Human thrower

Everything dealing with the video game developed by Cyanide!
Scram Lyche

Re: Human thrower

Postby Scram Lyche » 28 February 2017, 14:05

JimmyFantastic wrote:Please for the love of god do not listen to anyone recommending Strong Arm ever.

Depends on how much someone loves the passing game. I would never argue for anything other than strength on a double 6, on any player.. except when its rolled on a thrower and if that coach loves to pass.

Strong arm (+accurate and pass) changes the whole team significantly, it actually turns humans into a passing team, because without all three of those skills human throwers kinda suck. Humies get decent catchers but the passer can never get the ball deep to them because he's a fumbling f*kwit. Give him SA on top of accurate grants him a whopping 25% accuracy increase, makes long bomba 75% and long passes are now a cinch. Basically it opens up the passing game.

Just offering an alternative option, I'm not arrogant enough to say I'm right, but I feel that personally, how I play, I could get more out of SA than ST on a thrower.
Last edited by Scram Lyche on 28 February 2017, 14:48, edited 1 time in total.

dode74

Postby dode74 » 28 February 2017, 14:24

Scram Lyche wrote:in reality he's more than likely not to reach 76spp.
What are you basing that on?
I tend to prefer looking at the real world odds
Got any idea what they are?

Scram Lyche

Postby Scram Lyche » 28 February 2017, 14:55

dode74 wrote:
Scram Lyche wrote:in reality he's more than likely not to reach 76spp.
What are you basing that on?
I tend to prefer looking at the real world odds
Got any idea what they are?

1, I'm basing that on that he's unlikely to be unlikely to be active that long, for a start if he has ST+ he's going to garner a lot of love and affection from the opposition, its a very long road and a lot of fouling / apoth rolls before he gets to 76.

2, Sure, they are 17% once in a blue moon. In other words, in the real world.. fuhgeddaboudit.

dode74

Postby dode74 » 28 February 2017, 15:12

So basically you have no idea and you are guessing. Fair enough. By offering him the accumulated odds I've given him real information on what he can expect in terms of odds and he can make his own decisions regarding longevity.

For reference, a blue moon occurs roughly once every 2.7 years. Given there are usually 12 full moons a year that would make a blue moon 1 in about 32, which is clearly longer odds than 1 in 6. I only mention it because you claim to be referring to "real world odds"; it's often worth knowing how the real world's odds actually work before stating "17% once in a blue moon".
Interestingly, Google gives the frequency as 1.16699016 × 10^-8 hertz, which is a per-second frequency. Again, much more rare than 1 in 6. ;)

Scram Lyche

Postby Scram Lyche » 28 February 2017, 15:27

Ok dode, I'm going to back out of this now, said everything I needed to on this subject in a previous post anyway.. except that is to say that you know full well that I'm not guessing, it's called playing the percentages. You decide now, passer or hardman, because the odds are great that you will not see another double on that player for a very long time.. if ever.

dode74

Postby dode74 » 28 February 2017, 15:55

Scram Lyche wrote:you know full well that I'm not guessing, it's called playing the percentages.
I'd believe you if I thought for a second you know what those percentages are.

Darkson

Postby Darkson » 28 February 2017, 16:19

Given the choice of a human thrower only getting one double but that being a +1ST, and a human thrower getting 2 or more doubles but no +ST then I'll take the +ST every time.

Passing is (unfortunately) not a good way to win a game, and having to get 3 skills (one a double) on a player to be able to throw with a good chance of success is a bad why to plan a team.
Galak 3:16 says "There is a point in time that a player really should read the rulebook."
Home of the ARBBL
TalkFantasyFootball admin - PM me if you need help.
plasmoid wrote:And hey, don't knock masturbating. Judging from this thread, it's a reasonably popular pastime.

Scram Lyche

Postby Scram Lyche » 28 February 2017, 18:45

dode74 wrote:
Scram Lyche wrote:you know full well that I'm not guessing, it's called playing the percentages.
I'd believe you if I thought for a second you know what those percentages are.

You're tiresome.

dode74

Postby dode74 » 28 February 2017, 19:11

Scram Lyche wrote:You're tiresome.
Yep, deliberately in this case. You're providing nothing to substantiate your comments.

Jorgen_CAB

Postby Jorgen_CAB » 05 March 2017, 10:36

I had a +ST thrower a while back and he was actually not that great. He just became a very expensive lineman and his throwing skills was sort of wasted.

I think this depend on your playing style but in my case he just did not touch the ball much and became more of a blocker than a thrower. He was usually out of position to scoop up the ball on defence and not ideal to pick it up on offence in most cases.

When you play humans in online MM leagues you can't build teams higher than around 1400-1500 value before you get thrashed by killer teams. You can only get that many skills on your players and +ST are not that important at that stage as are other skills on other players.

I would get something more usefull, Strong Arm is a decent choice in my opinion.

+ST is decent on a Lineman and great on a Blitzer, but in MM leagues you don't want too many players with expensive skillups.

On my Human team the only skills I want on them are one with Block, Leader and Tackle for a defensive Thrower and one with Accurate, Strong Army, Safe Throw. And this is a stretch in what I can afford on my team in online MM environments. For me players with more skills than that never exist in this game online.

If you were playing the board game or in some other type of long term league (with limited claw teams) then +ST is more of a choice since you have the room to develop players a bit more.

Return to “General”