New Ranking System

Everything dealing with the video game developed by Cyanide!
Netheos
Administrateur

New Ranking System

Postby Netheos » 05 September 2016, 16:54

Hey Coaches,

As announced here, the "Necromantic" update coming this week will introduce a brand new ranking system in ladder.

This will apply to all the ladders in Blood Bowl 2. The previous system was partially broken and we needed a new better system to introduce our new competitive ladder.

The goal of the new system is to answer to several key points:
  • The results of the ranking has to be understandable by players...
  • ...yet be robust enough to rank thousands of teams.
  • The marginal gain of a match has to be decreasing (to avoid that coaches playing 15 hours per day stay automatically at the top of the leaderboard with 600 matches played in 2 months).
The Formula

With
  • PF the factor introducing the 3rd criteria (especially with the ^0.05 creating an asymptote).

• AllPlayed = Total amount of matches played by the team (everything, concessions won and lost included).
  • Points = 10*(number of victories without concessions) + 6*(number of draws) + 2*(number of losses without concessions) +6*(number of victories with concessions) -10*(number of losses with concessions)
  • RankPoint is the ranking value of a team.
    • If RankPoints Team A > RankPoints Team B => Team A > Team B in the leaderboard.
The first version of this new system won't take into account the concession because implementing them into the formula take a long time. That's why the current version use the following formula in the RankPoints calculation:
  • Points = 10*(number of victories) + 6*(number of draws) + 2*(number of losses)
The formula will be updated as explained above after the first season.

We chose to launch a first season with this system, even if it isn't complete, than to wait 2 more months. The first season might be a bit difficult but we'll learn a lot from it.
Focus Team

SquirrelDude

Re: New Ranking System

Postby SquirrelDude » 05 September 2016, 17:46

Could we get some example of how the new ranking system would change the rankings as we currently see them. It's all a bit abstract at the moment. Forgive me, I haven't taken a match class since Calculus in high school.

dode74

Postby dode74 » 05 September 2016, 17:46

RPoints.png
RPoints.png (21.15 KiB) Viewed 4713 times
The above charts how your Rank Points will increase with games played on the x-axis and Rank Points on the y-axis, with individual series' for mean points per game at 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10.

Someone who wins every game would follow the top blue line, while someone who draws every game would follow the middle grey line, for example. The player who goes 10-0-0 and sits on it would be overtaken by the player who goes 0-24-0 (or 12-0-12). This can seem counter-intuitive at low numbers of games played, but this gives an incentive to play more games and not just sit on a low games-played but successful record as it requires far more games to equal the winning record as the number of wins increases. For example, if the 10-0-0 coach goes to 20-0-0 then the other player needs 77 matches averaging a draw to surpass his Rank Points.

dode74

Postby dode74 » 05 September 2016, 17:47

Could we get some example of how the new ranking system would change the rankings as we currently see them. It's all a bit abstract at the moment. Forgive me, I haven't taken a match class since Calculus in high school.
Given the rankings as we currently see them aren't actually working even according to the intended system there's not really much point in that. Hopefully the post above will help, though.

SquirrelDude

Postby SquirrelDude » 05 September 2016, 17:57

Should losses be giving points?

dode74

Postby dode74 » 05 September 2016, 17:59

Should losses be giving points?
When the full system is in place, with concession losses giving negative points (see OP), the aim is to reward completed games and punish concessions in the rankings.

dynamoDes

Postby dynamoDes » 05 September 2016, 18:32

Looks interesting. Is it a new creation or based on an existing ranking system from elsewhere?

twitch/the_sage_bb
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/theSagebb/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/the_Sage_BB

Postby twitch/the_sage_bb » 05 September 2016, 18:45

If I'm reading this right, being conceded on will not just cost you progress, but it will actually lower your asymptote? That seems like something worth looking into.
Content: Twitch / Youtube ; Updates: Facebook / Twitter
(because people with big banners are just compensating)

bleedinghippy

Postby bleedinghippy » 05 September 2016, 18:45

So I get that you want to avoid concedes, however giving the person who was conceded to fewer points seems a bit unfair. If the systems works as intended (I.e. Removing frivolous concedes) then it punishes people for dominating a game (the other main cause of conceding). So you're punishing a team for getting a crushing victory in injuries for example, because the other coach decides to tactically concede in order to preserve the teams chances of continuing.

I know that currently 'concede farming' is thought to be not as hard as playing every game fully (and certainly it is in the current state of people conceding because of turn 1 stuns and KOs etc.) however if the concede culture goes in the way you want it, I.e only in extreme circumstances, then the team who is winning will get punished for dominating games.

I think this is worth thinking more about if we do see an improvement in the concede culture, especially in the competitive league

dode74

Postby dode74 » 05 September 2016, 18:50

Looks interesting. Is it a new creation or based on an existing ranking system from elsewhere?
It's a new system in implementation, but the concept of diminishing returns isn't new.
If I'm reading this right, being conceded on will not just cost you progress, but it will actually lower your asymptote? That seems like something worth looking into.
It will. It is to prevent farming for concessions.
I think this is worth thinking more about if we do see an improvement in the concede culture, especially in the competitive league
It's an option. Worth noting that the first season will run without the penalty for concessions being applied. If it works well then there may well be an option to keep it that way: as Netheos said, we can learn from it.

Return to “General”