the Bretonians and why they are the weakest team

Share your ideas and Suggestions about Blood Bowl 2.
si1foo

the Bretonians and why they are the weakest team

Postby si1foo » 29 September 2015, 11:37

bretonians lets go over there core strengths

blitzers are faster trollslayers with catch which is awesome
linemen are cheap have fend and tie up tougher guys pretty well
they can keep the ball pretty well but have a hard time advancing

Weaknesses and why they suck

rerolls cost 70000 and 140000 in league
they have no players who can pic up the ball relatively easily
blitzers although there great are overpriced to hell when facing teams other then chaos and orcs because of dauntless they can fight those teams in the bash game and do pretty well but catch is worthless if you cant pick up the ball

bretonians blocker has 6/3/3/8 stats with wrestle but they cost 70000 and are best compared to the throwers of other teams
skaven 7/3/3/7 Sure Hands and pass for 70000
humans 6/3/3/8 sure hands and pass for 70000
dwarves runner 6/3/3/8 sure hands thick skull for 80000
high elves 6/3/4/8 safe throw pass for 90000
orcs 5/3/3/8 sure hands pass for 70000

the bretonians lack a player in that they need a thrower or give the blocker sure hands

playing bretonians versus any other team when both teams are fresh you will lose or draw 90% of the time only rare instances will you win and you will have had to pull some major bullshit on blocks and get injuries on key players quickly if you want to win because vs elf teams you will get crushed by there speed and equal strength and stronger armor on there line men also if you dont have quiet a few rerolls you wont be able to get the ball in the first place you have to roll a 3+ to get the ball which most likely wont end well so

you cant do any like elf bull* play of crushing one side of there team and pushing hard for a turn 2 touch down without having reliable throwers
you cant be as bash or defensive as orcs dwarves and chaos because you lack the strength and skills
every team has some way of picing up the ball easily with the exceptions being chaos as they gain access to mutations and lizardmen as there players are super strong

JimmyFantastic

Re: the Bretonians and why they are the weakest team

Postby JimmyFantastic » 29 September 2015, 14:07

Brets are fine at low TV, 8 Block/Wrestle goes a long way.

Rymdkejsaren

Postby Rymdkejsaren » 29 September 2015, 14:11

I only have experience of them at low TV, but so far they seem pretty useful. You do have to play them in a way that makes use of their early skills though. But I can imagine that they might lack the late game ball-handling they need to make up for their lack of bash at higher TVs.

SquirrelDude

Postby SquirrelDude » 29 September 2015, 15:12

The Bretonnian "blocker" does not need sure hands. Their job is not to carry the ball, and wrestle is a bad skill for a ball carrier to have. Blitzers have passing access on normals. The intention is clearly that one of them develops into a thrower or runner for the team.

Rymdkejsaren

Postby Rymdkejsaren » 29 September 2015, 15:25

It seems to me that it makes more sense, both thematically and mechanically if the Linemen and Blockers were to swap their starting skills.

Knights in armour should be able to Fend off attackers easily, and Wrestling seems the most likely form of combat a peasant would know.

TheSpydyr

Postby TheSpydyr » 29 September 2015, 15:48

Brets are amazing at low TV. I have played 7 games and am 6 W and 1 D and 0 losses. I love the team and have been having a lot of fun with them.
Spydyr

The RNG is not broken, you are not "the unluckiest coach in the world" and the computer does not cheat, you just suck.

Twitch
YouTube

VonBlade
Twitter: @VonBlade

Postby VonBlade » 29 September 2015, 16:00

"catch is worthless if you cant pick up the ball"

As a Dwarf player I have one guy who can reliably pick up the ball. One.
Through daring and lucky armour rolls, victory!

A5tro

Postby A5tro » 29 September 2015, 23:49

My Bretts are doing fine won 75% of my matches, I have a sure hands +1 st ball carrier, have fun getting the ball off him , If I didn't get the +st I would have taken pass or strong arm on doubles, that leaves 3 knights running around with frenzy, a doubles one with MB and PO and another with shadowing, all of which have catch to take a pass or hand off from my ball carrier when the time is right and my cage breaks through.

The blockers are there to get the ball freed up for the knights with skills like guard strip ball or tackle and to generally slow the enemy down along side the linemen.

They are a very strong early/mid TV team, not sure how they will do in the 2k range with all the claw/mb/po chaos but I can build them to cope with that hopefully.

Valcurdra

Postby Valcurdra » 30 September 2015, 13:32

Way too early to call this.

So far for me Brett's seem fine but we really don't have any long term data on this to look for.

Regarding the points you listed,

Re rolls are expensive however they have easy access to leader so 3 rerolls only costs 160k. Considering you start with a phenominal 8 players with block/wrestle, 3 rerolls is probably the maximum you will ever need.

They are mostly AG 3 so are decent at picking up the ball and with 4 catch players are better than most at retaining it.

Agree dauntless is situational however many teams you face will have a big guy or players with +str. Considering how much TV is tied up with players like this, having 4 dauntless players is a very brutal counter.

4 players with catch is certainly unusual but so far I have found that it is incredibly handy as you always seem to have at least 1 player in the right spot when you get desperate enough to throw or need to do an handoff.

Direct comparison of players is pointless as players can only be evaluated in the context of the team.

Fail to see how they lack a thrower since you have 4 players with pass access.

As for your "lose 90% of the time" argument, I have won 7/7 so far.

The problem I see is not low TV but how they will fair at higher TV, the danger is that your Knights hog all the TV. So far I have found the peasants and blockers very hard to skill up, also they are not particularly hard to kill either.

si1foo

Postby si1foo » 01 October 2015, 06:56

all i know is out of the 4 bretonian teams i have made testing builds and ammount of rerolls to start i have yet to have decent first or second game where my player actually picked up the ball

every other race has sure hands on one character or have high enough agi to make everyone pick it up easy the only races that dont are the chaos and lizardmen

i also dont see why the idea of a ballboy some little git whose job it is to pick up the ball and give it to a lord

it is easy to win the 3rd 4th and 5th if your start in the first 2 was good but bretonian blockers are worthless especially in the earily game wrestle vs most teams at level 1 does nothing because pretty much the only characters with block are blitzers and only gives you a safety net to not need to reroll if you get both down

if they had a guy who could pick up the ball reliably then they would be able to level up much easier 66% of the time isn't reliable 66% with a do over is reliable

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”