What is the best killer team?

This is the zone for the ones who prefer to play against the machine.
HC-Vanselow

Re: What is the best killer team?

Postby HC-Vanselow » 31 March 2013, 01:58

:) I'm surprised nobody bought up the Necromantic squads as the Werewolves when given both block and dodge are lethal Blitzers with range. Undead can be equally efficient too and I love punishing teams with four ST 5 guys on Khemri teams as well...

LearnedWolf

Postby LearnedWolf » 31 March 2013, 08:03

HC-Vanselow wrote::) I'm surprised nobody bought up the Necromantic squads as the Werewolves when given both block and dodge are lethal Blitzers with range. Undead can be equally efficient too and I love punishing teams with four ST 5 guys on Khemri teams as well...

Yea, i also wanted to bring up the Kemri. First thoughts where:
OmfgK they have so many st 5 guys and none of the bone-head crap to go with them, regeneration too wut... they do have that decompose or what it's called, figure it's no biggie, played with them. A lot died and i was like, ok so they suck ;_;

HC-Vanselow

Postby HC-Vanselow » 31 March 2013, 09:34

:x How does an individual "Dwarf Proof" a Khemrian squad ???. Tomb Guardians are phenomenal given that they're blessed with ST 5, however it realistically needs some "Block" spread around before it's more efficient. I also like either "Guard" or "Grab" on them as either first or second skills as it helps in chopping opponents down to size...

Colonel Panic

Postby Colonel Panic » 31 March 2013, 12:59

As Khemri against Dwarves, the best you can do is position well, hope you have enough Guard that they can't get 2d blocks. Oh, and hit the Slayers.

BBManager offers stats on the games submitted. The top 5 races by casualties caused per match are:
Ogre (2.55)
Dwarf (2.23)
Khemri (2.19)
Chaos (2.18)
Undead (2.18)

... So in a very literal sense, the answer to your question is that Ogres are the best killer team. But this ignores a couple factors - first of all, Ogres are also near the top in Cas TAKEN, behind only halflings. Also, Chaos and Nurgle get really, really scary at high TV, but most teams (of any race) never get there, so there's a lot of cruddy starting Chaos teams bringing down the average.

My bashiest team in Tabletop days was Chaos Dwarves. They've changed a bit since 3rd ed, but don't underestimate them. They have everything which makes a good bashy team:
- Access to Claw and ST skills
- Decent armor (on 8 players)
- Excellent starting skills
- Plus ST (nobody under 3, 2 players with 4, optional Minotaur)
- Cheap players for fouling (it's part of any dedicated bash)

LearnedWolf

Postby LearnedWolf » 31 March 2013, 16:45

Colonel Panic wrote:As Khemri against Dwarves, the best you can do is position well, hope you have enough Guard that they can't get 2d blocks. Oh, and hit the Slayers.

BBManager offers stats on the games submitted. The top 5 races by casualties caused per match are:
Ogre (2.55)
Dwarf (2.23)
Khemri (2.19)
Chaos (2.18)
Undead (2.18)

... So in a very literal sense, the answer to your question is that Ogres are the best killer team. But this ignores a couple factors - first of all, Ogres are also near the top in Cas TAKEN, behind only halflings. Also, Chaos and Nurgle get really, really scary at high TV, but most teams (of any race) never get there, so there's a lot of cruddy starting Chaos teams bringing down the average.

My bashiest team in Tabletop days was Chaos Dwarves. They've changed a bit since 3rd ed, but don't underestimate them. They have everything which makes a good bashy team:
- Access to Claw and ST skills
- Decent armor (on 8 players)
- Excellent starting skills
- Plus ST (nobody under 3, 2 players with 4, optional Minotaur)
- Cheap players for fouling (it's part of any dedicated bash)

Hey, is the table top game better then the pc one?!?

HC-Vanselow

Postby HC-Vanselow » 31 March 2013, 17:08

;) Hmmm, it seems like my Sacred Mekhta Kings (Khemri) need to get out from under the pyramids more often and work on getting "Guard" after "Block" on the Skeletons as most of my Tomb Guardians already have learned that skill. Does "Block", "Guard" and "Fend" sound like a good developmental path for Khemrian Skeletons which come up against a fair amount of Dwarf, Orc, Chaos and Chaos Dwarf squads ???. Did I waste my time putting together some "Block-Tackle" Skeletons as marking pieces ??? At 11-3-18, Wen-Amun Harakhte & Co. need to bolster their Wins column a little bit more and should I fire a AG 1 Skeleton with "Block-Tackle" or make him designated LOS fodder ???

Darkson

Postby Darkson » 31 March 2013, 17:20

LearnedWolf wrote:Hey, is the table top game better then the pc one?!?

Yes, and I'd say that even if this version wasn't buggy, or made by a decent software house.
Galak 3:16 says "There is a point in time that a player really should read the rulebook."
Home of the ARBBL
TalkFantasyFootball admin - PM me if you need help.
plasmoid wrote:And hey, don't knock masturbating. Judging from this thread, it's a reasonably popular pastime.

Colonel Panic

Postby Colonel Panic » 31 March 2013, 18:34

LearnedWolf wrote:Hey, is the table top game better then the pc one?!?

Depends. It's a more expensive investment, a full team will cost you in the $50-70 range. The boxed set is slightly more than that but comes with Orcs and Humans, looking at the GW site now it's $82.50. Depending on whether there's an existing league around, you might not have to buy the board or rules, just a team.
If you want to paint them, the paints and brushes aren't cheap, but the time investment is bigger.

The other drawback of the board game is the lack of competition. I played back in college, when we could usually round up 10-20 people and form a league. Outside of that, it can be difficult to find a gaming community. Playing the same 3-4 people over and over gets old fast. The NAF runs tournaments as well, but not often and they're sometimes remote.

On the other hand, it's a really fun time to play Blood Bowl and be able to speak to a human being across the table. You can really psych people out, talk trash, it's a totally different feeling. It gets better with more people as well, the Gaming Club in college had a large room with gaming tables, you could often go watch a game of blood bowl, have your friends watch you play, it's a great time. I think this social aspect of Blood Bowl is what got a lot of current players started. There's a tough learning curve and it's easier to stick it out when you're surrounded by friends.

The upside to the PC game is the community. Doesn't matter where you are, what time of day it is, as long as you have an internet connection, you can be playing Blood Bowl in a matter of minutes. Don't like your team? Roll a new one, it takes almost no time and costs nothing, as opposed to $50+ and a week or two of painting.

Most of the games I play online now are in a private league with the same folks I started Blood Bowl with in college ... plus a few we've picked up. We are spread across 9 time zones by now and it would be completely impossible without some kind of internet-based solution.

Colonel Panic

Postby Colonel Panic » 31 March 2013, 18:41

HC-Vanselow wrote:;) Hmmm, it seems like my Sacred Mekhta Kings (Khemri) need to get out from under the pyramids more often and work on getting "Guard" after "Block" on the Skeletons as most of my Tomb Guardians already have learned that skill. Does "Block", "Guard" and "Fend" sound like a good developmental path for Khemrian Skeletons which come up against a fair amount of Dwarf, Orc, Chaos and Chaos Dwarf squads ???. Did I waste my time putting together some "Block-Tackle" Skeletons as marking pieces ??? At 11-3-18, Wen-Amun Harakhte & Co. need to bolster their Wins column a little bit more and should I fire a AG 1 Skeleton with "Block-Tackle" or make him designated LOS fodder ???

Hehe, sorry, totally forgot about your post while reminiscing about Tabletop. I never had skeletons last long enough to gain many skills. Guard is a no-brainer on doubles, otherwise just Block or Wrestle. I used my skeletons quite often for assists, or for marking players, so they tend to get hit a lot ... and even with Regen, AV7 players have a limited half-life. Come to think of it, I don't think I ever had a skeleton get a second skill. And it goes without saying that you want a few unskilled buys around to foul if your oppo is asking for it.

I'd also keep the AG1 guy, not like you were dodging or ball handling with him anyway. He might be more useful as a Blitzer though, and having him lets you take more killer skills on your Blitz-Ras.

HC-Vanselow

Postby HC-Vanselow » 31 March 2013, 19:30

:D Yeah, I'm thinking of keeping the Skeleton as a positional threat-mark up until another unskilled skeleton attains block. The Sacred Mekhta Kings approach their next game with only 11 players, so I'm thinking if Ramtut III or Nekeh-whatever is the better route to go for a mercenary. I'd love to get both in the Kings uniforms, but that'll open the flood gates for my opponents to possibly get some firepower too.

Return to “You vs AI”