Bad Matchmaking?

Report here the bugs you experience in Blood Bowl 2.
JimmyFantastic

Re: Bad Matchmaking?

Postby JimmyFantastic » 25 May 2017, 12:56

I don't think % of wins is important at all, but it's important to clarify which you are talking about.
To be fair I just quoted a quote and it was obvious from your initial post that you were talking about win%.
Do you think Halflings lose matches in their head or on the pitch? Cos that is what this win% is comparable to.

VoodooMike

Postby VoodooMike » 25 May 2017, 14:42

Do you think Halflings lose matches in their head or on the pitch? Cos that is what this win% is comparable to.
No, they lose because they're a bad team, but it's important to note that those figures were for CCL, and that envirionment is quite different from regular open play... in COL the figures are always around 40% which is only 10% below the balance mark, and 10% above the point we saw in other BB implementations using straight TV matching.

We expect the underdog to lose more than the overdog, especially at the highest TV differences... but to say the matches are totally unwinnable or completely unbalanced.. that suggests (to me, anyway) a much higher skew than 60% vs 40%, which is what we have in BB2.

So really I'm just saying "lets not exaggerate the effect" when we're talking about the TV differences. Even with the maximum TV difference as a disadvantage you're not that far behind in BB2. Optimally you'd never have to play uphill like that, but that's what we've got.
Friendly Reminder: Correlation does not equal Causation - tattoo it on the inside of your eyelids if it'll help.

Cram

Postby Cram » 13 June 2017, 09:38

Well, but there is something about the matchmaking that i still do not understand.
In smaller open leagues you sometimes can be sure that only 2 people are spinning, so you know who you will be playing.
Still we have to wait those 300secs, cause matchmaking wants to figure out the best match (we "love that feature" ;) ).
Now lets say my oppenent spins a TV1K team while i spin 5teams from TV1k-TV1380.
Why do i get my TV1380 Team playing against the new one?
Shouldn't it figure out in those 300secs that there are better matchups?

I tried it a few times and it always looked like MM preferred to take the team i played most already over all others ignoring the TV differences and the possibility of better matchups.

In the end its easy to just spin a single team and work around it, but still i do not understand what MM is doing there.

Darkson

Postby Darkson » 13 June 2017, 13:28

From previous posts here it sounds like, unlike BB1, if you spin multiple teams it only looks for matchups with one, not all of them.
Galak 3:16 says "There is a point in time that a player really should read the rulebook."
Home of the ARBBL
TalkFantasyFootball admin - PM me if you need help.
Nope, I was talking about a 0TTD on a Blitz! using TTM.

VoodooMike

Postby VoodooMike » 13 June 2017, 18:39

In smaller open leagues you sometimes can be sure that only 2 people are spinning, so you know who you will be playing.
Still we have to wait those 300secs, cause matchmaking wants to figure out the best match (we "love that feature" ;) ).
The forced use of matchmaking pooling... well, forced use of anything, in private leagues is one of their worst decisions in BB2. I don't think anyone argues against it being a bad thing.
Now lets say my oppenent spins a TV1K team while i spin 5teams from TV1k-TV1380.
Why do i get my TV1380 Team playing against the new one?
Shouldn't it figure out in those 300secs that there are better matchups?
Everyone (reasonably) assumes that it's looking for the best match among your teams for you, but that's not how it's working... it's doing matchmaking as if you'd only queued one team, and only looking for matches for other teams if there are NO matches for that team. So, it's not a "get me the best match using these teams" it's "here's a list of teams, in order of priority... get me a match"
I tried it a few times and it always looked like MM preferred to take the team i played most already over all others ignoring the TV differences and the possibility of better matchups.
That's probably the one you selected first or something. I don't queue multiple teams so I've never sussed out the details of that.
Friendly Reminder: Correlation does not equal Causation - tattoo it on the inside of your eyelids if it'll help.

Cram

Postby Cram » 14 June 2017, 14:26

Well, at least i know now how strange the BB2 MM works.
:)
Thanks.

Javelin

Postby Javelin » 14 June 2017, 17:16

Yeah, it only tries to match the last team you clicked to search for a matchup for a particular league. At one point they claimed that it works across multiple leagues, but since the countdown isn't synchronized between leagues that's pretty useless as well...

Return to “Technical forum”