Fend Needs to Be Optional

Share your ideas and Suggestions about Blood Bowl 2.
dode74

Re: Fend Needs to Be Optional

Postby dode74 » 13 September 2016, 18:40

Jimmy: Optional SS is just to choose one of the 3 "normal" squares to land on...
Problem solved.. ;) :lol: 8-)
If those 3 are all blocked you should be allowed to force a chain push, which would emulate not using SS. I think that would solve it.

MalicWanderer

Postby MalicWanderer » 13 September 2016, 21:11

Tackle probably doesn't need to be optional, for reasons stated by others, but there could be situations where both coaches disagree about whether you ought to want to knock the dodge player down, which might result in both of them opting to keep him standing. All I can think of off-hand is if keeping him standing allows a surf, but that surf requires an uphill block. Ultimately, not worth being asked if you want to tackle every time you pick the pushpow. Some might disagree tho, so make it an option in the settings if at all possible, or use similar logic for when dodge is prompted.

Pass and kick should always be optional, but use a good interface for it. Don't just pop up a dialog with "Pass" and "Don't Pass," etc. Have it say "Inaccurate Pass" and "Use Pass Reroll" or something like that. Ideally, use the same setup to make Accurate and Strong Arm optional, so the coach can choose between each of the possible pass results with whatever number they rolled. That way they can (dice allowing) choose whether a fumble or inaccurate is preferable, or even pick an inaccurate over an accurate if need be (for when you're forced to pass short of the target and hope it scatter launches onto them,) rare enough most people wouldn't want to be bothered by the popup all the time, but again could make it an option in the settings.

For kick, just let the player click on either of the two squares it could land in. If one of them is off field than a popup is probably ok in that situation ("Use Kick" or "Land Off Pitch" or something like that.) If it's off pitch regardless of kick use or not, then don't bother asking as it doesn't matter.

Fend needs to be optional vs frenzy at least. An option in the settings to make it optional elsewhere would be nice, for those times when, like tackle, coaches disagree about whether you should want to follow up or not, but not critical.

Dodge probably needs more optionality than it has now. It's tricky to come up with an exhaustive list of all scenarios that you might want to not dodge in tho, so again an option in the settings to just make it always optional would be nice.

SS needs to be optional when it can force a chain push, and maybe when it could force a surf. I can't imagine many scenarios where you'd want to opt to be surfed rather than sidestep, but they may well exist. (Mainly, if you think the ball being thrown in is more likely to favor you than the opponent.)

Grab is actually optional already in the case where not using it allows a chain push, and they even have a great interface for it (it just lets you select the chain push squares like normal, in addition to the squares you can grab into.) They do need to make it optional in the surf case as well, however.

Dirty Player should be optional in the rare scenario where your Sneaky Git DP player rolled a doubles on armor that is one short of breaking.

You need to be able to pick which player will use Diving Catch, in the scenario where more than one can. I remember it chose automatically at release and can't remember if they ever changed that. If they didn't they should, if they did then good. :)

Ideally, Diving Tackle should always prompt, but only if they can come up with a very, very clear UI for showing whether using it will cause the dodge to fail or not. Even then I'd be fine with it being an option in the settings, so your average coach who would always choose to stay standing if it won't fail the dodge isn't bothered by the prompts.

Like dodge, block has some scenarios where you wouldn't want to use it (mostly surf avoidance) so something for that would be nice too.

Darkson

Postby Darkson » 13 September 2016, 23:18

or even pick an inaccurate over an accurate if need be (for when you're forced to pass short of the target and hope it scatter launches onto them,)
Just to point out, this is against the rules - Pass can only be used if the first roll is a fumble or inaccurate (just like you can't use Catch to reroll a successful catch).
Galak 3:16 says "There is a point in time that a player really should read the rulebook."
Home of the ARBBL
TalkFantasyFootball admin - PM me if you need help.
Nope, I was talking about a 0TTD on a Blitz! using TTM.

MalicWanderer

Postby MalicWanderer » 14 September 2016, 00:30

or even pick an inaccurate over an accurate if need be (for when you're forced to pass short of the target and hope it scatter launches onto them,)
Just to point out, this is against the rules - Pass can only be used if the first roll is a fumble or inaccurate (just like you can't use Catch to reroll a successful catch).
Yes, you can't use Pass to reroll an accurate. I meant opting to Not use accurate/strong arm, in the case where that +1 or +2 would have turned an inaccurate pass into an accurate one.

Miraskadu

Postby Miraskadu » 15 September 2016, 10:58

I agree that certain skills should be optional to make the skill be played to the max.

But I see one problem with the majority of skills becoming optional and that would be turn times. The idea on every block I make my opponent gets another 15 secs as well to decide if he wants to use a skill is rather daunting.

So cyanide would need to streamline the choosing of the skills vastly, which would need some of not a lot of work imho.

dode74

Postby dode74 » 15 September 2016, 11:28

BB1 had options on many skills and you could select a default option for each skill. This streamlined the use of them considerably.

JimmyFantastic

Postby JimmyFantastic » 15 September 2016, 12:17

I agree that certain skills should be optional to make the skill be played to the max.

But I see one problem with the majority of skills becoming optional and that would be turn times. The idea on every block I make my opponent gets another 15 secs as well to decide if he wants to use a skill is rather daunting.

So cyanide would need to streamline the choosing of the skills vastly, which would need some of not a lot of work imho.
Yeah exactly. That's why I'm happy with stuff like Block, Accurate, Catch etc not being optional.

RTSD

Postby RTSD » 15 September 2016, 13:31

The idea on every block I make my opponent gets another 15 secs as well to decide if he wants to use a skill is rather daunting.
That argument is soo redundant. In BB1 (excluding a few bugged exceptions) you could turn on or off any skill with the one pop-up box and it was quicker than what we have in BB2.

Miraskadu

Postby Miraskadu » 16 September 2016, 10:35

The idea on every block I make my opponent gets another 15 secs as well to decide if he wants to use a skill is rather daunting.
That argument is soo redundant. In BB1 (excluding a few bugged exceptions) you could turn on or off any skill with the one pop-up box and it was quicker than what we have in BB2.
So you are proposing that cyanide not only changes the programming but also the UI for how blocks are handled in BB2?

Great, are volunteering to do that work or are you just rolling it up to someone?

Before you call something redundant, propose a good counter argument.

In BB1, yes there was the block box, so yes both parties could tick on/off skill. In BB2 it is not present, every skill you get a choice to make atm is done by a 15 sec timer for the deciding party. So what is more likely to happen to fit into the overall look and design of the game? That we get a random box pop up in the middle of the pitch or they stay with their design choice?

And if you have missed the part I want the skills to be optional, I just see it as a lot of work for cyanide.

RTSD

Postby RTSD » 16 September 2016, 11:43

So you are proposing that cyanide not only changes the programming but also the UI for how blocks are handled in BB2?
Great, are volunteering to do that work or are you just rolling it up to someone?
Before you call something redundant, propose a good counter argument.
In BB1, yes there was the block box, so yes both parties could tick on/off skill. In BB2 it is not present, every skill you get a choice to make atm is done by a 15 sec timer for the deciding party. So what is more likely to happen to fit into the overall look and design of the game? That we get a random box pop up in the middle of the pitch or they stay with their design choice?
And if you have missed the part I want the skills to be optional, I just see it as a lot of work for cyanide.
Yes i do propose that, the fact they made bad design decisions is no reason to give up on getting a better version of BloodBowl. I will be asking for this until the day cyanide studios ceases to be.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”