The Art Of Fouling

Share the stories you lived in the Blood Bowl universe and tell us your best moment on the pitch.
Celticblade

The Art Of Fouling

Postby Celticblade » 17 March 2013, 14:21

I have been playing the game about 3 months, most of my teams have played in the Auld world league where you get a range of players and attitudes varies towards the use of the foul. I have been called a "cheat" and "unsportsman like" and these are just two of the polite names branded at me. As a minataur stomps all over my level 5 Catcher (who has not got the ball), I don't call my oppenent a cheat, as a block action or a blitz it is part and parcel of the game. The game has been created with the fouls in mind. Skills such as "dirty player" and "sneaky git" are there to be learned by players who want to use them. and the Computers AI uses it all the time in solo matches, so don't think of the foul as cheating, think of it as another form of attack.

Players have asked me why do use a foul as you gain no SPP for the action if successful. The idea is to take the player out of the action, even if its just until your next turn. It gives you time to advance the ball without being hindered, or if your defending, remove one of the opposition's key players. What you don't want is a downed player popping up and blitzing, or supporting an attack against your ball carry (or his potential throwing target). Remember you can only foul once per turn and there is a slight risk of being sent off so if your going to foul, make it count and use a player you can spare and try and gang up on your target. I try to keep records of my games and I found I fouled 3-4 times a game, with an average success of about 50% (Any foul that put the player out for at least an extra turn I counted as a success). The perfect foul takes a player totally out of the game, with no lasting damage if possible. I don't like to see players being killed by fouls (or normal blocks), but it a hazard of the game.

If you don't like your players being hurt, take up knitting don't play Blood Bowl but the foul action is part of the game so learn to use it !
Last edited by Celticblade on 17 March 2013, 19:06, edited 4 times in total.

Waldorf

Re: The Art Of Fouling

Postby Waldorf » 17 March 2013, 18:53

Fould hard and foul often. Especially foul on Turn 16. Sooner or later you'll play the same coach again and they won't try anything risky like a dodge away or a GFI for the score if they know you will break their neck if they fail.
Mahrak Cardinals - Division G.

Colonel Panic

Postby Colonel Panic » 17 March 2013, 19:06

Fouling is totally legitimate. It's sometimes risky, the chance to have your own player ejected is pretty large, but sometimes that's worth it.

Part of coaching is deciding when it's worth the risk. If your opponent has a player they can't win without, then foul. If losing a player hurts your opponent more than getting ejected hurts you, foul. If your opponent is being a terrible sport and trying to injure as many of your players as possible, foul! Your ejected players are safe.

If you outnumber your opponent, and especially if you have a bench and he does not, go for it. And if you really, really need a player out of play, foul. A guy in our league won a game by fouling with a Dark Elf blitzer - it was toward the end of a tied game, he'd recovered the ball with a line-elf who was ready to score, an opposing player (Beastman I think) was knocked down but in easy blitz range if he made a dodge. Rather than risk it, he ran in the blitzer, fouled, stunned his opponent, got ejected. Stun was all he needed, he scored and won the next turn.

Some people take exception to turn 16 fouling. I don't do it in games when I've won, but it can send a message otherwise! The message can be mixed unless you say something, usually "Fun game, thanks! Here's something to remember me by!!"

MattDakka

Postby MattDakka » 18 March 2013, 01:16

Celticblade wrote:The perfect foul takes a player totally out of the game, with no lasting damage if possible.

No, the perfect foul kills the player without fouler's ejection.

Colonel Panic

Postby Colonel Panic » 18 March 2013, 08:32

I was looking for this yesterday to post here. Enjoy "A Foul Family Tradition":

https://fumbbl.com/modules.php?op=modlo ... d=7&page=8

Porkus_Maximus

Postby Porkus_Maximus » 31 March 2013, 09:32

Waldorf wrote:Fould hard and foul often. Especially foul on Turn 16. Sooner or later you'll play the same coach again and they won't try anything risky like a dodge away or a GFI for the score if they know you will break their neck if they fail.

Eh... I don't think this is very good advice with the current rule set. Considering you are risking a player being PERMANENTLY ejected for a game, you need to think very hard about what you would consider a worthy trade. A simple stun might be worth it if it will get you the game winning touch down but fouling to try and gain a numerical advantage is almost never worth it.
Viajero wrote:This shows once more the kind of patronizing, selfrighteous, conformity slave, narrow minded nazi you are in the world of bloodbowl mate. On top of that that side note hijacks this originally nice anecodtal thread.

Waldorf

Postby Waldorf » 31 March 2013, 10:06

That all depends on the relative value of the pieces. Trust me. It works. Even if all it does is piss off your opponent because they incorrectly equate "fouling" in game with actually being mean, it still works, because pissed off people make more mistakes.
Mahrak Cardinals - Division G.

Colonel Panic

Postby Colonel Panic » 31 March 2013, 11:05

Exactly this. I can guarantee that my opponent cares more about his position players than I do about my Goblins. And I didn't buy the chainsaw to eat my Blitz every turn!

But with expensive and valuable players, yeah, not worth having them sent off just for an armor roll.

timdog

Postby timdog » 31 March 2013, 16:19

Except when you are already getting out cas'd, I'll start fouling with my good pieces to save them if all hope is gone :)

HC-Vanselow

Postby HC-Vanselow » 31 March 2013, 16:55

:lol: I'll only generally be found stomping out players when I've got the upper hand in the scoring column and they can't possibly come back into contention or when my squad has a guaranteed loss on the books as my Khemri team did against some Dwarves last night. Five of my players fouled a Longbeard for the K.O.

Return to “Stories & Lore”