Improvements to the matchmaking

Share your ideas and Suggestions about Blood Bowl 2.
vgpurist
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/vgpurist/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/vgpurist

Re: Improvements to the matchmaking

Postby vgpurist » 19 February 2017, 21:42

I think the real answer is.... get more of your friends to play. By getting more people to play you'll be able to get a match not only faster but also with teams around the same TVs.
VG Purist

YouTube
Twitch

Kurgol

Postby Kurgol » 20 February 2017, 09:14

why not have a dial when you spin

<------------------1min------------2min------------3min------------5min------------10min
Low Wait Times <------[high tv difference]----|-------[low tv difference]--------> High wait times

and actually let the players decide how much variance they want and how long they want to wait?
Twitch: TheKurgol
YouTube: Kurgol

VoodooMike

Postby VoodooMike » 20 February 2017, 10:07

I think the real answer is.... get more of your friends to play. By getting more people to play you'll be able to get a match not only faster but also with teams around the same TVs.
Yeah, good luck with that. Tell all your friends to come play matches you yourself don't enjoy in the hopes that a "we-don't-enjoy-it" pyramid scheme will result in a better experience someday...

If you have a bunch of friends willing to play BB online then the real answer is to play in a private league with them and not worry about the state of COL or CCL.
and actually let the players decide how much variance they want and how long they want to wait?
Because you wouldn't simply be choosing for yourself - you'd be choosing for the other people queued to play, too. It would also make it very easy for the folks who want to farm matches with their buddies (or their second accounts) to ensure they got the match they were after, but making the possible TV difference as narrow as possible while keeping their TVs similar.

The question is, again, what the point of narrowing TV ranges is? Based on the numbers from COL the idea that the TV differences are "too big" is all in people's heads. The difference in outcomes is pretty minor. Narrowing the acceptable ranges has a guaranteed negative effect on wait times and on private leagues (assuming they do it the way they've been doing things) while having no guaranteed positive effect... and addressing no real problem.
Friendly Reminder: Correlation does not equal Causation - tattoo it on the inside of your eyelids if it'll help.

vgpurist

Postby vgpurist » 20 February 2017, 15:09

Yeah, good luck with that. Tell all your friends to come play matches you yourself don't enjoy in the hopes that a "we-don't-enjoy-it" pyramid scheme will result in a better experience someday...

If you have a bunch of friends willing to play BB online then the real answer is to play in a private league with them and not worry about the state of COL or CCL.
Precisely! Even if you do get them to only play in the private league, they may end up liking the game so much and want to play more and end up in the ladder games. Even if you get just 1 person into the game out of 10, that's still one extra person playing in the ladder.
VG Purist

YouTube
Twitch

VoodooMike

Postby VoodooMike » 24 February 2017, 13:19

Precisely! Even if you do get them to only play in the private league, they may end up liking the game so much and want to play more and end up in the ladder games. Even if you get just 1 person into the game out of 10, that's still one extra person playing in the ladder.
You must have some very lonely friends if you think people go from private leagues -> public leagues in online Blood Bowl. Classically it has been that people start in public leagues, learn to hate them, and then find a home in a private league... never looking back.

It's not "the real answer".. it's not even a serious idea. Even if you can't understand why that is you should be able to wrap your head around the fact that anyone who has enjoyed the game enough to recommend it to anyone will have already done so... it's not like it doesn't occur to them. That means the only "recruit your friends" options remaining are people who wouldn't recommend the game normally lying to people around them in a pathetic attempt to bolster the game population.

The "real answer" is to make the game into something that better retains users, and which more users would recommend without any urging. That's take compromise, and the BB community is uncompromising.. they want improvement but on their own unwavering terms.. so it's a pipe dream.
Friendly Reminder: Correlation does not equal Causation - tattoo it on the inside of your eyelids if it'll help.

vgpurist

Postby vgpurist » 25 February 2017, 01:12

You must have some very lonely friends if you think people go from private leagues -> public leagues in online Blood Bowl. Classically it has been that people start in public leagues, learn to hate them, and then find a home in a private league... never looking back.

It's not "the real answer".. it's not even a serious idea. Even if you can't understand why that is you should be able to wrap your head around the fact that anyone who has enjoyed the game enough to recommend it to anyone will have already done so... it's not like it doesn't occur to them. That means the only "recruit your friends" options remaining are people who wouldn't recommend the game normally lying to people around them in a pathetic attempt to bolster the game population.

The "real answer" is to make the game into something that better retains users, and which more users would recommend without any urging. That's take compromise, and the BB community is uncompromising.. they want improvement but on their own unwavering terms.. so it's a pipe dream.
I know many guys from my own league not only plays in private league but also has joined in on the madness that is the Champions Ladder. You're right that classically it has been the other way around, but that's what the Champions Ladder is trying to do isn't it? Make it a better place for you and and for me and the entire human race?
VG Purist

YouTube
Twitch

VoodooMike

Postby VoodooMike » 25 February 2017, 01:43

...but that's what the Champions Ladder is trying to do isn't it? Make it a better place for you and and for me and the entire human race?
...by weeding out the undesirables? The CCL eugenics project is certainly one vision of an improved BB future, but not the sort of "final solution" I think will make BB better for the entire human race, no.

vgpurist

Postby vgpurist » 26 February 2017, 21:32

I think I'm beginning to understand you VoodooMike :D :D
VG Purist

YouTube
Twitch

Kurgol

Postby Kurgol » 10 June 2017, 21:04

The question is, again, what the point of narrowing TV ranges is?
For me the answer to this question is fun, or rather the lack of it playing at high tv difference.
Twitch: TheKurgol
YouTube: Kurgol

VoodooMike

Postby VoodooMike » 10 June 2017, 21:38

For me the answer to this question is fun, or rather the lack of it playing at high tv difference.
"Fun" is a subjective concept... what makes it "not fun" to you? If it's your belief that you can't win, then the problem is that belief. If the problem is that you're playing at a disadvantage... well... that's true, but not an insurmountable disadvantage.

If you narrow the acceptable ranges then you're just replacing those games with NO GAMES... which I think we can say is a non-subjective situation in which people are not having fun.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”