Improvements to the matchmaking

Share your ideas and Suggestions about Blood Bowl 2.
Blobskillz

Improvements to the matchmaking

Postby Blobskillz » 19 February 2017, 00:16

I'd like to suggest a change to the matchmaking system that would reduce the amount of matches that get played with huge TV differences.

I understand that the player pool for bb2 outside of peak times can be limited so I see a reason behind the matchmaking limt being +-500 TV, while I do think 500 TV difference is too much to make up for with inducements.

The change I would like to suggest, is to begin the matchmaking cycle in lower TV difference ranges and then, if for example no matching player was found after the initial 5min wait time, increase the TV range in that a player is looked for.

So for example:

first 5min : TV difference +-100
second 5min: +-150
third 5min: +-200

and so on

what this achieves is it reduces the number of games played with big TV differences, while also giving the matchmaking system more time to find fitting matches instead of forcing a game after 5min.

This change would be a huge help to the champions ladder where getting a matchup with huge TV differences can be the end of a team that was otherwise on its way to become succesful.

Darkson

Re: Improvements to the matchmaking

Postby Darkson » 19 February 2017, 10:25

And what about people that just want a game within the first 5 mins?

Would also allow coaches to "hide" their teams from potential high TV games. Only want to play against differences of 100-200TV? Ok, cancel your spin then restart.
Galak 3:16 says "There is a point in time that a player really should read the rulebook."
Home of the ARBBL
TalkFantasyFootball admin - PM me if you need help.
Nope, I was talking about a 0TTD on a Blitz! using TTM.

Blobskillz

Postby Blobskillz » 19 February 2017, 11:45

If you are in a hurry and need to get a game after the first 5min then I am not sure why you would commit to a blood bowl match that takes often upwards of 90min especially in champ ladder where turn times are longer and conceding is punished.

Darkson

Postby Darkson » 19 February 2017, 12:15

Did I say "in a hurry"? Perhaps someone doesn't want to wait 10/15/20+ mins to get a "balanced" game.

(And you've not shown that high-TV difference games are any more unbalanced than lw-TV difference games - not saying they are, not saying they're not, but you haven't shown any data to back up either argument.)

And your suggestion will increase high-TV differences in games in low-traffic times.

4 teams all start spinning in the same window:
Team A: 1000
Team B: 1110
Team C: 1200
Team D: 1400

I don't know the exact ranking system it currently uses, but it will match all 4 players after 5 minutes, ideally A vs B and C vs D, but it could well be A vs D and B vs C, but all 4 players will get a game after 5 minutes.
Using your system, B vs C will get matched in the first 5 minutes, then A and D have to sit twiddling their thumbs while the system goes through ever increasing TV differences, eventually (35 minutes, if neither gets bored!) matching A and D.

Your suggestion might work for high-traffic times, but then you're either crapping on players in low-traffic times OR you need to have different matching criteria for high/low traffic, and we can't expect Cyanide to be able to program a system to do that correctly.
Galak 3:16 says "There is a point in time that a player really should read the rulebook."
Home of the ARBBL
TalkFantasyFootball admin - PM me if you need help.
Nope, I was talking about a 0TTD on a Blitz! using TTM.

dode74

Postby dode74 » 19 February 2017, 12:21

Restricting TV differences will either reduce the number of games played or increase waiting times. Neither is a desirable result.

VoodooMike

Postby VoodooMike » 19 February 2017, 14:11

This change would be a huge help to the champions ladder where getting a matchup with huge TV differences can be the end of a team that was otherwise on its way to become succesful.
No, actually, like Darkson pointed out it would make things worse unless it was a high traffic time... and if it was, the existing matchmaking would already give you a good matching. The sub-optimal matches happen during low traffic times simply because there isn't a better match to be had.
(And you've not shown that high-TV difference games are any more unbalanced than lw-TV difference games - not saying they are, not saying they're not, but you haven't shown any data to back up either argument.)
Unless the low TV team has a coach with significantly more skill than the high TV team, the higher TV team is at an advantage. The data bears out that the higher the TV difference, the greater the likelihood that the higher TV team will win.

For games that actually get completed (not ending in concession) the relationship between TV difference and match win is almost completely linear... BUT, the differences in win rate, in spite of being statistically significant, are far less practically significant. The win rate at -500 is around 41% (meaning +500 is 59%). That's hardly anything to get worked up about.
Friendly Reminder: Correlation does not equal Causation - tattoo it on the inside of your eyelids if it'll help.

SquirrelDude

Postby SquirrelDude » 19 February 2017, 15:56

Restricting TV differences will either reduce the number of games played or increase waiting times. Neither is a desirable result.
I desire to not play 1500 chaos with clawpomb as rookie dwarves or orcs or humans even if that means larger wait times.

VoodooMike

Postby VoodooMike » 19 February 2017, 17:07

I desire to not play 1500 chaos with clawpomb as rookie dwarves or orcs or humans even if that means larger wait times.
I desire a ferrari and a handjob from a supermodel. I'm ok with longer wait times if I get those things, too.

Neither of us can really justify our wants as being somehow necessary to BB2, though.
Friendly Reminder: Correlation does not equal Causation - tattoo it on the inside of your eyelids if it'll help.

JimmyFantastic

Postby JimmyFantastic » 19 February 2017, 18:59

I desire a ferrari and a handjob from a supermodel. I'm ok with longer wait times if I get those things, too.

Neither of us can really justify our wants as being somehow necessary to BB2, though.
a) This is what we, the players, are up against.
and b) Why does he only want a handjob????

VoodooMike

Postby VoodooMike » 19 February 2017, 19:09

a) This is what we, the players, are up against.
It's not an obstacle to anything worthwhile... again, the far reaches of the TV difference limit only amount to about 9% difference in win rates. That's less than half the target set out by the BBRC.. and those games are few and far between, with the majority of games happening at 250 or less difference.
b) Why does he only want a handjob????
Because handjobs are inherently more humorous than other sex acts, making them superior for sarcasm.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”