General advice for new players

Everything dealing with the video game developed by Cyanide!
dode74

General advice for new players

Postby dode74 » 14 September 2015, 08:26

Some links which are absolutely worth reading:
The rulebook - LRB6. This is roughly what BB2 is working to, although there are some changes. See "The NAF" link at the bottom for what it is thought those changes are. The NAF also provide lots of links to the rules including a number of clarifications.
BBTactics - not only a BB1 league in and of itself, but a great resource for articles such as cage breaking and how to beat Dwarves.
The Taouch! of Blood Bowl - great general strategy guide for newbies.
The Art of Blocking - assists, how they work, and how to set them up. PDF download.
Individual racial guides - includes roster tips and options. NOTE: not all the teams or star players in these guides are available in BB2. Yet(?).
One turn touchdowns - turn 16, you've just been scored against to make it 2-2 and your opponent thinks the draw is all you will manage? Time to think again...
Playbooks - a list of strategy guides for each race. Includes Bretonnians. NOTE: not all the teams or star players in these guides are available in BB2. Yet(?).
The Bank - this is one of the changes between LRB6 and BB2. We believe it works as per the linked post.
The NAF - The NAF is an organisation which is mainly tabletop oriented, but they obviously have an interest in online. The link includes a list of known discrepancies between online and CRP.

Video:
cknoor's video guides - I'm told they are very good.

League:
Younglings - someone on Reddit decided to create a newbie friendly league called Younglings. Give it a go. Any vets joining should be prepared to coach their opponent rather than crush them!

Math stuff:
Samba Action Calculator - an awesome little tool from Elyoukey which can string together potential moves to see what the odds are. So when your opponent did that dodge, hand off, pass, scatter, catch and 2 GFIs into the endzone to win you can work out exactly how lucky he was. Because that's important! ;)

Razzlie

Re: General advice for new players

Postby Razzlie » 14 September 2015, 10:45

http://bloodsbowl.blogspot.com has nice tutorials and a link to an even nicer two part video guide on youtube
http://bloodbowl.krokodille.com/files/b ... ceLRB5.pdf nice quick reference, with AG table
http://bbtactics.com/armor-break-and-injury-tables/ what it says on the tin

This one isn't really study material for new players but I'll include it anyways

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ednwzorq89gc ... %20Ed1.pdf very nice and complete book with various kinds of detailed information and advanced concepts

PaloLV

Postby PaloLV » 14 September 2015, 16:12

And the final thing new players will want and need to know about...

http://store.steampowered.com/steam_refunds/

Sephorin

Postby Sephorin » 14 September 2015, 17:16

Thank you, dode and Razzlie. Good stuff.

Tsukari

Postby Tsukari » 15 September 2015, 17:18

I would also add this odds calculator. Not quite as important now that percentages are included on screen, but to my knowledge it doesn't give you the overall percentages for your move, nor does it show you the percentage with or without a team re-roll handy.

http://www.elyoukey.com/sac/

Anopheles

Postby Anopheles » 15 September 2015, 21:19

Don't ever concede (except for not being able to physically be at the computer, obvs).

You learn nothing, except how to run.

Steele

Postby Steele » 23 September 2015, 13:58

League:
Younglings - someone on Reddit decided to create a newbie friendly league called Younglings. Give it a go. Any vets joining should be prepared to coach their opponent rather than crush them!
NEVER! THIS.... IS.... BLOOD BOWL! (In the voice of that guy from "300")

*Fouls newbie repeatedly*

WELCOME TO BLOOD BOWL!

;)

SquirrelDude

Postby SquirrelDude » 24 September 2015, 00:10

There are many players in cKnoor's community of players who are willing to do teaching games of the basics, and some who can make time to do slightly more advanced concepts (how do I play a passy team, how do I defend with elves, basic positioning, etc.).

Link to the steam group page

Lost_in_Tactics

Postby Lost_in_Tactics » 25 September 2015, 04:28

Greetings,

I am new to this wonderful game.

I just wanted to thank the OP for this nicely organized wealth of information. I also wanted to alert the OP, the current rulebook link above is not working (well, not on my iPhone) the loading bar reaches almost to the end and then just stops and hang's there.

I've tried closing my safari browser and relaunching it, tried opening the link in a whole new tab - still to no avail. I'm mostly on my iPhone so I hope it gets fixed so I can read the current rule set.

Thanks again.

The Disciple of Ky

Postby The Disciple of Ky » 26 September 2015, 21:55

Bunch of advice.

1. Don't concede if you're about to lose - all it takes is a lucky roll for you or an unlucky one for your opposition and you're going to win. I mean one can roll 9 ones in a row (as I once did) or reroll 3 skulls into 3 skulls which results in a break of your armour and death/-st (so death) of the player.

But feel free to concede if you've got some terrible injuries on several important players, in that case it's very understandable - I mean if you're not going to play this team anyway more money/MVP will benefit the winner.

2. If the only way to stop a touchdown or score it yourself is by attempting insane rolls, GO FOR IT. Try your luck with Nuffle! Do it especially if it's the very last turn or if you know hesitation will ensure the enemy scores. Try even a 5+ or a 6 dodge into 3 red die if there's absolutely nothing else you can do because nearly every player you have is injured, KO'd or too far away - I mean you'll lose a TD no matter what if you don't try it so why not ask Nuffle for some generosity when it's obvious it was not present there previously?

Last game which was generally very unlucky for me I tried picking up a ball with my GR on a 5+, dodged away on 3+ (due to prehensile tail), threw a ball on 3+ to my Storm Vermin who had to roll 4+ to catch it, 3+ to dodge and 2+ 2+ to GFI. Thanks to that play I won. It was extremely unlikely but I've had no alternatives so why not at least try?

Return to “General”