As announced here, the "Necromantic" update coming this week will introduce a brand new ranking system in ladder.
This will apply to all the ladders in Blood Bowl 2. The previous system was partially broken and we needed a new better system to introduce our new competitive ladder.
The goal of the new system is to answer to several key points:
- The results of the ranking has to be understandable by players...
- ...yet be robust enough to rank thousands of teams.
- The marginal gain of a match has to be decreasing (to avoid that coaches playing 15 hours per day stay automatically at the top of the leaderboard with 600 matches played in 2 months).
- PF the factor introducing the 3rd criteria (especially with the ^0.05 creating an asymptote).
- AllPlayed = Total amount of matches played by the team (everything, concessions won and lost included).
- Points = 10*(number of victories without concessions) + 6*(number of draws) + 2*(number of losses without concessions) +6*(number of victories with concessions) -10*(number of losses with concessions)
- RankPoint is the ranking value of a team.
- If RankPoints Team A > RankPoints Team B => Team A > Team B in the leaderboard.
The first version of this new system won't take into account the concession because implementing them into the formula take a long time. That's why the current version use the following formula in the RankPoints calculation:
- Points = 10*(number of victories) + 6*(number of draws) + 2*(number of losses)
The formula will be updated as explained above after the first season.
We chose to launch a first season with this system, even if it isn't complete, than to wait 2 more months. The first season might be a bit difficult but we'll learn a lot from it.