Reconnect after game crash

Everything dealing with the video game developed by Cyanide!
StormHammer

Reconnect after game crash

Postby StormHammer » 05 February 2017, 21:13

Is it possible to reconnect if the game crashes?

Just lost with a concede on PS4 due to a short 1 minute power outage, was a total of 5 minutes before the game was up and running again.

There really should be an option to reconnect to a match within 10 minutes or so, maybe with a maximum allowed total disconnect time to prevent abuse.

Miraskadu

Re: Reconnect after game crash

Postby Miraskadu » 06 February 2017, 01:21

There is an option to reconnect.

On PC it is a recurring timer of 6 minutes, on PS4 it might be shorter due to a PS4 booting faster and starting the game quicker than some PCs.

10 minutes would be way too long. Or do you want to sit in a game 10 minutes doing literally nothing at all?

StormHammer

Postby StormHammer » 06 February 2017, 07:29

In a game lasting more than one hour each match I don't see a problem with 10 minutes. The difference in gamelength between a fast moving coach and a slow one that always use 2 minutes turns + every second in dialog choices is longer than that anyway.

Additionally, rebooting PS4 after an unexpected shutdown, including the error checking, is usually slower than starting the game on a decent PC with an OS SSD. Finding a new game on PS4 also take a several minutes (3-10), so additional time spent waiting wouldn't be that severe.

Searching didn't let me find a reconnect option after game crash, just after network hiccups. Is the reconnect after crash implemented on PS4?

Miraskadu

Postby Miraskadu » 06 February 2017, 10:21

You are comparing boot times to an OS SSD PC, so one of the fastest booting PCs, you can have, enough PCs are still running on HDD.

And to be fair 10 minutes waiting might not seem bad. But it is not 10 minutes waiting, in which I can grap a coffee or go away from the PC. The game reconnects as soon as my opponents is back in the game. Which means, I have to sit 10 minutes in front of the PC and wait for you to come back. Otherwise I run the risk of loosing my turn of not being able to make a last action. And 10 minutes not doing anything is atrocious.

samt2806

Postby samt2806 » 06 February 2017, 15:06

Ps4 doesnt have reconnect option, sadly.
Blood & Tears Perpetual Co-founder
PS4 CCL Admin
Your 6 concedes were disconnects and crashes?! Yeah right :mrgreen: "

StormHammer

Postby StormHammer » 06 February 2017, 18:29

samt2806 wrote:Ps4 doesnt have reconnect option, sadly.

Too bad, hopefully they'll add that to the console version in an update.

Miraskadu wrote:You are comparing boot times to an OS SSD PC, so one of the fastest booting PCs, you can have, enough PCs are still running on HDD.

And to be fair 10 minutes waiting might not seem bad. But it is not 10 minutes waiting, in which I can grap a coffee or go away from the PC. The game reconnects as soon as my opponents is back in the game. Which means, I have to sit 10 minutes in front of the PC and wait for you to come back. Otherwise I run the risk of loosing my turn of not being able to make a last action. And 10 minutes not doing anything is atrocious.

It's been a while since I've had a PC without 64GB or more SSD for OS.

I would get the coffee, and just keep the game sound loud enough to hear my opponent moving when he returns :) An easy fix for the coffee run would be for the game to pause the turn timer for the still connected player until key/mouse action or 5 minutes pass (after 30 sec disconnect). Then the grab-a-coffee run wouldn't turn into fumble when you go for it to make your turn. We don't want spilled coffee or drowned PC's. :lol:

Miraskadu

Postby Miraskadu » 06 February 2017, 20:54

StormHammer wrote:

I would get the coffee, and just keep the game sound loud enough to hear my opponent moving when he returns :) An easy fix for the coffee run would be for the game to pause the turn timer for the still connected player until key/mouse action or 5 minutes pass (after 30 sec disconnect). Then the grab-a-coffee run wouldn't turn into fumble when you go for it to make your turn. We don't want spilled coffee or drowned PC's. :lol:

Problem, with that, you opponent disconnects right in the middle of your action, hence picking the square your opponents is to be pushed at. 15 seconds to react to the game sounds of your guy moving. That will spill this god damn coffee quickly. And as far as I am aware even SSDs don't like taking a bath, in a mochachino with extra vanilla and choclate sprinkles. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

StormHammer

Postby StormHammer » 06 February 2017, 21:18

Miraskadu wrote:
StormHammer wrote:

Problem, with that, you opponent disconnects right in the middle of your action, hence picking the square your opponents is to be pushed at. 15 seconds to react to the game sounds of your guy moving. That will spill this god damn coffee quickly. And as far as I am aware even SSDs don't like taking a bath, in a mochachino with extra vanilla and choclate sprinkles. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hmm. Maybe a dedicated pause button for coffee breaks would be something to suggest to the developers?

Klejthane

Postby Klejthane » 13 March 2017, 15:26

Yeah, we had this problem last night.

I understand why the auto-concede rule exists for public play, but it doesn't seem appropriate in all circumstances.

We play in an invite-only league with people who all know each other. We get in party chat and play together.
Last night, one player had a PS4 network error with about 3 turns left, and got dropped. He texted right away to say he was rebooting his PS4, but there was no way he could beat the 2 minute timer. Despite his opponent knowing that he was returning, the opponent was powerless to stop the timer. No SPP, no gold, and bonus MVP for his opponent.

It seems like there are two potential solutions...

1. Give the league manager the option to set the length of the timer for disconnects in league setup.
2. Give the opposing team the option to push a button to pause the 2-minute timer or to add a minute to the timer, something along those lines.

It's frustrating that in a situation where both players know that the game can be resumed, they are unable to do so because of an arbitrary time limit. No reasonable network issue requiring a reboot of the PS4 or router can be resolved in 2 minutes.

Klejthane

Postby Klejthane » 13 March 2017, 15:28

samt2806 wrote:Ps4 doesnt have reconnect option, sadly.

Wait, so if you get disconnected during a PS4 match, you just auto-concede? Why even have the 2-minute timer then?

Return to “General”