Blood Bowl New Wave Team Edition

This is the zone for the ones who prefer to play against the machine.
Dietzen

Re: Blood Bowl New Wave Team Edition

Postby Dietzen » 01 December 2012, 16:54

AI Experiment Conclusion

Having reset all the totals on the order timer to zero and removed several limits from the AI I went on to load in the game and the AI played just like it did, my conclusion is that the AI file does very little to improve or help the computer in decision making, so therefore it a pointless waste of time to make any adjustments to this file. I'm pretty sure back in the past the AI file did adjust how the AI would act, but currently it seems to make no difference what you change in the totals to in this file. The marginal improvements your currently seeing with the AI are from database, making player act the way they should. So unless cyanide make the adjustments themselves, we currently stuck with a sub-par AI.
Could you tell me how to add exp to players? So that I can lvl them up once entering the game?
As is right now, I can add exp but can't figure out how to make skill ups rdy when I enter the game. It just says 51 exp and lvl 4, but no skill up rdy.
Have you tried playing one game, the SPP will be ready spend after you have played one game, that's the fast and easy way of doing that, the other way is slightly more in depth, I will make a tutorial on how to add teams to your database, I will post you a link later.

So would it be sufficient to simply add the experience, no other thing and after one game, I would be able to spend it?

Stw402

Postby Stw402 » 01 December 2012, 17:49

Yes just play one game, for more detailed way of adding teams you could try this link

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2304

You can use this method to edit teams and add new teams to database, if you follow that guide, it will give you a good understanding of how to edit the teams, even teams in saved game files.

Monstrum

Postby Monstrum » 07 December 2012, 12:25

some feedback from me, i didn't have time for more than 3 games (which i had to pause and re-play 5-6 times but anyways) but AI do far seems impressible. i actually lost a game vs the AI which hasn't happened in years- granted it was rookie nurgle vs a very experienced skaven side but still. the AI will now absolutely target your ball carrier which is HUGE. also when you place someone in contact they will actually do their best to blitz them away which is also a big improvement. good selection of skills on the AI teams, wrestle+fend on the linerats is very annoying.

i need to play a few more games, but so far i'm impressed
DISCLAIMER: General advice based on my experience is always correct.

Orcacide

Postby Orcacide » 07 December 2012, 14:49

some feedback from me, i didn't have time for more than 3 games (which i had to pause and re-play 5-6 times but anyways) but AI do far seems impressible. i actually lost a game vs the AI which hasn't happened in years- granted it was rookie nurgle vs a very experienced skaven side but still. the AI will now absolutely target your ball carrier which is HUGE. also when you place someone in contact they will actually do their best to blitz them away which is also a big improvement. good selection of skills on the AI teams, wrestle+fend on the linerats is very annoying.

i need to play a few more games, but so far i'm impressed
I don't know what game you've been playing, but the AI has done that since I started playing, modded or not. And the mod doesn't change AI behavior at all.

Master N

Postby Master N » 07 December 2012, 17:27

I don't know what game you've been playing, but the AI has done that since I started playing, modded or not. And the mod doesn't change AI behavior at all.
I wanted to play a few games before I say anything about this mod but I simply had to reply to your statement Orc.

I have installed the core files, new logos, new images and new AI modifications and I have played some 10 matches with the orcs, 12 with Gobbos (Go GREENSKINZ!!! :D ), and a couple with the underworld. It's worth saying that I am a long-time BB player, been playing the board game for years and started the PC one 2 years ago since LE and I have CE. And I play on Medium.

This mod does some nice changes to the AI, it really does! New starting formations for starters make the game more interesting, the AI teams actually evolve during the campaign and spend their SPP on skills that makes them better, one more thing I have noticed the AI has stopped putting his player who has the ball in front of my players he actually takes care of him. So all in all the AI changes do work and they do work well. I'll be reviewing this mod when I have tested it more extensively.

Orcacide

Postby Orcacide » 07 December 2012, 18:01

Placebo effect. The only thing that's different is the starting formations, which don't always work out to be better (no dwarves in wide zones, for example, every elf on the line on defense, etc).

Other than that, the AI is just as dumb with the modifications. The guy making the mod just said it a few posts up. You want the AI to be better, so you're convincing yourself it is. Trust me, it's still just as easy to beat.

Master N

Postby Master N » 08 December 2012, 00:21

Placebo effect. The only thing that's different is the starting formations, which don't always work out to be better (no dwarves in wide zones, for example, every elf on the line on defense, etc).

Other than that, the AI is just as dumb with the modifications. The guy making the mod just said it a few posts up. You want the AI to be better, so you're convincing yourself it is. Trust me, it's still just as easy to beat.
What ever dude. Not going to repeat my self.

Monstrum

Postby Monstrum » 08 December 2012, 12:52

orcaside you're absolutely wrong. before i've had a lone ball carrier in blitzing range by the AI, and it would happily blitz someone else instead. it will try to swarm your cage and ruthlessly take down the carrier all the time. the defence is much improved.
DISCLAIMER: General advice based on my experience is always correct.

Orcacide

Postby Orcacide » 08 December 2012, 18:20

What ever dude. Not going to repeat my self.
You don't have to repeat yourself, I read what you said, and it's just wrong. You've played 10 matches with the new AI with GOBLINS. I've played 583 hours in Legendary Edition and 101 hours in Chaos Edition, almost all of that is against the AI. I know the AI better than it knows itself. Here's my stats against the "New" modded AI.

Chaos Dwarves 21-0-1

Chaos (Death Bowl campaign) 7-0-0

Skaven 5-1-0 (loss came to a 1700 TV amazon team who had a TV of 1010, glitch in the matrix).

Underworld 6-1-0

Orcs 20-0-0

I've played 62 games vs this new modded AI, and it's more of the same old song.

What does that mean? That the AI is improved, but it's not improved enough to beat me? And I started playing this game in late 2011 too, so I'm no "long time player" here. I'll tell you what it means. WIth T3 teams, you've ALWAYS had the chance to lose (goblins, underworld, etc). You could still win, but losing is a distinct possibility when most of your team is stunty, it's just the way it goes. And the odd agility/fast team has ALWAYS had a chance to pull out a win on you, no matter what team you're playing. All it takes is a couple of 2+ rolls in order to turn any type of failure into a score with them.

I don't know if you guys just have this idea that the AI was complete trash before and built it up in your minds to the point where a small child could have beaten the AI with no knowledge of the game before, but that's quite simply not the case. There were always certain sets of conditions that would allow the AI to win or draw with you, and that's ALL that you guys have described here. Until you tell me "Man, I just had an AI Chaos team 2-1 grind me, injured 7 of my players, there was nothing I could do," the AI is the same as it's always been.

And why do you guys conveniently ignore the most important post in this thread?
AI Experiment Conclusion

Having reset all the totals on the order timer to zero and removed several limits from the AI I went on to load in the game and the AI played just like it did, my conclusion is that the AI file does very little to improve or help the computer in decision making, so therefore it a pointless waste of time to make any adjustments to this file. I'm pretty sure back in the past the AI file did adjust how the AI would act, but currently it seems to make no difference what you change in the totals to in this file. The marginal improvements your currently seeing with the AI are from database, making player act the way they should. So unless cyanide make the adjustments themselves, we currently stuck with a sub-par AI.
If you guys want to think different formations are somehow making you lose, go right ahead. But they're not.

Stw402

Postby Stw402 » 09 December 2012, 03:24

Orcacide you have some good stats, I don't think I'm far behind you, I've lost a few game against speed teams and one game against a undead team that beat me into pulp, nothing I could do about that, I've been using a underworld team.
I've been enjoying the games far more using this mod, I can understand what your saying about the AI, but I'm trying to think less about that and just enjoy the game.

The only thing I can add to what I said about the AI, is if you remove the AI file the game will crash, so the game most use something from that AI file, thou the order timer seems to be over ridden regardless of what settings you place. I'm pretty sure this never use to be the case, the old AI file always use to stand players up first, so as a little test I switched to the old AI file, it made no difference to the order players acted, but there was a few minor differences using the original edited blood bowl AI, the players stopped throwing the ball and acted even more stupid :roll: .

Anyway I've just seen a Treeman score a touchdown and I'm kicking myself because I forgot to take a photo, so If you think it to easy; try this challenge, play a halfing side and your first touchdown most be scored by a treeman, before anybody else can score on your team. Take a photo if you win a cup......

Return to “You vs AI”