Crippled minotaur with block - should I keep him ?

Your rosters, your strategies, advice, etc.
Gat

Crippled minotaur with block - should I keep him ?

Postby Gat » 23 November 2015, 13:58

Hello,

I play Chaos, and my minotaur had an unfortunate accident : during the last turn of a game, he tried to Go for it & blitz (hoping for some SPP), but he felt and died. One apothecary later, he had just a broken ankle: -1 MA. Since he was level 3 without block, I planned to remove him from my team and get a new one (I planned to do this anyway at level 4 if he didn't get block), but he was awarded MVP (I guess his failure was so spectacular the referees enjoyed it), gained a level, and of course I rolled a double.

So now I have a minotaur with block (and claw, guard), but MA 4 only, ready to wreak some havoc on my opponents teams, assuming he's not too far from them (I'm not sure he's wanting to run again - and obviously, he'd rather die than using a reroll when he falls).

Would you keep him in your team or buy a new one ?

Subsidiary question: let's assume I keep him in the team, and let's dream about future progression; in case he rolls a double, what would you take ? dodge, so he stands longer ? Jump up, so his reduced move is less of a disadvantage when he falls ? Sure foot, because obviously he should learn to run ?

If it is a double 5, would you take the skill or +MA, so he get his base MA back ? Or +AV, because AV 8 is too low ? If it is a double 6, would you take the skill (I guess a blocking minotaur should always take the +FO if available: 3 dice blitzing against most players is nothing to sneeze at) ?

NB: "you should remove the minotaur and replace him with a more reliable beastman" isn't an accepted response. Minotaurs are far too fun, even watching them dying is fun.

Darkson

Re: Crippled minotaur with block - should I keep him ?

Postby Darkson » 23 November 2015, 14:04

NB: "you should remove the minotaur and replace him with a more reliable beastman" isn't an accepted response. Minotaurs are far too fun, even watching them dying is fun.
That's Matt told not to comment then. ;)
Nice to see someone playing with the fun in mind rather than "TV efficiency" this and "maximising" that.

Imo it depends what you do with him. If you use him to make long range "surgical" blitzes than I'd say sack him, as his lowered movement will mean you'll end up making GFIs and more fails.
If you intend to use him on the LOS or for short-range Blitzes then keep him until he takes another injury, but let him go then (don't waste the Apo).

Save for a new one anyway, and when you can afford it, replace him.
Galak 3:16 says "There is a point in time that a player really should read the rulebook."
Home of the ARBBL
TalkFantasyFootball admin - PM me if you need help.
Nope, I was talking about a 0TTD on a Blitz! using TTM.

KillerPeach

Postby KillerPeach » 23 November 2015, 14:46

Does the -MA reduce his value/TV impact? If so it seems like a cheap way to have a very dangerous player in your lineup.

I'd keep him as I like to use big buys on and around the LOS and in close contact with opposition players and for blocking rather than deep cover or advanced blitzing.

Peach
Good luck and have fun!
http://funleague.freeforums.net/

Darkson

Postby Darkson » 23 November 2015, 14:49

Does the -MA reduce his value/TV impact?
No, injuries have no effect on cost.
Galak 3:16 says "There is a point in time that a player really should read the rulebook."
Home of the ARBBL
TalkFantasyFootball admin - PM me if you need help.
Nope, I was talking about a 0TTD on a Blitz! using TTM.

Gat

Postby Gat » 23 November 2015, 16:13

Does the -MA reduce his value/TV impact? If so it seems like a cheap way to have a very dangerous player in your lineup.
It doesn't.

I generally use him to block, and for non-important blitz. Therefore, the reduced move isn't very important in normal situations.

The problem is more when he falls: if I don't have a strategic blitz to do, I generally make him blitz to have more chance of standing up; and if the opponent goes away from him, if he doesn't blitz it takes forever to bring him back in the action. It's not always a problem (and most of the time I have strategic blitz to do so I simply try to move him normally), but using blitz to move him can be convenient, and obviously, the more MA he has, the more opportunities I have to find a "blitzable" player in an interesting position.

MattDakka

Postby MattDakka » 23 November 2015, 17:33

The problem is more when he falls: if I don't have a strategic blitz to do, I generally make him blitz to have more chance of standing up;
Most of times you want to blitz, no matter if it's strategic or not, potentially removing 1 player and getting SPPs is not something to be overlooked.
if he doesn't blitz it takes forever to bring him back in the action.
A glimpse of light in the darkness. :) This would be one good reason to fire him if you aimed to have an efficient team.
It's not always a problem (and most of the time I have strategic blitz to do so I simply try to move him normally), but using blitz to move him can be convenient, and obviously, the more MA he has, the more opportunities I have to find a "blitzable" player in an interesting position.
So either you try to blitz with the Minotard and risk to waste a Blitz action or you manage to stand up and move 1 square
Both outcomes are bad, do you realize it? Do you really want to have 220 TV sunbathing on the pitch?
On top of that he has Frenzy, so you could fail a GFI and be even unable to reroll it.

Valcurdra

Postby Valcurdra » 23 November 2015, 20:57

Definite sack.

If you stand up and blitz you only have enough mv for the first hit, if you roll a push then you need to gfi for the 2nd one.

Mino's are unreliable enough without taking extra gfi's

Gat

Postby Gat » 26 November 2015, 11:01

The problem is more when he falls: if I don't have a strategic blitz to do, I generally make him blitz to have more chance of standing up;
Most of times you want to blitz, no matter if it's strategic or not, potentially removing 1 player and getting SPPs is not something to be overlooked.
Of course. Still, if the blitz isn't strategic, I can try with the minotaur (especially if it move him to a better position) and he doesn't move, that's not a big problem.
if he doesn't blitz it takes forever to bring him back in the action.
A glimpse of light in the darkness. :) This would be one good reason to fire him if you aimed to have an efficient team.
It's not always a problem (and most of the time I have strategic blitz to do so I simply try to move him normally), but using blitz to move him can be convenient, and obviously, the more MA he has, the more opportunities I have to find a "blitzable" player in an interesting position.
So either you try to blitz with the Minotard and risk to waste a Blitz action or you manage to stand up and move 1 square
Both outcomes are bad, do you realize it? Do you really want to have 220 TV sunbathing on the pitch?
On top of that he has Frenzy, so you could fail a GFI and be even unable to reroll it.
If you're trying to convince me that I shouldn't have a minotaur at all... Well, I'm already convinced. For almost half the tv, I could have a CPOMBer, who'll do more damage and be more reliable.

I kept my minotaur, and definitely, a MA 4 minotaur with block is far more efficient that a MA 5 minotaur without block; but still, it isn't worth 220k, and even with MA 5 it wouldn't be worth 220k. Maybe it would be worth 250k if he had dodge. (did someone try a minotaur with block, stand firm and jump up ? It could be a good and fun way to make him stand, and it isn't influenced by Tackle...)

So yeah, I'm already convinced minotaurs aren't cost-efficient. And still, I want a minotaur (with block at least) in my team.

I think I'll do as Darkson suggest: next injury, I don't even waste the apo (except if he gets dodge in-between). If he levels up and rolls a double, he willl take dodge, if he rolls a double 5, he will take dodge, if he rolls a double 6, I don't know if I'll take dodge or +1 FO.

Return to “Roster & Strategies”