Orc Tactics, Strategies and Builds

Your rosters, your strategies, advice, etc.
Orcacide

Re: Orc Tactics, Strategies and Builds

Postby Orcacide » 02 July 2013, 15:36

PERPETUAL LEAGUE TEAM. NOT MATCHMAKING.

I run the standard roster - troll, 4 black orcs, 4 blitzers, thrower, 2 linemen. 21 games into this team and my 2 linemen have a combined 10 MVP's. So much so that my kicker is the number 9 player in my division in terms of SPP. It's getting kind of ridiculous.

Anyway, my plans for my linemen usually revolve around having a kicker/DP and then some other guy I can fill in for a KO/injured, with maybe block and tackle to take the role of a black orc or blitzer if I need him to do that. Those plans were kinda scrapped when my kicker rolled doubles on his 2nd skillup, and I was forced to take guard because you can't pass that up. He's since gotten block, and at that point, he's earned a full time place on the field.

My other linemen ergo ended up getting dirty player. And then a couple MVP's, so he got block. And then a couple more MVP's and some incidental cas, so now he's level 4 too. Normal roll. It sucks, and there's not many good options, so I took Fend for the time being, thinking the mobility would help him do what he's designed to do -- DP stuff.

I unfortunately am in the situation where this guy is a great guy to have on the field -- block and fend are pretty solid lineman skills, especially on an orc team where you want everyone to have block as a minimum. Unfortunately, he's also the guy who's going to be ejected, and a 3 skill lineman is not the ideal for that. The TV optimal thing to do is to fire him, but then I'm stuck with another rookie lineman that I'm stuck either feeding TD's to or hoping for MVP's in a perpetual league where TV doesn't matter so much.

Keep a dirty player around with 3 skills? What do you guys think? I can obviously use him more as a threat, and I don't have to foul every turn like I would have before, or just foul with bribes. Neither use is particularly optimal, but unfortunately, your team doesn't always get the rolls you think it's going to when you start out.

PERPETUAL LEAGUE TEAM. NOT MATCHMAKING.

MattDakka

Postby MattDakka » 02 July 2013, 16:37

Orcacide wrote:Keep a dirty player around with 3 skills? What do you guys think?

A dirty player must be cheap, therefore he must have only Dirty Player, ideally.
The Block Fend Lineorc should take Tackle, instead give Dirty Player to another lineorc when he gets his first skill.

RelaxMax

Postby RelaxMax » 02 July 2013, 16:56

I think the choice depends the other teams you'll challenge next matches. Are you giving inducement ? 'll you have inducement (like 100K) ? In league play, impossible to ignore the environment.

DP is still usefull when a star is on the floor (often twice more expensive than the lineman). Bloc and fend is great for LOS and help him to use DP (more survivability and better mobility). The event riffery out and bribe are perfect for this kind of player. And he is polyvalent. So many good points.

Other thing, do you field him usually ? 4 blitzers, 4 BOs, 1 lineman bloc/guard/kick who are the two others ? Who is on the LOS in defense ? Have you a troll ? If there is no usual place for him, fire him.

(All my apologies for my bad english ...)

Orcacide

Postby Orcacide » 02 July 2013, 17:21

MattDakka wrote:
Orcacide wrote:Keep a dirty player around with 3 skills? What do you guys think?

A dirty player must be cheap, therefore he must have only Dirty Player, ideally.
The Block Fend Lineorc should take Tackle, instead give Dirty Player to another lineorc when he gets his first skill.

DP was the first skill on block/fend guy. Block just happened as a result of 5 MVP's. So did fend, actually.

whater

Postby whater » 09 July 2013, 23:39

How many of you guys make a Blitzer their main ball carrier? I was watching this decent player play on youtube, and he got +MA, then took sure hands.
He only had one thrower on his team (block only).

I can maybe understand the aspect of +MA. But I prefer the Blitzers to do hitting. While I have Throwers as my ball carriers due to already having Sure Hands & pass & access to passing skills. Unless a linemen or Blitzer has rolled +AGIL, even then I usually don't have them pickup the ball. I just have them as part of the cage (paying attention to their placement, so they don't get left behind. So I can always toss the ball to them.

Colonel Panic

Postby Colonel Panic » 10 July 2013, 07:18

Sometimes you need speed. MV7 is a huge improvement over MV6 and helps cover the biggest weakness of Orcs. I'd take +MV on a Blitzer any day.

I'm not sure that I'd take Sure Hands on him, though, especially if I already had a Thrower. When I'm in a hurry and need his speed, I'll just pick it up or hand off to him, and use a reroll if needed. If I'm not in a hurry I'll just pick up the ball with my Sure Hands thrower, and leave the Blitzers to do what they're good at (hitting opponents and hurting them a lot).

Nodi

Postby Nodi » 10 July 2013, 09:44

Like Colonel Panic i don't see the point to have a +1MV/sure hand blitzer and a block thrower.
The thrower won't block often or shouldn't do it, he's the only player with AV8 (except the gob).
This player should only pick-up/pass or give a low cost reroll (leader)

I wonder he probably want to build him as a strip baller who is able to pick-up the ball as well (I would have take strip ball before) :?:

LloydsGamble

Postby LloydsGamble » 10 July 2013, 23:28

I have been using Blitzers as my ball carriers recently. I start the team with 3 Linemen for the LOS and 4 Blorcs/Blitzers

I set up with 2 Blitzers back to recieve. If one of them rolls +AG he becomes my main ball carrier but I don't bother with Sure Hands. Sometimes you can afford to fumble the ball so I only use a reroll if its urgent.

Another option I've seen some use is a single Blitzer in the backfield with Sure Hands and KO Return. Don't really like it myself, but could work.

Not a big fan of the Orc Thrower, I feel you can get on without him just fine early on. I'd probably pick one up after the Troll in league play.

whater

Postby whater » 17 July 2013, 23:28

Personally I always use a Thrower. You can just specialize him for offence (all passing skills except for Block. Or maybe some running skills Fend/dodge). Then have a Linemen who is specialized for defense (Wrestle, tackle, strip ball, kick type of skills).

If you always have a thrower. Then you have a instant target to pass to if someone rolls +AGIL.

I have a Orc team with a +2AGIL linemen (full time player). So I have a Blitzer on the bench for offense. And my thrower on bench for defense.

GobboBlabs

Postby GobboBlabs » 24 August 2013, 02:25

Gobbos.
Goblins.
The little guys tagging along side your cage looking in at the action. When the time is right.. push open your cage.. hand the little grub the ball and watch him separate for a td after you position a tackle zone or two to keep a blitz at bay.

I love gobblin runners on orc teams. Just skill em with a little movement (sure feet) and maybe a helper defensive skill (if you get desperate) and watch em fly.

You will generally buy them once the team develops tho... not a early build option that is very viable.. but mid to late TV's can be devastating. Keep a high level one to keep building.. and keep level 2 or 3... and just have your Troll Gobble em up at level 4 and restart your gobbo squad every 10 games or so to keep tv lower mid build.

Return to “Roster & Strategies”