New Matchmaking System

Everything dealing with the video game developed by Cyanide!
Netheos
Administrateur

New Matchmaking System

Postby Netheos » 21 March 2016, 14:57

Hey Coaches,

As announced in our community Norse update, the patch introducing the Norse team will also bring several features awaited by the community. This includes new Star Players for the current races and numerous bug fixes, along with a new matchmaking system in ladder competitions.

This new matchmaking system is based on the TV++. It's been developed in a way that gives us a lot of options to modify its formula and key parameters. Thanks to these new tools, it will evolve according to your feedback and the data recorded after its release.
  • The new matchmaking system works with a draw system. A pool is created with all the team looking for an opponent. Every 2 minutes, the system tries to make the best pair with the team registered in this pool.
  • The value used by the system to make these pairs is TV + R * (W - L) with :
    • TV : Team Value
    • W : Number of win for this specific team
    • L : Number of loss for this specific team
    • R : 50
  • If a player has been waiting for too long (based on a factor * processing time for this competition), this player will have a priority to be paired. This parameter is currently set to 5 since the Undead update (After the second draw, the player has priority).
  • There is a maximum TV difference applied to the matchmaking formula (500 since the Undead update). Two teams with a TV difference higher than this cannot be paired.
The processing time (currently 5 minutes), the factor R (50 by default), the priority factor (2 by default) and the maximum TV difference (currently 500 by default) can all be set easily, allowing the system to evolve over time, according to your feedback.

We're still working on refining the algorithm and we'd also like to take into account the TV++ for the inducements in ladder.

Do let the team know what you think!

Have fun on the pitch,
Cyanide Studio & Focus Home Interactive
Focus Team

dynamoDes

Re: New Matchmaking System

Postby dynamoDes » 21 March 2016, 15:04

Thanks Netheos. I'm sure you guys can't have failed to see how divisive the topic has been, so hopefully this will settle a few nerves. I'm glad to hear you're so focused on making it tweakable depending on results.

Do we have a date for the update yet or is it still not set?

Dreamerbg

Postby Dreamerbg » 21 March 2016, 15:05

2000TV difference and its not 1st April :o

dode74

Postby dode74 » 21 March 2016, 15:06

2 minutes? Not long enough. There are, on average, 3 matches played every 5 minutes, so 6 teams are paired. 2 minutes will work at peak times (EU evenings) when there are up to 9 matches every 5 minutes, but outside that it'll make little difference.

sjaugust1

Postby sjaugust1 » 21 March 2016, 15:07

Cool.
I'm a little confused though with the two teams with a TV over 2000 being unable to be paired. Does that mean they can't find games? Or am I missing the point?

SquirrelDude

Postby SquirrelDude » 21 March 2016, 15:08

So will inducements be based on team value or the TV+zSum?

Will the 2 minutes only fail to matchup a coach if there is an odd number of coaches or will it also fail if there is an absurd TV++/TV difference?

Will coaches be able to activate multiple team to find a single match simultaneously?

Will there be any delays between activation periods of the pool? Will coaches need to reactivate for each period?

Will coaches know how many other coaches are in the pool when they activate? Will they be able to see what teams or coaches are in the activation pool?

How will concessions affect TV++/zSum?

Will the public ladder leaderboards be reset when the new matchmaking is implemented?

Will private leagues have the option of using team value to match teams instead of TV++?
When will this update be implemented?
Last edited by SquirrelDude on 21 March 2016, 15:22, edited 8 times in total.

dode74

Postby dode74 » 21 March 2016, 15:09

So will inducements be based on team value or the TV+zSum?
TV is the info I have.

Machurto

Postby Machurto » 21 March 2016, 15:11

Cool.
I'm a little confused though with the two teams with a TV over 2000 being unable to be paired. Does that mean they can't find games? Or am I missing the point?
It is a TV difference. A TV1000 team eill never be paired with a TV3100 team. Although maybe they mean a TV++ difference

licker34

Postby licker34 » 21 March 2016, 15:13

Cool.
They mean that the maximum TV difference 2 teams can have and still be paired is 2000. That's still insanely high, but I guess they can modify it as they collect data.

As Dode said, 2m is probably too short, but as a starting point we'll see how it works.

As others have debated endlessly, an incomplete implementation of the system is likely to not lead to desired results, but again, we'll see.

My question is this...
we'd also like to take into account the TV++ for the inducements in ladder.
Means that you are considering implementing TV++ as just a pairings generator but NOT use it for actual inducement differential? Doesn't that basically defeat the entire purpose of it?

morbidorbits

Postby morbidorbits » 21 March 2016, 15:15

Thanks Netheos. Can the resulting numbers be negative (as my quick test seemed to show that they can)? Is this correct that you can potentially have someone with 7,000 and someone with -3,000? (although not matched against each other)

Return to “General”