Accelerated Turn Timer for Inactivity

Share your ideas and Suggestions about Blood Bowl 2.
Niessuh

Re: Accelerated Turn Timer for Inactivity

Postby Niessuh » 02 March 2017, 10:53

People abandons a game because they do not want to reach the concession limit, the proof is that AFK has become a problem recently within the champion leader competition, people just concede at the open league.

They do not care about "annoying the other player" or "giving them a concession victory without any effort". In tournaments where people do not know each other and probably will not meet again. these are side effects at most.

Note that this solution is also desirable for the AFK guy... He would be able to play again sooner.
Last edited by Niessuh on 02 March 2017, 10:56, edited 2 times in total.

Niessuh

Postby Niessuh » 02 March 2017, 10:54

DP

Valcurdra

Postby Valcurdra » 03 March 2017, 07:33

The percentage of gamers in the overal population, willing to use unofficial mods on a game is pretty low. The percentage willing to do so just to grief is presumably lower.
How many people do you think it takes before the probability of two of them having the same birthday reaches the "more likely than not" point? It doesn't take large percentages to have a significant effect.

Do keep in mind, as well, that people don't do this solely to grief, they do it for personal advantage - to both avoid accruing concessions and to get a shot at annoying the other player into giving them a concession victory without any effort.

Given the frequency with which AFKing is being reported, it's obviously not that isolated and infrequent a behaviour... it might represent a low percentage of games (though.. it doesn't, depending on your definition of low percentage) but it's frequent enough that people are noticing.
Not to mention that most people would have 0 clue how to program this.
It only takes one.
What % of games are reported as afk? Do you know? Or are you just talking generally.

EastCoast

Postby EastCoast » 03 March 2017, 14:08

Not to mention that most people would have 0 clue how to program this.
Well it doesn't exactly have the nice interface or error handling that Mike would design, but I think I got this one solved:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3uoh15wn6s

VoodooMike

Postby VoodooMike » 07 March 2017, 22:29

People abandons a game because they do not want to reach the concession limit, the proof is that AFK has become a problem recently within the champion leader competition, people just concede at the open league.
To be fair, while people certainly do use concession more than AFKing in COL, the people in CCL who have been the most prolific offenders also seem to have done it in COL previously.

Those are probably the folks who started the trend, and other wonderful folks picked it up and made it their own.
Note that this solution is also desirable for the AFK guy... He would be able to play again sooner.
True enough.. I don't think that's necessarily a reason not to come up with a system to speed up AFKing games, I just think the solution should be smarter than monitoring keypresses.

If people want to AFK and it doesn't inconvenience people then hey, let 'em lose. I'm not sure any amount of speeding things up will completely remove the inconvenience...
What % of games are reported as afk? Do you know? Or are you just talking generally.
I do not know what people report, no. It appears to be the most common complaint people are posting these days, and looking at the data and using the fields that cover actions taken during the match, we can estimate occurrence rates, at least for the most abusive instances.
Well it doesn't exactly have the nice interface or error handling that Mike would design, but I think I got this one solved
The sad part is, long ago, people did do things like that... wedge a butter knife into the keyboard to keep something pressed or the like. Thankfully now there are a myriad of programs such as AutoHotKey that will do it all for you, and are pretty simple to work with even as a non-programmer.
Friendly Reminder: Correlation does not equal Causation - tattoo it on the inside of your eyelids if it'll help.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”