2. You get the following screen:
This is where you're going to decide upon the rules of your league.
3. Select the league type and structure:
- Championship is a round-robin league. You will choose the number of teams number of divisions, and whether each team plays each other once or twice in a season (double round robin).
- Cup is a competition which is run in a similar manner to the FIFA World Cup Finals. You will choose the number of teams and the number of pools to start with and whether they are single or double round robin (e.g. 8 teams with 2 pools and single round robin will be 2 small leagues of 4 with each team playing 3 games before progressing). You then choose the "playoff level" which is the number of teams from each pool which progresses to a single elimination tournament.
- Grand Slam is a Championship followed by a Cup. To win the Grand Slam you need to win both competitions.
- Playoff is a single elimination tournament. The number of teams selected must be a power of 2 (2, 4, 8, 16 etc) for this to work, and the game will not allow you to select otherwise (despite it looking like you can from the dropdown).
- Open League is an Open Format tournament using the Cyanide ranking system. You will decide whether applications are required (if not then anyone who applies is in - FOL has this set to yes); whether old teams (i.e. ones that have previously played a game) can apply, and if not there will be a setting to choose max/min TV limits; if MM is used to play unranked or ranked matches; whether challenges can be used to play unranked or ranked matches; and if you want to limit the number of times a coach can play another coach in a season (seasons can be advanced using the "reset" button in league management.
There is a "match frequency" selection for some of these leagues which doesn't appear to do anything.
4. Select the rules. That's the "Extra Rules" panel below.
- Apoths, Max RRs, Max FF, Max Cheerleaders (not sure if this is also Assistant Coaches) and Max level of players are self explanatory.
- Magic selects Wizards (fireball/lightning bolt) or racial scrolls (see useful info sticky for a link to details).
- Equipment allows the use of player-bought equipment (a "blitz" rule).
- Extended inducements allows potions, player bribes, and other "blitz" mode inducements.
- Training allows the pre-match training minigame.
- Kick Off events enables the KO table
- Star Players enables stars
- The switch allows you to select Real Time (RT) or Turn Based (TB). The time limits for TB are 0:40, 2:00 and 4:00, while RT are as below:
For RT those are per half, for TB it's per turn.
- It's worth noting that selecting anything other than the "classic" inducements will enable recharging of the "magic" (whether scrolls or wizard are selected) so that it may be used mroe than once per match. Exteded inducements, equipment and training all have that effect.
6. Name your league and add a description. Both are compulsory.
7. Press "create league" and review your settings.
I say "review" but I mean "ignore". Many/most of the readouts on this panel are bugged. For example, FOL says it's a championship without bribes or wizards, with doping and extra training and only 4 min turns. In fact it is an Open League with classic rules and 2 or 4 minute turns.
Hope this all helps.