What is the best killer team?

This is the zone for the ones who prefer to play against the machine.
Darkson

Re: What is the best killer team?

Postby Darkson » 31 March 2013, 19:44

The NAF runs tournaments as well, but not often and they're sometimes remote.
Just to point out that the NAF isn't about running tournaments, it's about helping organisers run their own. The NAF only runs two tournaments itself, the yearly NAFC in the UK, and the 4-yearly World Cup (UK and Amsterdam so far).

As for tournaments being "not often and they're sometimes remote", the remote I can agree with you on (depending on where in the world you are of course), but often isn't a problem. Here in the UK alone there's 20+ tournaments a year.

[Edit] Just checked, and the UK alone has 31 tournaments planned for this year, and there may be others not on the list I checked.
Galak 3:16 says "There is a point in time that a player really should read the rulebook."
Home of the ARBBL
TalkFantasyFootball admin - PM me if you need help.
Nope, I was talking about a 0TTD on a Blitz! using TTM.

dode74

Postby dode74 » 31 March 2013, 21:33

BBManager offers stats on the games submitted. The top 5 races by casualties caused per match are:
Ogre (2.55)
Dwarf (2.23)
Khemri (2.19)
Chaos (2.18)
Undead (2.18)
This is pretty close to what I get from FOL. Ogres are top (2.22), with Nurgle (2.06), Chaos (2.03), Undead (2.03), CDs (1.99), Dwarf (1.98) and Khemri (1.94) following them. I've not run an ANOVA to see if there is actually any statistical difference, but those are the barebones means, for what they are worth.

Colonel Panic

Postby Colonel Panic » 01 April 2013, 16:27

As for tournaments being "not often and they're sometimes remote", the remote I can agree with you on (depending on where in the world you are of course), but often isn't a problem. Here in the UK alone there's 20+ tournaments a year.

[Edit] Just checked, and the UK alone has 31 tournaments planned for this year, and there may be others not on the list I checked.
This is mostly from personal experience in the US. There are plenty of tournaments, but they're scattered around the country. Even if you live near one, the others are probably not within driving distance. The cost of flying, hotels, rental, etc will probably be prohibitive for most people.
And I'm not bashing the NAF, my point was just that if there aren't enough Blood Bowl players in your area to form a competitive league (which in my opinion is the most fun way to learn and play Blood Bowl), then going to NAF tournaments isn't a substitute. But playing online (using LE, CE, or "going to the other place") is.

Darkson

Postby Darkson » 01 April 2013, 16:40

Ah, well that's your problem for living in a stupidly big country. Get yourself a normal sized country and it's problem solved. ;)
Galak 3:16 says "There is a point in time that a player really should read the rulebook."
Home of the ARBBL
TalkFantasyFootball admin - PM me if you need help.
Nope, I was talking about a 0TTD on a Blitz! using TTM.

Colonel Panic

Postby Colonel Panic » 01 April 2013, 17:53

Ah, well that's your problem for living in a stupidly big country. Get yourself a normal sized country and it's problem solved. ;)
I'm actually in Germany right now, but even here most of the tournaments seem to be in the Northwest, and not in the south where I am. I've actually considered flying in to the UK for Blood Bowl, but it's probably not going to happen.

VoodooMike

Postby VoodooMike » 01 April 2013, 18:21

... So in a very literal sense, the answer to your question is that Ogres are the best killer team.
That's a place where very basic stats, taken out of context, will be lying to you. Ogres are the most physically strong of the three teams that are most likely to scrape the bottom of the TV barrel... Ogres, Halflings, and Goblins. They also play very few games compared to other rosters (the least of any roster, typically) which gives them less of a chance to create stable stats of any sort (which would show up on the aforementioned ANOVA's post hoc tests, no doubt).

The stat that has proven the most telling is the relative casualties stat... cas caused minus cas sustained. That has, in matchmaking environments, shown high correlation with the number of matches being played by a team... meaning, those are the teams that people opt to play. Popularity doesn't necessarily mean anything in itself, but you can usually suggest the most popular team to someone and have a pretty decent chance that they'll like it, especially when they're asking about "killer" teams, and this stat is about kicking their ass while covering your own.
Friendly Reminder: Correlation does not equal Causation - tattoo it on the inside of your eyelids if it'll help.

Ixnatifual

Postby Ixnatifual » 01 April 2013, 19:28

I can't say I enjoyed fighting Khemri back in the day before their Mummies became Tomb Guardians. Fortunately I played mainly Undead back then so I at least had Regenerate and two Mummies of my own.
"Scoring touchdowns... Good strategy? Or cheap exploit?"

Monty6669

Postby Monty6669 » 02 June 2013, 14:05

If you have the time and patience to put into your team, and believe me it takes ALOT of games, I'd say chaos dwarves hands down. I have a single player team, bear in mind it's taken over 600 games to get them there, with a str 6 mino with all the trimmings, 6 str 5 clawing mighty blowing tackling chaos dwarves, 2 str 5 frenzied centaurs and 5 ag hobgobs to fill the team. try finding another team that can do that! 9 str 5+ players with claw and tackle and guard and block etc etc. oh, with av 9 to boot :)

Poliorketes

Postby Poliorketes » 10 June 2013, 21:30

Hey, is the table top game better then the pc one?!?
Depends. It's a more expensive investment, a full team will cost you in the $50-70 range. The boxed set is slightly more than that but comes with Orcs and Humans, looking at the GW site now it's $82.50. Depending on whether there's an existing league around, you might not have to buy the board or rules, just a team.
If you want to paint them, the paints and brushes aren't cheap, but the time investment is bigger.

The other drawback of the board game is the lack of competition. I played back in college, when we could usually round up 10-20 people and form a league. Outside of that, it can be difficult to find a gaming community. Playing the same 3-4 people over and over gets old fast. The NAF runs tournaments as well, but not often and they're sometimes remote.

On the other hand, it's a really fun time to play Blood Bowl and be able to speak to a human being across the table. You can really psych people out, talk trash, it's a totally different feeling. It gets better with more people as well, the Gaming Club in college had a large room with gaming tables, you could often go watch a game of blood bowl, have your friends watch you play, it's a great time. I think this social aspect of Blood Bowl is what got a lot of current players started. There's a tough learning curve and it's easier to stick it out when you're surrounded by friends.

The upside to the PC game is the community. Doesn't matter where you are, what time of day it is, as long as you have an internet connection, you can be playing Blood Bowl in a matter of minutes. Don't like your team? Roll a new one, it takes almost no time and costs nothing, as opposed to $50+ and a week or two of painting.

Most of the games I play online now are in a private league with the same folks I started Blood Bowl with in college ... plus a few we've picked up. We are spread across 9 time zones by now and it would be completely impossible without some kind of internet-based solution.
It's not that expensive, if you know how to cut costs. The rules are free on the web, a pitch is really easy to build, only thing to buy apart from Miniatures are templates and dice. With Miniatures you can build a Chaos team for 90€, but you can build the same team for 30-40€ if using Warhammer Plastics and converting them with little effort. Dark Elves and Orks can be even more cheaper using Warhammer 40K Plastics.

Colonel Panic

Postby Colonel Panic » 11 June 2013, 06:47

You don't even need to buy templates. Most people I know who have made their own field print things like scatter and pass ranges on the board:

Dice are generally no problem either, you probably already have plenty of d6, you can buy a d8 at any gaming store, you can get block dice from Impact:
http://www.impactminiatures.com/index.p ... id=DC_FSOB
... or by joining the NAF ...
http://www.thenaf.net/index.php
(but in that case, HURRY. GW Licensing hadn't reached their quota on pissing off their own fans this quarter, so they made the NAF stop giving those away).

If you're looking for cheap figures, the boxed sets came with 12 orcs and 12 humans, and those are still common enough that they're cheap on ebay. For example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLOOD-BOWL-Huma ... 5d4008365d
or
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blood-Bowl-Plas ... 4173ad8bf5
or even
http://www.ebay.com/itm/16-blood-bowl-O ... 257ed2b554
(wow I didn't remember those being so ugly)

The problem is that the teams aren't well-formed, each team has 2 of every position player and 6 linemen, so you probably need to get two sets to make a viable team.
Or if you have friends who play Blood Bowl tabletop, ask them to sell you one of their unpainted teams.

Return to “You vs AI”