Moderator post open

Everything dealing with the video game developed by Cyanide!

Moderator post open

Postby dode74 » 31 October 2015, 07:51

Some time after BB1 was released I took up the role as moderator here in order to help people enjoy the great game of Blood Bowl using Cyanide's BB client. This concept was epitomised on the release of LE when the ability to create player-run open leagues led to me being asked by several members of the community to start an alternative to Naggaroth/Auld, which is what spawned FOL. At the time Cyanide were extremely helpful, providing data to help me police it and, along with some great help from people like Verbal_HM, create an open league environment where people had good odds of getting a full game played.

With that came greater communication with both Cyanide and Focus, and the opportunity to take part in several of their other related projects such as Star Coach and Dungeonbowl. It was taking part in the latter, and a look through the database, which led to discovery of the Khorne roster, a quick look at which showed how much assistance Cyanide needed to create something which wasn't going to break the game. I was asked to help and brought in a few people, including people of ex-BBRC fame, to create the roster seen in BBCE now. The process was rather fraught, and involved a lot of restrictions and what I considered to be a "backwards" method of creating a team. A Khorne team was eventually released with CE, and, like it or loathe it, it performs as the design intended. A frank discussion was had with Cyanide about the process and little more was said until they approached me for help with BB2 in 2013.

The development and discussion cycle for BB2 was different. No longer were Cyanide interested in anything I or any of the other very experienced coaches and league managers had to say about the game, despite some apparent initial interest. When several of us expressed scepticism at some of their design decisions it seems we, as a group, were cut off almost entirely: they merely used us to test for bugs. Even that was nigh-on impossible given the extraordinary lack of communication, the failure to inform us of what the game rules should be (we had no idea whether the human catcher change was a bug or not), the almost unusable dice log, and the near total lack of any organised testing at all - I think we had a Focus "run" tournament towards the end of the test period, but otherwise it was more a case of "here's the game, see what you can do". There was no directed testing of specifics such as league management, skill interaction or individual skill mechanics. That kind of approach can work in a very large open beta where someone, somewhere will try just about anything, but with only about 20 people at most, no in-game communication, and no direction as to what to test the closed beta was seen by me and many others as a total and utter waste of everyone's time: we weren't listened to even when we did report what we saw as bugs, we were merely a drain on resource rather than any sort of enabler.

So now we are at BB2 release, and some weeks afterwards we finally have confirmation that all those things we thought were bugs are actually intentional. The game is fundamentally changed in many ways, particularly with the broken bank system and the changes to skills being mandatory. Add to that the lack of any sort of progress from BB1 in terms of matchmaking (and VoodooMike did all the groundwork they need to create a better system than what they had), nonsense justifications of the changes they have made, a total lack of any commitment to future team creation, and no improvement in their communication other than a whitewash AMA where little of any substance was actually answered and I find that I can't in good conscience continue as moderator here with the same intent with which I started.

Blood Bowl is a great game, but Cyanide's Blood Bowl 2 is a debasement of it. The graphics are nice, the aesthetic is great, but Cyanide have taken too many steps backwards in terms of mechanics even from BB1 for me to be able to do what I tried to do with that game in good conscience: I can't try to help people enjoy BB2 more because I don't believe it is a game worth helping people with and, while I accept that different people want different things from their gaming, I think anyone who would willingly choose BB2 over BB1 (for all its failings, and there are many) is choosing style over substance. BB2 is not, in my opinion, worth playing, and therefore the forums are not worth my time to moderate (although I will most certainly come here to bitch about the game plenty!). I therefore resign as a moderator here.

Re: Moderator post open

Postby sann0638 » 31 October 2015, 08:08

Thanks for all your hard work Dode.
President of the NAF, the global Blood Bowl players' organisation (

Postby LunchMoney » 31 October 2015, 09:29

Hear, hear!
Click here to read how to score in one turn, with a MA6 player
Read the actual rule book? If not, get it here and read it before posting questions about rules.
I am a NAF rep. Email me your questions.

Postby pmm_fin » 31 October 2015, 09:44

And that's only from a multiplayer point of view :(

Solo is not just "different", it's unplayable as in playing it makes no sense at all.

Postby Darkson » 31 October 2015, 11:31

Shame, but understandable.

I wonder how long it will take them to actually remove dode's mod access - given their normal incompetence I expect it to take a few weeks.
Galak 3:16 says "There is a point in time that a player really should read the rulebook."
Home of the ARBBL
TalkFantasyFootball admin - PM me if you need help.
Nope, I was talking about a 0TTD on a Blitz! using TTM.

Postby Waldorf » 31 October 2015, 11:39

Dode - the BB community owes you a great debt of gratitude. You undertook an impossible job and you did it with style.

Thank you for everything you did and tried to do.

Don't be a stranger!
Mahrak Cardinals - Division G.

Postby harvestmouse » 31 October 2015, 11:49

Shame, but understandable.

I wonder how long it will take them to actually remove dode's mod access - given their normal incompetence I expect it to take a few weeks.

Postby Imploded77 » 31 October 2015, 14:12

Dode, thanks for everything! Gathering data for BB games together with you was a lot of fun. Ah, those were the days!
The one and only Russian Blood Bowl League: RuBBL:

Postby RTSD » 31 October 2015, 15:35

Dode you are a gem, we all wanted them to just actually think for once... it appears they are utterly incapable.

Postby Skipbidder » 31 October 2015, 15:48

I'm a bit surprised that you lasted as long as you did.

Thanks for the work that you did.

But, with a face like yours, I'm sure you'll do fine. Have you ever considered a career in acting?

Return to “General”