To kick or not to kick

Your rosters, your strategies, advice, etc.
Borgio

To kick or not to kick

Postby Borgio » 22 October 2015, 13:35

Hi guys,

I am curious on wether you prefer to receive or to kick at the beginning of the game and why.

Would be nice if you explain what teams you play and the reasons behind your decision. To preach through example here are my two cents:

I usually play finesse teams (Elves or Skaven) and I absolutely always ALWAYS choose to kick first if I get the chance. It means I get to defend with full 11 players which can be invaluable against bashy teams that by the second half will have injured or ko'd a couple of my players. It also means that I can dictate the pace of the attack of my opponent: I can kick the ball as far back as possible and then try to avoid his cage from forming by shooting the gap between his LoS and his ball carrier, and even if that fails I can still bring back my players to a 2+2+2 defense and stall that cage as long as possible.

If everything goes great then I can get the ball from their carrier and score in their drive, if things go not that great I can always stall to a 0-0 half time, if things go bad and they score in turns 7 or 8 there always is the 1 TTD option, and still the second half to equalise and decide if a late score (making the draw more likely) is better or worse than to score quickly and try to get the ball from them again.

Thoughts? opinions? facts?

sann0638

Re: To kick or not to kick

Postby sann0638 » 22 October 2015, 13:42

Always kick. Get the measure of the opponent, control the game, know in the second half whether you are playing/pushing for a win or taking a draw.
President of the NAF, the global Blood Bowl players' organisation (thenaf.net)

sann0638

Postby sann0638 » 22 October 2015, 13:43

May not apply against 20 clawpombers...

Borgio

Postby Borgio » 22 October 2015, 14:05

sann0638 wrote:Always kick. Get the measure of the opponent, control the game, know in the second half whether you are playing/pushing for a win or taking a draw.

My opinion as well... but I would actually want to hear the opinion of a "receiving" advocate, because as of now I cannot think of any reason why I would ever receive first.

sann0638

Postby sann0638 » 22 October 2015, 14:05

If you have 20 clawpombers!

Bucc

Postby Bucc » 22 October 2015, 14:15

I always receive. Unless it is a very special case.

And hope to start a numerical advantage by bashing the LOS, that starts a snowballing effect which can give me the advantage for the rest of the game. I play all the different teams, but I always build a (C)POMB'er as soon as possible, even if doubles is what it takes.

MattDakka

Postby MattDakka » 22 October 2015, 15:17

I generally kick, because this gives me a better control of the game in most situations.
Of course this may vary, for example if I'm playing Goblins and Norse I prefer to receive.

sann0638

Postby sann0638 » 22 October 2015, 20:22

Why norse? Glass hammer?

MattDakka

Postby MattDakka » 23 October 2015, 17:33

Yes, they are a glass cannon so they should start to do some Cas and snowball (sorry for horrible pun).

Valcurdra

Postby Valcurdra » 24 October 2015, 00:21

So scoring always kicks and bash always receives? Awesome that means everyone always gets what they want! What a perfect world we live in!

As usual the answer should be it depends on your opponent, if you don't consider your opponent before making any decision you will most likely make the wrong one.

Receiving has the advantage that you get 4 free hits on turn 1 (and a foul if you like).

Kicking has the advantage of allowing you to defend with a full team. It is a lot easier (A) Defend and (B) Score on defence with a full team, Also attacking shorthanded is much easier that defending shorthanded, particularly in the case of scoring focused teams.

Slight oversimplification but let's assume that there are 2 types of teams, bash and score, hybrids will fit into either role based on the matchup.

Bash vs Bash, Receive. You suck at scoring and so does your opponent, so take the free hits hopefully get an early numerical advantage and try to end the half 1-0, this is a huge lead against a bash team that is unlikely to score twice in a half.

Score vs Score, Receive, Neither of you is going to have a hard time scoring on either offence or defence, so take the free hits and try to get a numerical advantage.

Score wis toss vs bash, Kick, You are unlikely to get any advantage from the 4 free hits, defend while you have more guys, this will allow you to have enough TZ's to hold the cage advancement at the los and rush the passer.

Bash win toss vs score, Kick. Your opponent wants to defend first so force them to attack, they will likely get nothing from the free hits and will either give up the ball or be forced to score quickly, allowing you to have 2 offensive drives in a row with a numerical advantage.

Return to “Roster & Strategies”