Amazing Comebacks

Share the stories you lived in the Blood Bowl universe and tell us your best moment on the pitch.
Colonel Panic

Amazing Comebacks

Postby Colonel Panic » 12 April 2013, 11:00

Like any sport, anything can happen in Blood Bowl, and sometimes what happens is edge-of-your-seat comebacks. These are the fun games to watch, and an incredible rush to play in (or a soul-crushing travesty, depending on which side you're on).

I was sadly on the losing end of one of those. My High Elves taking on my friend's Wood Elves in the last week of the season. I needed a win to clinch the last available playoff slot; I could still get in with a tie or loss, but I'd need some help from other teams which I really didn't want to rely on. I ended up kicking to start the game, rolled a Blitz!, and quickly went up 1-0. Kicking off again, his thrower failed to pick up the ball, got swarmed, and as easily as that I was up 2-0. His drive bogged down and ran out of room to maneuver (lots of wrestle on both sides meant that his catcher literally got walled in by downed players). Leading 2-0 at halftime, and receiving to start the second, I was pretty confident at this point.

My first offense failed, I don't remember exactly how but probably Wardancer BS. He took the ball away, scored quickly, I still led 2-1.

My second offense worked better, the old "throw to a catcher at midfield, hand off to the catcher in scoring position" trick. I'd wanted to stall a little more, but stalling is so hard against well-developed Woodies. Anyway, I was up 3-1 with only about 3 turns to go, I was confident and cruising again.

Woodies one turn score. M-F! But there's only two turns left, I am receiving, all I need to do is pile on the ball and I've got this. I end up with my Thrower holding the ball one square in from the sidelines, surrounded by 5 friendly players. Ahead are two of my catchers, ready to get the run-up-the-score handoff on turn 16 (and/or draw off pressure).
He runs in to surround my cage, leaps a wardancer (Strip Ball, Tackle, Sidestep) in and gets a 1d blitz on my thrower (Sure Hands, Accurate, Dodge). Thrower goes down, my guys fail to catch the bouncing ball, his guys fail to catch the bouncing ball, ball lands right in front of a wood elf and in none of my TZ's. The woodie pitches it out to a catcher on the other side of the field, who then books it out of my reach, deep in my half.

All I could do before he scored was foul the crap out of his best lineman (Block, Dodge, Guard). Dead but apothed. He scores, 3-3, game over.

I ended up making the playoffs anyway and lost in the first round (to the same Wood Elves, in overtime). The woodies ended up winning the Super Bowl.

But going from 2 down at halftime, to tie the game, can't possibly be the biggest comeback ever. Let's hear about yours!

colourcodedchaos

Re: Amazing Comebacks

Postby colourcodedchaos » 12 April 2013, 16:01

Friends And Fun (my Khemri team in a league full of filthy disgusting Elf scum) are not a team much given to winning. This is because I am Not Terribly Good At Blood Bowl and I have a tendency to go completely to pieces and lose heavily. But my proudest moment was also one of the rare occasions where I managed to organise a fightback against a Dark Elf team, and we all know that Dark Elves make children cry.

Things weren't looking good from the first turn - Lord Bingo von Sillyname and Wobbles The Clown, two of my level 6 Tomb Guardians, picked up a brace of Badly Hurts each (on a related note, I have come to despise Decay with the passion of a hundred burning suns) thanks to the world's luckiest Witch Elf and an Assassin able to kill the dead. Whether that makes him good or bad at his job I remain unsure. Nevertheless, I put out my substitutes and prepare for a really nasty game. Of course, he runs in a fast touchdown on Turn 2. That is to be expected. The one on Turn 4 that involved knocking out noted Blitz-Ra Mister Custard... not so much. The game was not going according to plan. I had no choice. I had to bring on my third and final substitute, the legendarily unlucky Uncle Prat. And suddenly, things started to change...

Captain Budgerigar, my ranked-up Thro-Ra, was blitzed by the aforementioned Assassin. Double skulls. Re-roll. Another dose of double skulls. The Assassin falls over and (presumably because of all the spikes on his armour) ended up being horribly killed by the vengeful earth, upon whose gentle and caring surface no Elf is fit to sully with their prancing pansy booties. Some cheering may have occurred. Miss Harley, one of my remaining Tomb Guardians and the lowest level of the lot, led from the front and quite a lot of bashing happened. Bungles McTwerp, my other Blitz-Ra, scored his first league kill and levelled up because of it (I like to think that the resultant point of Strength was a direct result of him kicking the Line-Elf's head so hard that it landed on the hot dog cart outside the stadium). By half time, things were looking up... and with one final, desperate trio of Go For It rolls (Captain Budgerigar has both Sure Feet and Sprint, so it's less risky than one might think), the score was 2-1 to the Spiky Emo Quimsicles.

I am not a fan of Elves.

Anyway, the second half, I get my grind on. Between Mister Custard, who woke up over half time after the coach started kicking him where his genitals would've been several millenia ago, Miss Harley, The Amazing Fandango (my other Tomb Guard), and unlikely Skeleton hero Nibbles the Hamster, the tide began to turn. I start getting lucky breaks and, on occasion, things happened that really shouldn't have. For my second touchdown with the Cap'n, my oppponent was about to blitz me with his Witch Elf as I got away, and I couldn't let that happen. Sadly, my only player in blitzing distance was hapless boney mascot Uncle Prat, and he was in two tackle zones and needed two GFIs to hit the Witch Elf. Preparing to watch him get jumped on by Dark Elves for the third time that season, I set off the blitz. He managed to dodge out, waddled over towards the witch elf with the force of a winded koala, made the block (somehow) and shoved the Witch Elf into contact with The Amazing Fandango, who promptly beat her into a fine paste with one of her own limbs. I get the touchdown, it's 2-2, and then something amazing happens.

Miss Harley, bless her soul, is not the swiftest player in Blood Bowl; she lost a point of MA in an unfortunate Bloodthirster-related accident a few games prior to the one I'm talking about here. However, she managed to Blitz the opposing Runner after a GFI and send the ball (joy of joys) into the lap of Nibbles The Hamster. Nibbles is not a dedicated ball-carrier. However, I caged up as best I could and ran him up the pitch, finally getting the ball into the endzone on the final turn.

And that's how I came back from 2-0 down against Dark Elves with a team that has all the speed of granite. =]

HC-Vanselow

Postby HC-Vanselow » 12 April 2013, 18:06

:lol: I experienced a game like this recently with my Citadel Centurions squad (Human) when we managed a 2 turn touchdown against a Norse team and dashed their chances for the 2-1 victory. Let us say the feeling of breaking their chilly little hearts with a Hartwell Mirabeaux TD on Turn 15 was worth it !!!

Aegis J Hyena

Postby Aegis J Hyena » 13 April 2013, 01:55

colourcodedchaos wrote:Friends And Fun (my Khemri tea...

With names like the ones on your team, hell, I'd play vs them... despite the fact I hate Khemri and their damned St5 line more than you hate elves.
Twitter: @Omegatani

Image Image Image Image

Civilization Game! http://www.goblinsforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=90 --- come join us :P

HC-Vanselow

Postby HC-Vanselow » 13 April 2013, 13:37

:D Aegis, are you suggesting somehow that you'll love the opportunity to smash his team to smithereens because of his players names or the fact they're Khemri ???

colourcodedchaos

Postby colourcodedchaos » 16 April 2013, 11:58

@Aegis: St5 is my lowest-strength TG. The Amazing Fandango steadfastly refuses to roll stat increases because he is a MIGHTY WIZARD and has no time for things like training and becoming physically stronger. Miss Harley (despite being only level 4) and Lord Bingo von Sillyname are St6 and Wobbles The Clown St7(!). Wobbles only wants to be everybody's friend, so he's quite confused when his hugs go rewarded solely with the noise of breaking bones and expiring living. It's probably because he has MB as well. Poor Wobbles. He only wants to be your friend.

So, uh... yeah.

That's my front line.

Don't worry, some godawful cataclysm will occur and they'll leave the field after a few moments.

Aegis J Hyena

Postby Aegis J Hyena » 17 April 2013, 22:09

colourcodedchaos wrote:Wobbles The Clown St7(!).

Nuffle takes his due. A Gutter Runner one-shotting him in desperation or orc forbid, a snotling, will do him in. Calling it right now. :P
Twitter: @Omegatani

Image Image Image Image

Civilization Game! http://www.goblinsforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=90 --- come join us :P

HC-Vanselow

Postby HC-Vanselow » 17 April 2013, 22:28

:lol: Or even better is a random rock catching him in the head on a Kick Off event.

Colonel Panic

Postby Colonel Panic » 18 April 2013, 08:54

fails a go-for-it to crowdsurf a ball carrier.

HC-Vanselow

Postby HC-Vanselow » 19 April 2013, 00:04

Hmmm, who would run their ball carrier up the sidelines so dangerously ??? Even with a "Block-Dodge-Side Step-Sure Hands" Ghoul I'm going to keep him one square away from the heckling crowds (Just in case there is a Frenzy player attempting to introduce him to homicidal fans in the stands).

Return to “Stories & Lore”