Please give us a Blood Bowl 7s Variant with Legendary Edition!

Share your ideas and Suggestions about Blood Bowl 2.
theSovereign

Please give us a Blood Bowl 7s Variant with Legendary Edition!

Postby theSovereign » 09 February 2017, 19:45

Greetings,
i'll get right to the point.

The one reason why I (and I guess a lot of other people) don't continually play a lot of Blood Bowl is due to the game length.
This not only has to with the length - but frustration is severe when your game goes awry in the first few turns, when you know
you are stuck now for 1.5 hours in a game you are sure to lose (and your players might suffer severe injuries in addition to that!).
(Even Totalbiscuit in his Blood Bowl league mentioned that the games take too long!)

In the tabletop history of Blood Bowl this problem has already been accounted for - there exist multiple variants with 7
players on the field instead of the usual 11. I like these variants so much, I even prefer them over the normal game! In a 7s tabletop
league, I can comfortably finish 3 action packed games in one evening, in the normal game it's a struggle to have more than 1.
Here are links to the variants, namely Blood Bowl 7s and Street Bowl (quick search):
Blood Bowl 7s http://www.enos.ltd.uk/Downloads/BB7s%20LRB5.pdf
Street Bowl http://www.gamingcorner.nl/rules/boardg ... owl_uk.pdf
[Important: It does not need an exact replication of all the rule changes in these rulesets! These are only to show
that this concept has been used in tabletop with success.
]

I think that a relatively bare-bones variant would be easy to implement.

All the changes that would be needed(most of these are variable changes)
1. Smaller Field - there are multiple variants, but 26x9 with 2 square wide zones.
2. Setup Rules - 1 player minimum on the LoS, 1 player maximum in wide zone.
3. Roster restriction - maximum 10 players on your roster, 7 on field,
player positional restrictions are halved (e.g. 0-6 becomes 0-3, 0-1 stays at 0-1).
3. Turns per Half - 6 turns instead of 8 (possibly 7). Honestly, this is not a critical change, 8 turn would work just fine.
4. Spiralling Expenses - probably best set to starting at 800.000, increasing for every 200.000 by 10.000.
5. Turn Timer - turn timer set to 1 minute as standard.
6.Another possible Timesaver - if shorter games are indeed a goal of the variant, a possible additional rule could be that
any TD that would leave the other team only a single turn in the next drive automatically ends the half. This would be a
disadvantage to teams that can one-turn, but setting the teams up takes usually a bit of time, would be a massive timesaver overall.

And that would be already be enough to function as a perfect (if not totally balanced) variant for players with a more restrictive
schedule! What do you think? Do you players think you'd play such a variant?
Are there any reasons this could not be implemented?

Let me know what you think!
Last edited by theSovereign on 11 February 2017, 16:40, edited 3 times in total.

Miraskadu

Re: Please give us a Blood Bowl 7s Variant with Legendary Edition!

Postby Miraskadu » 10 February 2017, 00:23

Hi,

Overall I can see that the game takes a fair bit of time investment (~60min per game).

What you see as a drawback many people, including myself enjoy about the game. It is not just a 15 minute sit down and click about game (slightly cynical here).

A game version with 7 players sounds interesting, the problem with that is it will turn it into a completely new game. And my guess is that GW will not be happy about that. And skimming over the linked rules they are a complete overhaul of the bloodbowl rules, and the only thing left in common is the name.

So while the idea seems entertaining, I don't think it would be feasible as an expansion for sure.

If you look for a quicker version of the game have a look at Guild Ball for table top.

theSovereign

Postby theSovereign » 10 February 2017, 07:35

Thank you for your input.

I understand your argument, but I do not wish to alter the base game. I have no tabletop needs in this regard -
since I can play and played a bunch of Blood Bowl 7s, so I can speak from experience about the differences to the base game.
So if you want I could write more about the different tendencies, but it certainly isn't a completely different game!

I just suggest that, IF cyanide wishes to increase the league options that are available to us, which they
apparently do with the Legendary Edition, that this would be one of the easiest options to implement that
could actually be very popular if people get to try it out. And if it is, it could have an effect on player numbers.

Miraskadu

Postby Miraskadu » 10 February 2017, 11:30

No worries,

I know you don't want to change the base game.

But I read through the PDF you posted.

Different Kick Off table, different skilling rules, different team builds, different buy rules. So the only thing that seems to stay the same is the rules for on pitch plays apart from injuries, nurgle rots and raising a zombie, to name a few.

So this would need to all be reprogrammed. In the end of the day result in pretty much in a new game.

I wouldn't mind to see that as maybe a play option.

But my guess is, that it would be a ton of programming work. So I wouldn't hold my breath for too long.

theSovereign

Postby theSovereign » 10 February 2017, 12:56

With posting the rulesets I did not intend to argue for an exact implementation of one of these rulesets. I only wanted to show that
this is something that has been done before in the tabletop world and was quite popular. Just to show that it was not an idea that I 'just came up with'.

But as I have written in the first post you don't need nearly as many rule changes to make it work. I wrote all the changes needed in the first post - and most of those are just change of some variables (except the field size, which would need some slight graphical adjustment). (I will make those fat and add spiralling expenses, which I forgot).

seeyouowls

Postby seeyouowls » 11 February 2017, 12:13

I definately think its a great idea to add a format that takes less time per game, and since this is already there, maybe some sort of modified version could be implemented.

Great Suggestion

SirIronclad
Twitter: @SirIronclad

Postby SirIronclad » 11 February 2017, 12:17

Having a much quicker game mode that's easily accessible would be a huge boon for the game. I wouldn't even mind seeing something like this as the normal mode for COL Open Ladder.

dode74

Postby dode74 » 11 February 2017, 12:58

This would be a nice addition for a "quick" game mode.

theSovereign

Postby theSovereign » 11 February 2017, 13:10

Edit: Woops, Double-post.

theSovereign

Postby theSovereign » 12 February 2017, 19:08

As dode74 wrote before me, I would be very for an inclusion of a 'Speed Mode' and an official league using it. In a multiplayer game like this, large custom leagues often do not survive :(

I wanted to takes this opportunity to write a bit about how playing a 7s variant is different, compared to the base game.

1. Teams rise significantly faster in skill grade, but also fall harder when casualties finally happen.

2. You may have less opportunities for skill builds within YOUR team, but at the same it seemed, due to the very limited space on your team, every single player build is a big price to pay - and teams as a whole end up almost more different from each other than in the base game.

3. Caging is still a possible and used tactic, but it requires quite a bit more planning to achieve it consistently and still move up the field.

4. It is general harder to play a very safe (boring?) offense, usually at some point you have to take risks.

5. Rerolls should be more restricted than in the base game. If rerolls are available for the same price as normal, together with the reduced
number of actions (and possibly turns), some teams for example (eg elves) are almost immune to turnovers. I'm not a fan of removing
every all rerolls entirely (as some variants did), because it removes a very big part in decision-making and core of the game.

6. It is easier to achieve building a team with weird/unusua/specific skill combinations, due to the reduced number of players.

7. A game on tabletop took us usually about 45 minutes, with beginner players in the group. In the video game, together with a 1 minute time limit, I can't imagine it taking more than 30 minutes... As mentioned before, rampant conceding shouldn't be as much of a problem in a game that takes 30 min,

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”