Sportsmanship and BB2

Everything dealing with the video game developed by Cyanide!
Ponghines

Sportsmanship and BB2

Postby Ponghines » 15 February 2017, 17:09

Hi everyone.

Following a big post of an administrator in another thread I'm interested in what BB2 players think about sportsmanship and game.

I play a lot of games, mainly poker and Magic, where the general attitude is to use all the space into the rules to get an advantage: everyone does it and this is not considered unfair.

Here I have understood that one major concern of administrators is to protect fair play and sportsmanship.

What do you think is better to support when rules and fair play clash?

I make an example: S3 CLadder is ending, I play my last match to round up my team, I'm sure of my playoff spot. I win but I get 3 miss next game injuries! I play another match and instant concede so my team is ready for first turn of playoffs.

Is this not fair play? Is it cheating? Or simply it is using a rule to get an advantage?

What do you think?

TheSpydyr

Re: Sportsmanship and BB2

Postby TheSpydyr » 15 February 2017, 17:13

As long as it doesn't break the 5 concessions rule, then it falls within the rule set. However it certainly lies outside the realm of good sportsmanship.
Spydyr

The RNG is not broken, you are not "the unluckiest coach in the world" and the computer does not cheat, you just suck.

Twitch
YouTube

licker34

Postby licker34 » 15 February 2017, 17:23

Yet another reason why the rule of 51 should be considered.

But you know who ultimately would decide this? Guys like Spyder and the other admins. If they felt it was against the spirit of the competition they might take action.

You could get around it by just playing another game and not throwing any blocks and running away from contact as much as possible too. Now someone might still cry collusion and you might still get a light shone in your direction.

So really it's up to you. Do you want to do douchey things and be lambasted by people who get their undies knotted about it? Or do you want to play by what you seem to think may be 'fair play'?

The standard response though is usually 'if you have to ask, the answer is no'.

Right?

Ponghines

Postby Ponghines » 15 February 2017, 18:05

As I said I come from games where there is only play, not fair play (or unfair play) so this seems pretty strange to me. Given that administrators have the right to do as they like and that I accept their rulings I am just curious: do you think it's good for BB2?

samt2806

Postby samt2806 » 15 February 2017, 18:49

Regarding rules, i see nothing wrong doing this.

On sportmanship level, i see it on the same level as T16 gangfoul when you're winning. Not very sportmanlike, not elegant, but in the rules.

We established rules, as long as you stay in the limits of those we have nothing to say. If our rules raise behaviors we want to avoid, we will change them.

The 51SPPs rule would be nice for that, but hard to implement since any connection failure or game crash gonna decimate your team.

Edit : This is my personnal opinion, not the one of the admin team.
Blood & Tears Perpetual Co-founder
PS4 CCL Admin
Your 6 concedes were disconnects and crashes?! Yeah right :mrgreen: "

vgpurist
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/vgpurist/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/vgpurist

Postby vgpurist » 15 February 2017, 19:33

I'm an admin and I don't see anything wrong with this. There's nothing preventing you from doing this besides the 5 concessions rule. I also don't see anything in our admin forums about your specific situation. Where is the post you are referring to? (sorry but I don't read the entire forums)

In my opinion, the format is a single elimination tournament straight from the ladder competition and so I'd rather you be at full strength.
VG Purist

YouTube
Twitch

Ponghines

Postby Ponghines » 15 February 2017, 19:57

I'm talking about a post from seriousjest in the end of s3/blue screen thread. My example is just that, an example, but It shows how simple is to consider a game choice fair or unfair giving it a "ethic" meaning that it should not have. Once you start going this way a lot of things can be unfair. It's just a game! I hope to be clear enough cause my English is not so good

seriousjest
Facebook: seriousjest
Twitter: seriousjest

Postby seriousjest » 15 February 2017, 20:29

Pong, notice I used both "fair play" and "sportsmanship." Those are 2 different things, although they go hand-in-hand.

Just because you do something that is technically "fair play" within the rules as they are written doesn't mean it's good sportsmanship. Also, "fair"often depends on where you're sitting. How did you feel when you were excluded from the S2 playoffs because Arzowane deleted his dark elf team an hour before the deadline?

Also, the rules are often confined by our ability to police them. For instance, concessions are not okay. They have no place in the Champion Ladder. That being said, involuntary disconnections and blue screens are frequent, and there is no efficient way to police whether concessions are due to legitimate disconnects/blue screens or voluntary quitting. So we give you 8 total concessions over a season, in case you're someone who is really unlucky with your blue screens or has a really bad connection. And then when people come back and complain that they only really conceded 4 times and the other 5 times were involuntary blue screens, we tell them that they shouldn't have conceded 4 times.

This last example illustrates the point I was making in the other thread. If you're "gaming the system," and playing within the rules by strategically voluntarily conceding up to your limit, we're not going to accuse you of cheating. But if something unforeseen happens, like an unexpected blue screen that puts you over the limit, we're not going to make an exception for you, either.
PS4 Champion Cup co-admin, co-host of "Live from the ManCave!!!," and your favorite Blood Bowl coach's favorite Blood Bowl coach

Ponghines

Postby Ponghines » 15 February 2017, 22:05

Honestly I wished FantFox, that got in in my place, good luck (and it worked!) but I don't wanted to turn this into a me vs administrators post! I already said that you can act as you like and I respect your decisions. I also tried to explain my doubts and was just wondering about the general thoughts of the other coaches.

Valcurdra

Postby Valcurdra » 16 February 2017, 01:30

Good idea i never would have thought of that!

Its fine, people giving you grief need to specify that this conduct is unfair PRIOR to it happening not after.

What is unfair is trying to enforce some invisible moral code on others just because you dont like something they did.

Return to “General”