turn times.

Everything dealing with the video game developed by Cyanide!
khelvan

Re: turn times.

Postby khelvan » 16 April 2017, 09:07

Some rando telling a professional player how to play bloodbowl..... seems legit.
Who is the "professional" player?

VoodooMike

Postby VoodooMike » 16 April 2017, 13:28

Some rando telling a professional player how to play bloodbowl..... seems legit.
What the hell is a "professional player" in Blood Bowl? Someone who plays Blood Bowl full time and pays their bills with it? Do they put it on their CV?

The only thing professional about someone who tries to go that deep into BB is the sort of help they need.
Friendly Reminder: Correlation does not equal Causation - tattoo it on the inside of your eyelids if it'll help.

JimmyFantastic

Postby JimmyFantastic » 16 April 2017, 15:20

What the hell is a "professional player" in Blood Bowl? Someone who plays Blood Bowl full time and pays their bills with it? Do they put it on their CV?
Me. Yeah. Yeah.
You should know whether you're going to reroll a fail before you roll the dice in the first place. If you don't know, you shouldn't be throwing the dice.
This * 1000

Jimmy what are you talking about. Crazy comment.
Ok I'll tell you what I'm talking about.
You have 3 guys with Block MB on the LOS. They will all make 2dbs, this requires no thinking.

You are making the blocks whether you need to reroll them or not. Let's imagine you roll a dub skull on the first 2DB... do you reroll? Let's imagine it takes 10 seconds to decide. That's potentially 30 seconds you need to spend (circumstances can change before each block) rather than just 10 if you actually fail. (note that this example isn't really about the 15 second timer, though it could be if you require 20 seconds - just a counterpoint to the "You should know whether you're going to reroll a fail before you roll the dice in the first place" comment)

Your opponent has put a man on the sideline to be surfed. You decide to blitz him, this takes about half a second.

You roll a both down with your Wrestle player. You could Wrestle him and go for a foul or you could greed re-roll. Let's say this decision takes 1 minute. Thanks to the 15 second timer you have to spend a minute before you make the blitz (a blitz you are taking a 100% of the time) for an occurrence that only takes place 1/9 times. Maybe a few seconds to decide whether to RR a Double Skull but lets ignore that. So over all your games you are spending 9 minutes instead of one. Stuff like that adds up, even over the course of a game.

I remember a game where I went for a Bull Centaur Pick Up.

The ball was in no tackle zones and it was my last action so I was 100% making the pick up attempt. Thanks to the 15 second timer I was forced to spend 2 minutes thinking about whether to re-roll before I made the roll... which was only a decision that had to be made half the time anyway.

Prkl

Postby Prkl » 16 April 2017, 18:26

Yeah, let's get rid of the 15 sec timers for the active team. That way you can take the time to think whether to reroll or not when the situation happens. Instead of having to think about it every time before taking an action. Probably results faster turns/games overall.

For the inactive team 15 sec decision timer seems appropriate.

The change would result gameplay closer to table top's. Totally acceptable to think about rerolling for more than 15 seconds in a tricky situation. It will burn down your turn timer afterall.

Valcurdra

Postby Valcurdra » 16 April 2017, 23:34

Jimmy I understand what you said, I just don't agree.

Literally every time I make a roll I know if I am going to re roll before I make it. It's not a complicated decision. Doesn't require any of the amount of time your crediting it with.

St. Cloud

Postby St. Cloud » 17 April 2017, 09:42

Wow. A pro... :o

Valcurdra

Postby Valcurdra » 18 April 2017, 12:48

Who is the "professional" player?
Some rando calling me a rando. Also seems legit.

Return to “General”