Blood!

Share your ideas and Suggestions about Blood Bowl 2.
JimmyFantastic

Blood!

Postby JimmyFantastic » 02 November 2013, 18:32

Rather than the one or two stock animations when we block someone and they happen to get injured with a red cross or a skull how about brutal MK style injuries and fatalities?
Some brutal animations for injuries and lots of blood would be hella cool.

VoodooMike

Re: Blood!

Postby VoodooMike » 03 November 2013, 01:39

Howsabout each time you inflict a casualty, there is blood spatter on your screen that doesn't fade or disappear until the match is over. That'd certainly discourage excessive bash in open leagues as the poor coaches would be unable to figure out what was happening on the pitch if they focused too much on killing the other team!

Maybe it could make the screen increasingly pink and slowly pipe in Indigo Girls music as you made an increasing number of dodges with your elves, too.
Friendly Reminder: Correlation does not equal Causation - tattoo it on the inside of your eyelids if it'll help.

JimmyFantastic

Postby JimmyFantastic » 03 November 2013, 10:31

Nah man I'm serious. I know that there may or may not be an alternative to this version, but if there is/was the only thing that this has over them is graphics but it is wasted on battle chess like stock animations.
I want to see decapitations, spines ripped out, and blood everywhere!
Blood staying on the pitch is a given. I am sure even a game running on java could manage that!

hermanJnr.

Postby hermanJnr. » 03 November 2013, 20:11

I quite like the non-descript animations and blood pools that we have. They already look fairly brutal and they leave a lot to the imagination for when you're making a match report up.

Any more gore would just hinder the natural humour of the game. I don't want to see an Elf getting his eyes gouged out in a thirty-second-long slo-mo bone-shattering mega-fatality because it's not particularly amusing, just unnecessarily sadistic :\

What I would like to see is stuff like sparks or broken armour when someone takes a big hit. Like an armour break actually sending sparks or chunks of metal debris bouncing onto the pitch (even if you don't see much physical damage to the model's armour for obvious budget reasons or whatever).

Plus slightly more bone-crunching sounds. Like a fractured arm produces a nasty snap or something. That way you're getting a visceral experience without losing the fun humour the game is built on.
Formerly on the boards as "NinjaGammaMan".

VoodooMike

Postby VoodooMike » 03 November 2013, 22:00

Nah man I'm serious. I know that there may or may not be an alternative to this version, but if there is/was the only thing that this has over them is graphics but it is wasted on battle chess like stock animations.
This version also has the centralization of all functions in a single program over its alternatives, rather than requiring different sorts of interfaces (web sometimes, app sometimes) for different aspects, and the ability to play single-player matches where you can pause, save, and walk away when you're busy, even if the AI is lousy.

Complicated and varied animations aren't really needed - its still a board game. Cyanide actually did a very smart thing with their version in that they added variability and character without interrupting the flow of the game, in the form of the audio commentary that goes on during the match. If there's one thing they could expand on to great effect, it'd probably be that moreso than death animations, especially since that sort of thing is pretty rare compared to, say, battlechess' animation which occur any time you take a piece.

If they want to expand the animations I'd say they should focus on animations that are likely to be seen more frequently, like blocking animations rather than casualty animations. I'd be ok if those had variation, but maybe not turning the game into mortal kombat. If they did go with what you're suggesting I'd hope they had the option to turn down the violence for the folks who don't want to watch faces of death, BB edition.
Any more gore would just hinder the natural humour of the game. I don't want to see an Elf getting his eyes gouged out in a thirty-second-long slo-mo bone-shattering mega-fatality because it's not particularly amusing, just unnecessarily sadistic :\
Well... I could spare 30 seconds if it was an elf... 60 if it was a dwarf.
Friendly Reminder: Correlation does not equal Causation - tattoo it on the inside of your eyelids if it'll help.

hermanJnr.

Postby hermanJnr. » 09 November 2013, 12:34

Well... I could spare 30 seconds if it was an elf... 60 if it was a dwarf.
When a Dwarf "dies" we should simply see him get knocked over, then the opposition pin him down and cut his beard off. He then gets up and waddles to the reserves box in a shocked daze.

At this point the game fades out, and we're treated to a 2 hour feature length neo-noir epic, complete with a woefully distressed narrative monologue. At first we see him arrive back at the Mountainhome, where his friends and family shun him. He attempts to find work elsewhere, but encounters unfair mistreatment at the hands of the Elves and Humans.

He paints his remaining hair orange and fights a Snow Troll (which, since it has Claw, maims him badly).

Finally we see him sobbing sadly as he crawls to the top of a mountain, and, with the music rising to an emotional crescendo, fatally leaps from the summit to save himself from his crippling eternal shame.

Then the game fades back in, and Jim and Bob laugh.

(Of course, since Dwarves never die, the probability of anyone seeing this cinematic is low enough that it would have a negligible impact on playability).
Formerly on the boards as "NinjaGammaMan".

Colonel Panic

Postby Colonel Panic » 09 November 2013, 14:48

this is actually implemented in the game, guess you haven't seen it yet.

jimmy325

Postby jimmy325 » 20 November 2013, 08:08

Complicated and varied animations aren't really needed - its still a board game.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”