Ability to change game length

Share your ideas and Suggestions about Blood Bowl 2.
ShinyJ

Ability to change game length

Postby ShinyJ » 03 November 2013, 11:15

Having found the time I have to play Blood Bowl severely recently it occurred to me that I sometimes have a little time to play, but not long enough for a 2 or 4 min game.

I appreciate 40s is an option, but most people would agree this is not 'proper' blood bowl and few people play this making it difficult to get a game.

As such I was thinking an option to change the number of turns per game in a private league may help those with less time to play. Maybe options of 4 or 6 turns per half? I realise this would change the dynamics of which teams prosper best, but people can choose their own team so I don't see this as an issue, if the league is 4 turns per half build you team to that.

Also I was wondering if the number of players on a team could be changed - again just as option in private leagues. I know Fun League had a tournament where they ran 7 players on a team, with the other 4 standing on the sidelines, so having an option to have them off the pitch altogether might help.

Just to reiterate I am a fan of 16 turns and 11 players per team, but just thought the option for shorter games, that are not 40s, might help some players who cannot find time for a full length game,

ShinyJ.

dode74

Re: Ability to change game length

Postby dode74 » 03 November 2013, 11:41

Changing the number of turns changes strategy significantly. I agree that 40secs is probably too short. There used to be 1, 2, 3 and 4 minute options, and to have those back would be great.

Gallows Bait

Postby Gallows Bait » 06 November 2013, 21:58

Changing the number of turns changes strategy significantly. I agree that 40secs is probably too short. There used to be 1, 2, 3 and 4 minute options, and to have those back would be great.
Might be nice to have league options for less turns or even less players on the pitch, for those people that like some of the variants such as BB7s. Especially if the rules interpretation is a script, you could write the script to allow Players on Pitch or No of Turns to be a variable it looks up rather than hard coded.

Heck get really smart and you could even have a range of pitch sizes.

Ixnatifual

Postby Ixnatifual » 11 November 2013, 10:13

Lots of slow teams would not be able to score in such a format.

But here's an alternative. If you've played the new Space Hulk game that was released recently - that game has a feature called "asynchronous play." It lets you make a game and take your turn. You can then log off while your opponent takes his turn, then come back a few hours later, watch his turn replayed and then make your new move.

This way it's not a problem you don't have time for a full game, as you can return later to continue it. Of course the involved teams would be locked into that game until it's finished, and there should be some kind of limit to how long you can take before making your next move (24 hours perhaps).

It's a bit like an advanced play by e-mail system. it works really well. In Space Hulk you can be running multiple games in this fashion as well as a standard game.

I don't expect we'll see, this feature, though, but that may be for the best.
"Scoring touchdowns... Good strategy? Or cheap exploit?"

Gallows Bait

Postby Gallows Bait » 11 November 2013, 21:16

Same reply to that I gave in the disconnection thread where someone asked for ability to pause - Hell no!

Seriously, allowing a game to be indefinitely postponed would be extremely abusable and would fill the server with incomplete games and leave coaches unable to use the teams that are locked into those matches. In a public league this would be a fatally stupid exercise to even consider. In an organised league where getting players from across the globe to find a suitable time to play one match in even a one or two week period can be an exercise in herding cats, it would only add yet more delays and confusion.

In addition, blood bowl cannot be asynchronous because almost any action requires the input of both players, such as choosing whether to use Block or Stand Firm on your opponent's turn when being blocked, deciding when to use Pass Block, Diving Tackle, the outcome of an injury roll or a decision to use an apothecary, you'd be playing over an incredibly long time if you could not get together and play at the same time.

I believe the closest similarity would be to the Play By Email leagues, which tended to simplify some of those decisions to streamline, but which do take away from the intent of the game rules accordingly.

Ixnatifual

Postby Ixnatifual » 13 November 2013, 11:26

Yep, some things would need to be automated for asynchronous play. It could definitely work, but I wouldn't splitting the player base across different modes, and I'm not sure players would like the automated concessions and other stuff.
"Scoring touchdowns... Good strategy? Or cheap exploit?"

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”