Orc Tactics, Strategies and Builds

Your rosters, your strategies, advice, etc.
dode74

Re: Orc Tactics, Strategies and Builds

Postby dode74 » 19 August 2012, 19:06

That leaves a blitzer unable to hit things and my BC without Sure Hands as strip ball protection.

MattDakka

Postby MattDakka » 19 August 2012, 19:32

If you need Sure Hands you simply don't pass it, and about the Blitzer unable to hit things, you still have 4 Bobs, 3 Blitzers free, some Lineorcs and maybe a Troll.
Strip ball is generally used by agile teams, so you shouldn't have bashing issues even with 3 Blitzers.
A Blitzer is faster than a Thrower, this reduces the number of gfis required to score.
Last edited by MattDakka on 19 August 2012, 21:00, edited 1 time in total.

dode74

Postby dode74 » 19 August 2012, 20:02

"Not passing it" means leaving the ball in the backfield and having to cage much further back, especially if the opponent has the Kick skill. Having less far to go with the cage means fewer GFIs are needed, and having the receiving thrower ready in the cage to receive means that if the pass is missed (as opposed to fumbled) then I have a sure hands player nearby to pick up next turn.
Furthermore, having a 4th blitzer free means having more available block around and protecting the BC, and probably more guard free too, to prevent the opponent bearing down on the BC.

ghmongo asked what benefit was gained - all I can say is it worked for me.

MattDakka

Postby MattDakka » 19 August 2012, 21:08

What if your super Thrower misses the pass or fumbles the ball?

dode74

Postby dode74 » 19 August 2012, 22:22

Oh I know it's risky. You can mitigate, though. Teams with kick usually kick to the backfield corner vs Orcs, meaning you really only have to set one side up to hold the line in the event of a fumble (which is where the extra free blitzer comes in useful). The initial cage can be built before the pickup/throw, too, so scatters due to missed throws/failed catches usually have a few TZs on them.

Orcacide

Postby Orcacide » 20 August 2012, 16:11

I have 2 throwers on my team.

But, in my defense, it's because my first one got injured the first game (MNG), I managed to pull enough winnings to buy another one, and then HE got injured (MNG) and then my first one got injured again (MNG). So, I mean I haven't really taken a TV hit for it yet :)

whater

Postby whater » 23 August 2012, 01:29

On Offence I was put both of my throwers back, so it doesn't matter which side they kick it to. Then I move the thrower who didn't get the ball kicked to him, diagonal ahead, so he can form part of the cage.

Then on Defence I substitute one or both of them for a defensively skilled linemen (who has kick).

TacoCorp

Postby TacoCorp » 27 September 2012, 15:04

I have a thrower. Took accurate with the first level up, but since then I have had two consecutive +1 str. Block is the obvious next choice, but what should I do after that?

Orcacide

Postby Orcacide » 27 September 2012, 15:21

I have a thrower. Took accurate with the first level up, but since then I have had two consecutive +1 str. Block is the obvious next choice, but what should I do after that?
Jesus, 5 str thrower.

If he makes it to block, consider yourself lucky. I'd probably go dodge just to keep him standing on stumbles more often. That's a helluva ball carrier...you want to make sure you never have a reason for it to leave his hands. It would be almost impossible to even get a 2 die defenders choice on him if you've got guard on the cage corners.

Monstrum

Postby Monstrum » 28 September 2012, 06:47

dont underestimate 2 die defenders choice... ive had a vamp dodge into my cage and 2 die defenders choice my block ball carrying mummy, knock him on his ass and managed to pick up the ball too. still won that game though, vamps suck
DISCLAIMER: General advice based on my experience is always correct.

Return to “Roster & Strategies”