Blood Bowl New Wave Team Edition

This is the zone for the ones who prefer to play against the machine.

Blood Bowl New Wave Team Edition

Postby Stw402 » 25 November 2012, 20:51

Welcome the latest version of New Wave, this version is the Team edition and the most complete version of the mod.

For people who have given me feedback, I've listened to the comments and adjusted the database when necessary, also the tweaks to the AI do seem to work better in this version.

Before I show what is in this mod, this version is harder than the other versions of new wave and will test your skill level, if your new player I strongly recommend playing the game with the Cyanide database before playing the campaign with the New Wave Database and all it's tweaks.

So what do you get in this pack:-

AI TWEAKS

This is still under construction, but the AI that comes with the mod is perhaps one of the best AI I've made, In general the AI will make teams be optimized for the New Wave database, you can use the AI as standalone mod but I do not recommend this.
List of changes to the AI:-
Added a Intelligent Path Find to the Ai
Added Cool Violent and Pass and run to the Underworld, Chaos Dwarf and Khorne team
Made adjustment to the order time and probability modifier

I gave the Ai some major tweaking, it's still not perfect and still make silly errors, but on the plus side the Ai does try to score, teams like the wood elfs will pass the ball between themselves even when not in a scoring position. In play testing this AI I found humans, Undead and all the running teams play better, the teams that seem a little weaker using this AI, are teams like the goblins, halflings but that might be just me playing a Chaos team while testing. 8-)

Death bowl Campaign

The Campaign will test your ability, the gloves are off with the campaign game your playing against 514 teams, they range from the simple 1000 rated Goblin side all the way upto the top, a 4000 tv rated dark elf side.

The campaign works like this, in period 1 of each season you will play in the Death Bowl in a 128 Team Knock out, this contest will test you to the extreme, I've yet to win it myself :oops: . So when you start the campaign this will be the first contest, so when you have lost this and you will :evil: , the campaign will return to some normality. You will play in the regular cups against similar TV rated teams. Just a warning here, because the Death Bowl features so many teams the game will update the database after the first game this may take a minute to update. Also be aware you will be fighting teams of a much higher TV rating in the Death bowl, this is not a bug, but by design.

Main Database

There are a number of changes to the World Cup Database:-
Death bowl Campaign Added
The database contains 7173 players
All the official Star players added
AI Start up Tactics added 26 in total
AI players with leap exchange the skill, due to the AI not using this skill
Updated the AI controlled skill selection
514 Team in the Database
141 Star Players
New Sponsors
New Sponsor objectives

NEW TEAMS

I've tried to include teams to test all levels of play, from a simple goblin team upto the most dangerous Dark Elf Teams.
I've updated some of the players with unspent SPP, what this means when you start a new campaign the AI will spend the points on new skills, making many of the teams diffrent each time you play the campaign.

Logos
The pack also contains many new logos to be used with the new wave teams

EXTRAS

New Wave Extra Stadiums DB

New wave does not contain any extra Stadiums, but I've included a extra Database file that was updated to make it compatible with BBLE conversion mod, you can find this mod here:-

http://www.moddb.com/mods/bble-conversion-mod

Setup
Download both mods
Install them both to a new folder on your desk top
Do not use the installer
Inside the folder find the file that says Level and copy and paste folders Level_11to Level_16 to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Blood Bowl Chaos Edition\Data\3d\Level
DO NOT COPY AND PASTE FOLDER 10, you will lose your Amazon Stadium.
Next go back to your desktop rename folder Level_10 to Level_17, delete the file inside the folder and replace with the Level_17 file inside the New Wave Extra Stadiums DB
Last but not least place the World cup database here:-
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Blood Bowl Chaos Edition\Data\DB

I've got nothing to do with making them Stadium and all credits to the designer of that mod should be given to him, i just wanted to make them compatible so they can be enjoyed while using New Wave.

Download

http://www.mediafire.com/?tq54g1197mgs911

When the game updates it will replace the World Cup data file and you will need to replace the World Cup data file with the New Wave World Cup Data file to continue using the New Wave extra teams.
Should anything new be added to the data, for example cyanide add a new star player, then the New Wave Mod will be updated to include this extra data, so check back to this thread to get the update.

Will you keep updating this mod until everybody is sick of it?

To answer that question, No, I'm having a break from updates and number crunching, I will be adding a new wave version of the Chaos Pact mod and adding some break the rules campaign teams, just for fun. But them updates wont be until I get a little free time, probable next month.

THE END

Last edited by Stw402 on 01 December 2012, 15:11, edited 1 time in total.
Stw402

Re: Blood Bowl New Wave Team Edition

Postby soapmode » 25 November 2012, 20:57

Fantastic work. I'll be checking this out later today.
soapmode

Postby Orcacide » 25 November 2012, 21:12

Stw402 wrote:his contest will test you to the extreme, I've yet to win it myself

I accept your challenge.
Orcacide

Postby Stw402 » 26 November 2012, 23:40

I accept your challenge.

How did you do?
Stw402

Postby Fen_ » 27 November 2012, 00:57

Can't wait to play it! Thanks for all your work on this awesome mod!
Fen_

Postby Orcacide » 27 November 2012, 01:13

Stw402 wrote:
I accept your challenge.

How did you do?

Still slogging through it. Rookie Chaos team, 4-0 so far. Crashed on game 5 (Max Spleenripper was on the ground for a TD, and it wouldn't let me place him on the field, he didn't appear anywhere, then just popped up on my end zone line, I suspect that was related to the crash). My next (and match it crashed on) is the Blue Dragons. 1 Krox, 1 Saurus, 14 skinks. I should be okay for that.

After that, it gets rough though. There's several 2k teams still in the running, and I'm sitting at about 1200 TV, and due to MVP non random-ness (don't get all voodoo mike on me, I'm just saying 2 players have hogged them all), I have very few skills.
Orcacide

Postby Orcacide » 27 November 2012, 04:02

Beat it, first try.

I think I'm gonna have to stop 2-1 grinding against the AI. It's not fair for it.
Attachments
2012-11-26_00003.jpg
2012-11-26_00003.jpg (235.75 KiB) Viewed 3324 times
Orcacide

Postby Monstrum » 28 November 2012, 08:27

this looks amazing, is the AI really fixed? it's really a challenge?
DISCLAIMER: Please keep in mind that any general advice based on my experience, although not necessarily wrong is probabably overemphasised to the point of parody.
Monstrum

Postby Stw402 » 28 November 2012, 13:42

Beat it, first try.

I think I'm gonna have to stop 2-1 grinding against the AI. It's not fair for it.

Congratulations, please don't tell me you wont it even harder now :lol: .

How did you find the challenge?
Do you think, it going in the right direction to give you a one player challenge, it's me just looking for some feedback of any improvements.

this looks amazing, is the AI really fixed? it's really a challenge?

It's more of challenge, I've lost games against this version which is a pretty new experience.
The AI is not perfect,, but with the support of the main database it does help the AI a lot, in playing better.
Stw402

Postby Orcacide » 28 November 2012, 14:49

Monstrum wrote:this looks amazing, is the AI really fixed? it's really a challenge?

No.

Congratulations, please don't tell me you wont it even harder now :lol: .

How did you find the challenge?
Do you think, it going in the right direction to give you a one player challenge, it's me just looking for some feedback of any improvements.

Well, I'd always want it harder as long as the computer is playing within the realms of legal actions, but I'd never ask you to do that, that's not your responsibility. Anything you provide would be happily consumed, but I'd certainly never pester you for it in any way.

To be perfectly honest, I don't see much change to it. The AI is still dumb, it's just dumb in different ways. I have played quite a few different campaigns with different teams on different difficulty levels, and I can say without a doubt that "Hard" is still the easiest setting, and "Easy" and "Medium" seem to give a little bit more challenge.

For example, if I kick the ball close to the LOS, someone will grab the ball and run backwards. If I can put 2 TZ's on a thrower, and the AI can't get rid of one of them, they are very unlikely to dodge away. This is in stark contrast to me putting 2 TZ's on a catcher, in which the AI has zero problems throwing to that player and will dodge away every time (usually succeeding -- this is how the majority of the TD's against me are scored). The AI also doesn't understand "Move first, roll dice later," and that's going to be the biggest thing for it. Very often the AI's first action is a blitz, involving a dodge through tackle zones or a 1d or -2d. There's not a high probability of success on any of those, and the target is very random. I have also seen the AI leave players in a wide zone for an entire drive, which I believe is new behavior, I don't recall seeing that before. It will also leave players on the ground when it has no reason to (ie : player isn't up against the sideline, and not being marked). This is all very minor stuff, but when you add it all up, it means you're often playing 11 on 7, and that's even if they had a full line to begin with.

The only teams who score on me are agility/skaven teams, and that's quite simply just because of the ridiculous amount of ground they can cover, the dodges they can make and ball handling that they can do. They never win, because quite simply I just bash them to pieces, and I know better than to turn the ball over. I just 2-1 (or, more often 2-0 grind them, but luck happens to everyone) grind them down after their turn 2 score. I haven't had an AI team beat me since your 2k Amazon team with a 1020 TV beat my 1200 Skaven team a couple weeks ago, but you already know about that, and I don't count that as a loss since that's just beyond ridiculous. If I had a wizard and Morg N Thorg for that game, I would have slaughtered them, and there's no doubt in my mind on that one.

I certainly don't want to dissuade you from doing what you do, because you're one of the few people around with the time and knowledge to be doing this kind of stuff, and I appreciate it. If it's giving you more of a challenge and you're happy with it, that's absolutely all that matters, so don't feel you have to cater to my needs. I'm extremely good at strategy games and don't expect anything other than an easy win when I go into this, so it's not like your mod has been a disappointment. It's been an interesting change of pace, so thanks for that.
Orcacide

Next

Return to You vs AI