Best criteria for Matchmaking

Share your ideas and Suggestions about Blood Bowl 2.
Viajero

Best criteria for Matchmaking

Postby Viajero » 15 September 2013, 12:56

If I understood the below correctly and if this is the latest on the MM best predictors discussion originated by VoodooMike, I d suggest Cyanide to consider capturing their conclusions for the upcoming BB2 Matchmaking system (asuming there is one!): Use WF as the criteria for MM instead of TV:

WF (Win Factor) for a given team = Team Wins - Team Losses.

See the detailed review here: http://voodoomath.wordpress.com/author/voodoochat/

Now I probably understand if Cyanide/Focus thought that potential newcomers to the MM system may think TV is still a better way to match players (i.e. with WF it is quite possible that teams with a significant disparity in TV be actually often matched), so maybe another suggestion is to create several MM Public Leagues (much like todoay), each with a different MM criteria. Some based on TV as today, others based on WF. And let the players choose.

EDIT: According to Dode´s post below it seems TV++ was even betetr than WF. Please check the linked blogs for more details.
Last edited by Viajero on 15 September 2013, 14:35, edited 1 time in total.
My general availability to start games is 20:00 - 21:30 GMT+1 during the week with some more flexibility on weekends.

dode74

Re: Best criteria for Matchmaking

Postby dode74 » 15 September 2013, 13:34

I believe TV++ was considered better, which is simply TV adjusted for WF, with each point of WF being worth 30TV. See here.

Otherwise I agree entirely.

angus1903

Postby angus1903 » 15 September 2013, 13:36

Anything that moves towards a performance based system gets a vote for me. In saying this I see no reason why it only has to be one factor. Could we not use this win factor as a primary method then rank using TV within this. assuming there is actually enough teams spinning to make this workable.

dode74

Postby dode74 » 15 September 2013, 13:41

Anything that moves towards a performance based system gets a vote for me. In saying this I see no reason why it only has to be one factor. Could we not use this win factor as a primary method then rank using TV within this. assuming there is actually enough teams spinning to make this workable.
If I understand you then that's exactly what TV++ does.

MattDakka

Postby MattDakka » 15 September 2013, 13:51

The WIN FACTOR sounds good, but consider this:
Team A with a record of 5 wins, 3 draws, 0 losses, TV 1510, WIN FACTOR 5
Team B with 9 wins, 11 draws, 4 losses and TV 1730, WIN FACTOR 5.
By WIN FACTOR they should be closely matched, by TV they are quite mismatched (a difference of 220 TV).
In other words if a team has more draws than wins the WIN FACTOR doesn't work well.
Maybe the draws should count 0.5 for purpose of calculating WIN FACTOR, like this:
WIN FACTOR = [WINS + (DRAWS x 0.5) ] - LOSSES
By this formula team A would have a WIN FACTOR of 6.5, team B a WIN FACTOR of 10.5, and in my experience this represents better the relative value of the 2 teams.

dode74

Postby dode74 » 15 September 2013, 14:02

Statistically, Matt, you are wrong. While common sense suggests you might be right, the data says otherwise. Win% was analysed here.

angus1903

Postby angus1903 » 15 September 2013, 14:10

I have been slated for posting this before but as it is a new forum I think it gives me an excuse to post it again. I would like to see a move towards the way that games are matched in FIFA seasons. Every team in FIFA has a rating of 1 - 5 stars (TV) and all new players start in the bottom division. In a season you play up to 10 games against other teams in your division with the same or similar star rating.

I can't remember the exact totals but depending on the points you score across the 10 games you do the following:

< 10 Relegated
10-14 stay in the same division
15-17 Promoted
> 17 points champions (Fake trophy added to your teams history)

Obviously Blood Bowl has nowhere the player base of FIFA but this just means you need less divisions say 3 and you match based on TV within these divisions. Also in FIFA the player is in a division but in Blood Bowl I think it would work better using the teams meaning you could spin one or more teams in each division.

dode74

Postby dode74 » 15 September 2013, 14:11

Angus, would that not involve splitting the playerbase, thereby reducing the chances of getting a game? I'd be against anything which involves that.

MattDakka

Postby MattDakka » 15 September 2013, 14:16

Statistically, Matt, you are wrong. While common sense suggests you might be right, the data says otherwise. Win% was analysed here.
Sorry but I don't see the relation between that link and the formula, I was talking about WIN FACTOR, not WIN RATE%.
I simply suggested to include draws in the WIN FACTOR formula, because even a draw can improve your team.
I guess that the WIN FACTOR is misleading, it should be called MM FACTOR, MM VALUE, TEAM STRENGTH or whatever you like, at the end of the day it's just a value used to pair teams of same power.
Last edited by MattDakka on 15 September 2013, 14:25, edited 5 times in total.

giorss

Postby giorss » 15 September 2013, 14:20

but to match teams, maybe to consider a bit draw matches and also defeats could be useful to consider the spp and gold earned by those teams
maybe 1 point for victory, 0.33 to draws and 0,05 to defeats to avoid to match new teams with ones that have many draws and losses
august 2010... Torneo della Cappella degli Alpini 2nd edition... 14 players (7 from Italy, 7 from France)... proud to organize it at my mountain house in 2012
http://imageshack.us/g/710/20110806162019.jpg/

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”