Brutal matches, amazing plays, long time player

Share the stories you lived in the Blood Bowl universe and tell us your best moment on the pitch.
FaerieKnight79

Brutal matches, amazing plays, long time player

Postby FaerieKnight79 » 12 August 2016, 00:29

I played Bloodbowl IRL for a while years ago when it was still a going thing. Was never particularly good. But then I was a new player in a persistent league that had been going for a while. Between being new and thus being unfamiliar with the strategies and having a team which could barely field enough for a legal team at the start of a match, I lost most of the time. Still, it was great fun. So eventually I bought Bloodbowl (the video game) on my computer. Still great fun. Still lost most of my early matches. But I knew I wanted to get Bloodbowl 2 at some point.

First of all, I should mention that I've always favored playing an undead team. This was what I fielded IRL. It's my team in Bloodbowl 1. And I'm now starting one in BB2 for the xbox one. That tells you a few things up front. I play a team with no real passing game. The thing I tend to do that surprises people is that I DO play a passing game. A short distance passing game using my wrights for throwers and blockers and my ghouls as catchers/runners. Since undead players have horrible agility, I have to do short passes usually.

The single best play on the PC I've had though was a hail mary pass down the entire length of the field. One of my mummies had gotten left behind near the other team's end zone. It was the last turn of the game. Score was 0/0. I had control of the ball, and the other team still had one turn left to go. I was on my last turn. Desperate to get the ball as far away from my end zone as I could since I'd just recovered a fumble right next to it... I threw the ball down field to the mummy. I thought to flubing the pass was a real risk. I expected to flub the catch. Instead, my mummy with 1 Agility (had suffered an Agility reducing injury in one match) manages to catch the extreme long range pass. Then shambles into the end zone for the first and only touchdown of the match.

What. The. heck?!

More recently, yesterday I bought Bloodbowl 2. So today I created a human team (hadn't bought undead race yet) and played a few matches in an offline league. Did pretty good with winning the first two matches with no injuries or KO's (on my side anyway). Then the third match got down right brutal. I was going up against an orc team, which is a rather bashy team as anyone who's played BB knows. First turn, I'm on defense. I have several linemen and a blitzer lined up against the other team's big guy. Accidentally pick the lineman for my block attempt, get a skull and a both down result. Obviously I chose the both down result. Amazingly both my lineman and the ogre type guy die. O.o Rest of my turn go about as you'd expect.

On turn two I get my ogre into a one on one confrontation with the goblin holding the ball. Make my attack... two skulls. Nope, not gonna happen. So I use one of my 3 rerolls. Get both down, twice. I shrug and figure my ogre will be fine. Nope, goblin is stunned and my ogre is injured (but will make a full recovery). Okay, now I can see how this match is going to go. At this point I wasn't expecting to win. But I was hoping to at least not lose. So I continue my assaults, then blitz the ball carrier (this time killing the goblin.

By the the last turn of the match the score is 1-0 my lead. I've got one blitzer still on the team who isn't dead or injured. My opponent has two goblins. And I've got the ball. There's no freaking way I'm going to race down field and get a touchdown. It's too far, even if I Go For It. So instead I take a chance and blitz one of the remaining two goblins, killing it. My turn's over, AI opponent is up. And the lone goblin decides to actually try blocking my blitzer with a two dice disadvantage. To my horror, the stupid goblin rolls a pair of Defender Downs. Sure I get to pick which die to use, but it doesn't matter. I select the die, and my armor save is made... and failed. Time for an injury roll.... And my last remaining player gets a broken back.

Game ends with my entire team dead or injured, the orc team I was facing almost entirely dead or injured, and I won. Holy guacamole was that a brutal match. Started lethal, and just ramped up from there. But that's the way the dice roll sometimes. As a result, my human team has needed to be completely recreated from scratch. I didn't have enough funds to hire enough players to replace those who got killed. Let alone to cover for the injured.

twitch/the_sage_bb
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/theSagebb/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/the_Sage_BB

Re: Brutal matches, amazing plays, long time player

Postby twitch/the_sage_bb » 12 August 2016, 08:39

Welcome to BB2! Nice writeup. Mummies without -AG are also AG1, btw. =)
Content: Twitch / Youtube ; Updates: Facebook / Twitter
(because people with big banners are just compensating)

FaerieKnight79

Postby FaerieKnight79 » 12 August 2016, 10:41

Still, you just don't expect a zombie to accurately throw a hail mary down the entire length of the field, and a mummy to actually catch the ball. Ranks right up there with the one and only interception I had a player make on PC... which was made by the same freaking mummy. Not the ghouls with skills to help with intercepting. Not the wrights who at least have 3 Agility. But the mummy who's primary job is to slowly shamble around the field and hit things hard. Weirdest touchdown drive I ever did.

Then again, I always get baffled when my zombies or skeletons manage to pick up the ball too. Or catch it after a ghoul fumbles. Let alone when a mummy catches a fumble. O.o

And yeah, I do realize mummies start with 1 Agility. That particular one had been making a habit of catching fumbles. Then instead of a strength skill or something sensible like that... got a +1 AG. Then later on Dodge (after the crippling injury that lowered AG back down to 1). My other mummy got a sensible Block and Guard set. I swear, Bubba Hotep thinks he's an elf or something.

Darkson

Postby Darkson » 12 August 2016, 18:30

I played Bloodbowl IRL for a while years ago when it was still a going thing.
What do you mean "when" it was still going? It's been on-going for years, there are more and more tournaments around the world each year, the NAF World Cup got 900+ players in attendance in Italy last year (will always blame the other half for missing it) and Games Workshop are releasing a new box set late this year/early next.

When was it "gone"?
Galak 3:16 says "There is a point in time that a player really should read the rulebook."
Home of the ARBBL
TalkFantasyFootball admin - PM me if you need help.
Nope, I was talking about a 0TTD on a Blitz! using TTM.

Darkson

Postby Darkson » 12 August 2016, 18:33

Well, Ag 3 intercepts on a 6, Ag 1 intercepts on a 6, so it's just as likely for a mummy to intercept as a Wight, so that's not that rare.
Galak 3:16 says "There is a point in time that a player really should read the rulebook."
Home of the ARBBL
TalkFantasyFootball admin - PM me if you need help.
Nope, I was talking about a 0TTD on a Blitz! using TTM.

FaerieKnight79

Postby FaerieKnight79 » 12 August 2016, 18:57

I played Bloodbowl IRL for a while years ago when it was still a going thing.
What do you mean "when" it was still going? It's been on-going for years, there are more and more tournaments around the world each year, the NAF World Cup got 900+ players in attendance in Italy last year (will always blame the other half for missing it) and Games Workshop are releasing a new box set late this year/early next.

When was it "gone"?
In my area, the local blood bowl league was held at the local comic and gaming store. Back in 1999-2001 it was huge and including me had 40 registered teams, probably earlier then that. And matches were still occasionally played up through 2004. Then the owner of that shop started being an idiot after his girlfriend dumped him. He stopped ordering new product, including comics that paying customers had subscribed to and pre-paid for through the store. I'm missing the last 10 or so issues of Spidergirl v1 because of him, and I'd upfront paid by the year directly to the store for my subscription. Instead of subscribing through Marvel directly. He also started coming in late, sometimes by hours at a time. Store was suppose to open at 11am, and nobody would be there till 4pm oft times. When he did get new stock, you couldn't tell and he didn't know what he had. It was all behind the counter in a huge mess. Or the opened but unsorted boxes were just sitting around throughout the store. But that only applied to Warhammer minis, Magic the Gathering cards (those he kept in stock, mostly) and things the owner personally liked.

Then he decided he was going to close up shop permenantly if he couldn't get a buyer in six months. During which time he didn't order anything, even things he was commissioned to order. I know one person who ordered several vehicles for his 40k army through the store since he didn't have a credit card to order online with. The clown who ran the gaming store took the money, then never ordered the vehicles. Or if he did, he couldn't find them in the mess of opened and unsorted boxes he STILL had behind the counter.

This to a large degree killed the local miniature wargaming scene. Before that Warhammer 40k, Warhammer Fantasy, Blood Bowl, Mordheim, Mage Knight (and Dungeons), and Heroclix were regularly played with Tuesdays being Warhammer night. So on Tuesdays you could come in and pretty much always find a game or ten of various Games Workshop games. Occasionally someone would bring a Space Hulk set too.

The new owner of the store has made great strides towards bringing back the gaming community to the store. But anymore the local blood bowl league has either died, or moved to private venues. And there's no regular Warhammer games anymore. A few people come in bringing their 40k armies. But often they sit all night with nobody showing up to challenge them. Some of the biggest enthusiasts (and all the Blood Bowl league members) haven't stepped foot in the store in years.

Return to “Stories & Lore”