or not. Nothing wrong with having a 12 man low TV roster. Injuries during a game, or a guy get miss a game. Then your not using a journeyman for a match.

I tried this exact 3 linemen start once, thinking that I'd just cut a linemen (with lowest SPP) as I got funds to afford Blitzer/Thrower. But I got the "unfortunate luck" of rolling +AGIL on two of the linemen (I cut a 4 SPP linemen). Which resulted in me playing the linemen on offense/defense. Then I do the crazy thing of actually benching a Blitzer. I playing my Thrower on offense (with two nice receivers). Then this Blitzer plays only on defense (so he will be specialized for defense).

Orcacide

Postby Orcacide » 30 April 2013, 16:44

No dice on that roster. The troll isn't worth giving up a blitzer for, and in my opinion, you'd lose more games when you're starting off as a result.

And this is coming from a guy who LIKES big guys. They're not reliable enough to include on a roster with exactly 3 block players.

Holy Terror

Postby Holy Terror » 30 April 2013, 18:51

1 Troll
4 Black Orcs
3 Blitzers
3 Linemen

3 re-rolls

1k TV exactly.

Blitzers are arguably the best person on your team. The team right below yours is a better starting choice imo.
Having a bad day? Stop crying and punch a goblin!!!!

whater

Postby whater » 01 May 2013, 09:38

Blitzers or BO are the best players on the team. Depends how you look at it. Blitzers skill up easily though. As they have Block & the best MA on your team.

Now BO & Troll skill up slowly, so the more games you get in with them, the easier it is to skill them up. This is super important early on. As most of your opponents don't have Block, so it's easier to actually score with a BO.

LloydsGamble

Postby LloydsGamble » 01 May 2013, 11:52

With that roster you can choose whether you prefer 4 blitzers or 4 black orcs to start with. I chose the 4th blorc for the reasons whater stated. The blorcs/troll are slow to skill so it gives me that slight extra chance of mvps falling on them.

I agree that Blitzers are your most important players starting out though, so I can see why some would drop a blorc instead if they tried that roster.

Return to “Roster & Strategies”