the Bretonians and why they are the weakest team

Share your ideas and Suggestions about Blood Bowl 2.
A5tro

Re: the Bretonians and why they are the weakest team

Postby A5tro » 02 October 2015, 01:12

I play them because I like the idea of them, but I totally disagree with comments about them being a bad human team or high elves without thrower etc... I win regularly with them against all types of team. They are much stronger than humans with 4x strength access players and dauntless and that is compensated for with slightly less ball skills. They cant out bash orcs but they can hold them off easily and can outmanoeuvre them with better movement and catch skills same goes for chaos.

For elves they have wrestle with easy tackle/strip ball access to get the ball and can easily outbash them. Elves rarely take sure hands so a strip ball player is essential.

the only team I have a hard time against with them is dark elves, their assassins wreck the low AV linemen and the he the armour and skills to hold off the bash and the AG and MA to move the ball around a bit. I think the OP is just not adapting his play style to the enemy enough, they need to be played dynamically depending on the match up.

Azulus

Postby Azulus » 02 October 2015, 06:30

They are much stronger than humans with 4x strength access players and dauntless and that is compensated for with slightly less ball skills.
Humans got 5 Str. access Player.. 4 Blizz and 1 Ogre. dauntless is nice but u don´t need it on 4 Players.

But it think the Point is..you eather like the Team or not. bb isn´t always about even chances. Else no one would Play Halflings etc.

si1foo

Postby si1foo » 02 October 2015, 12:30

im played a match just now where a orc team had better ball control then my current bretonian team pretty much all due to the fact both teams had mostly 3 agi players but he had a thrower and i didn't

the reason they arn't good is because of lack of options

Calistarius

Postby Calistarius » 02 October 2015, 14:11

a bret team should be unique then but there just the more specialized into nothing humans
Bretonnians ARE one of the most unique teams there is. There is no other team like them. People have just not compleatly figured out how to play them yet... give it a few more months and people will have a better understanding on what they can do.
im played a match just now where a orc team had better ball control then my current bretonian team pretty much all due to the fact both teams had mostly 3 agi players but he had a thrower and i didn't

the reason they arn't good is because of lack of options
Bretonnians do have throwers... they just do not have passing skills from the start... they can become decent throwers though. In many ways Bretonnian Blitzers are more so simmilar to Dark Elf Runners then anything else really (of course with a few minor differences).

I do feel to an extent that the name "Blitzer" is what is throwing people off a bit when it comes to Bretonnians Blitzers... people think certain things when they hear that word... Blitzer... one of those things being "strength access"... but there are other Blitzers in BB which do not have Strength access as well. Besides, Bretonnians still have strength access on the team, it's just on the Blockers intead.

So the Bretonnian team does not "lack options" really... the only option it is lacking is Agility access... and of course Mutation access as well... but both of those are true for a lot of other teams as well.

spubbbba

Postby spubbbba » 03 October 2015, 16:10

Bretonnians are a solid team at low to mid TV but suffer from the same weakness as the other teams that lack mass S/A access or players starting with AG/ST4. They get beat up by the bash teams but can't run away like the agile teams and can't do enough damage to the agile teams or keep up with them so get outscored on.

Their player start with some good skills, having 4 wrestle and 4 block is very nice, fend is useful on the fodder and good in mass amounts without having to spend 20TV and a skill pick on. But wrestle is less useful with the 2 key strength skills guard and MB. Whilst the knights don't have any great normal skills to take, the only really useful passing skill is leader for 1 guy since their re-rolls cost so much. Whilst the general skills have a lot of merely ok choices; tackle, fend, frenzy, sure hands, strip ball.

My main issue with the team is that they are a blander version of humans and don't add anything new to the game. Bretonnians are famous for their knights who can go up against all manner of horrors and come out on top. So it would have been an ideal opportunity to give them cool stuff like ST4, AV9, juggernaut or even regen. Taking a human blitzer and giving him catch, dauntless and pass access is a poor deal for the loss of strength access.
The RNG is not broken, you are not "the unluckiest coach in the world" and the computer does not cheat, you just suck.
Facebook group showing all my Bloodbowl teams.

Sephorin

Postby Sephorin » 03 October 2015, 18:50

They've been giving me a hard time when I play against them. I have no statistics or anything, but they seem to be of an appropriate strength from my limited experience.

SYKOJAK

Postby SYKOJAK » 03 October 2015, 19:37

I will say that most people are thrown from the idea, that Bret Blitzers do not have Strength access. Oh well. I feel that the Brets are more of a Rugby team.
The ultimate sin of Nuffle is for a head coach to conceed a match. Nuffle will curse your block dice with skulls and number dice with ones if he does not get his full 16 turns of dues.

si1foo

Postby si1foo » 03 October 2015, 22:30

i think the best way to define how good they are is this has anyone ever thought when they see the enemy team said ohh fuck it is bretonians i mean they literally have no good match ups dwarfs are tougher elves are faster and have better ball control chaos and lizard men hit alot harder

heck even humans are tougher then brets and have better passing play

i have never faught a bretonian team and had any incling that i wasn't gunna win or draw that game and i cant think of a game i lost to them when im not also bretonians

i would spend 100,000 on a character if he had sure hands and 3 agi if he had sure hands to start with

the difference between winning your first 3 games and losing or drawing them are huge

rinku

Postby rinku » 04 October 2015, 03:13

Are people seriously complaining that an AG3 team* where every player has access to general skills doesn't start with any Sure Hands players? Go play Lizardmen or Undead for a bit and get some perspective.

First Blitzer skill taken is Sure Hands (next is probably Leader), which helps their role as *running* ball handlers. Developing one as a passer is fine, but hardly required - normally they'll be handing off (with Catch) to each other and taking Dump Off over Pass.

I'm liking their style of play a lot, and it IS a fresh team with a lot to offer IMHO.

(*yes, well aware Linemen are AG2. But they normally form the minority and shouldn't be handling the ball except by accident. The best thing a Bret Lineman can do with the ball is hand off to the nearest Blitzer...)

ghmongo

Postby ghmongo » 04 October 2015, 14:29

"Awwwww, Brets think they have a bad time with ball handling? That's adorable."

-Every Khemri and Lizards coach

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”