World Cup 2016 Announcement

All you need to know about the Blood Bowl 2 World Cup 2016!
Mercy Flush

Re: World Cup 2016 Announcement

Postby Mercy Flush » 19 January 2016, 14:34

It's the 3 week countdown to application deadline!

Iron Phoenix BBL are still accepting coaches before the qualification tourney begins,
if you're interested check out our forum link in the OP. 8-)

twitch/the_sage_bb
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/theSagebb/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/the_Sage_BB

Postby twitch/the_sage_bb » 19 January 2016, 16:08

Cyanide will be watching those top teams closely as well to ensure that there isn't any farming, cheating, or massive conceding going on as well, which will help to curb the #'s some.
Really? How do you figure that? The farming/cheating, sure; I'd hope so. But do you really think they'll kick out a team if, say, 11 of its 20 games were pre-match concessions? We just have to hope that the average TD difference of the top 5 teams is >3, so that concessions will do more harm than good.
Of course they will kick a team if 11 of its 20 games were pre-match concessions, if it makes it to the top 5 at any point.
How so? Concession rates above 50% are not that uncommon for the hard bash teams. As long as there were real people out there conceding to him? What it it's 9? or 7? or if half the concessions were between turn 1 and 4, rather than pre-game? If someone has won 9/0/0 in real games, and then gets all concessions, does that mean he's now disqualified? On what grounds? Cyanide have made a system that encourages concessions, which means they now legitimately have to deal with these kinds of issues.

I'd say that if someone concedes in the World Cup open thing they should be banned from playing in it for somewhere between 8 and 24 hours, to avoid a situation where people will quickly concede when the game doesn't look good for them, as a chance optimization strategy. In order for the winner's result to mean anything, his opponent needs to be playing to the best of his abiilty.
Content: Twitch / Youtube ; Updates: Facebook / Twitter
(because people with big banners are just compensating)

TheSpydyr

Postby TheSpydyr » 19 January 2016, 16:32

How so? Concession rates above 50% are not that uncommon for the hard bash teams. As long as there were real people out there conceding to him? What it it's 9? or 7? or if half the concessions were between turn 1 and 4, rather than pre-game? If someone has won 9/0/0 in real games, and then gets all concessions, does that mean he's now disqualified? On what grounds? Cyanide have made a system that encourages concessions, which means they now legitimately have to deal with these kinds of issues.

I'd say that if someone concedes in the World Cup open thing they should be banned from playing in it for somewhere between 8 and 24 hours, to avoid a situation where people will quickly concede when the game doesn't look good for them, as a chance optimization strategy. In order for the winner's result to mean anything, his opponent needs to be playing to the best of his abiilty.
I see your points and they are well founded I believe. I do like your suggestion of locking a coach out from playing for a certain amount of time, but don't really think that this option will be a viable one for Focus/Cyanide to keep up with (at least that is my opinion). And it's not fair to punish the coach who didn't concede. I can certainly see a coach playing the first few turns and then conceding if things are not looking good and just restarting at that point. Focus/Cyanide should definitely put something in place for a ruling on what they will do in these instances for all coaches to know before the Open league starts.
Spydyr

The RNG is not broken, you are not "the unluckiest coach in the world" and the computer does not cheat, you just suck.

Twitch
YouTube

thefuturekeen

Postby thefuturekeen » 19 January 2016, 18:53

Quick question I entered in my info on registration site and it said I was registered but I never received a confirmation. Email. Is there any way to double check we are indeed registered?

- Karma -

Postby - Karma - » 19 January 2016, 20:37

@spydyr, lemmy, and sage that's what I'm saying, unless Cyanide comes out with a specific plan to deal with concessions I have to figure on staying away from the Open Ladder. Good coaches will not get "rewarded". They will hardly get games played out. And when they are sitting at 20-0 asking "this counts right? it's not my fault 15 of my opponents conceded is it?" It will happen within the first 24 hours of the Ladder being open. I can see it now. Coach A starts his first match, scores within 3 turns on a turnover score and his opponent quits. Looks for another game. Injures his opponents big guy first turn block, second opponent quits. So and so forth all of the sudden he's 8-0 with a massive TV pulling games against 1050 teams who've only got a game or two in. They then figure screw it, concede pregame and start their team over. Before you know it this guy has only played a dozen or so actual turns of BB but has his 20-0 record. Not even farmed, just happenstance that spun wildly out of control.

It doesn't matter, because the truth is that no matter if I get lucky and manage to get a team into the top 5 at some point, by the end of the period there is no way I can reasonably commit the time to compete with those coaches who will grind and grind and grind to manage a 20-0-0 record with a +40 TD diff or something obscene like that.

It will happen. It won't be about best coaches, it will about those who can invest large amounts of time. I would have a completely different point of view if each coach was allowed maximum of one team entry per Open Ladder comp. At least in competing through the community events I know everyone is under exactly the same constraints as me - now we're just playing BB, not trying to game the system somehow or worrying about others doing the same.

I will say I appreciate Cyanide put as much thought as they did into things like moderating for cheating/exploiting, how to go about tiebreakers, etc etc. But concessions will be a huge sore for this competition as it progresses. People at or near the top 5 sniping at each other to try and prove cheating took place to get those above them DQ'd or some such. Gawd, I hope I'm wrong...

Netheos
Administrateur

Postby Netheos » 20 January 2016, 10:01

Quick question I entered in my info on registration site and it said I was registered but I never received a confirmation. Email. Is there any way to double check we are indeed registered?
There is no confirmation email after the registration. You have a confirmation message at the end of the form (when you click on "registration").

You can check if you are already registered by trying to register again with the same Coach name or email. If you are registered, you'll have an error message saying so.
Focus Team

JimmyFantastic

Postby JimmyFantastic » 20 January 2016, 12:48

there is no way I can reasonably commit the time to compete with those coaches who will grind and grind and grind to manage a 20-0-0 record with a +40 TD diff or something obscene like that.
I expect 20-0-0 +40 first try (barring bugs/crashes). The grinding will have to be done to get something like +60 hehe.

- Karma -

Postby - Karma - » 20 January 2016, 13:35

there is no way I can reasonably commit the time to compete with those coaches who will grind and grind and grind to manage a 20-0-0 record with a +40 TD diff or something obscene like that.
I expect 20-0-0 +40 first try (barring bugs/crashes). The grinding will have to be done to get something like +60 hehe.
I'm just a filthy casual huh? :lol:

Wolfbanesons

Postby Wolfbanesons » 20 January 2016, 14:11

Hi Netheos how will disconnects be dealt in the World Cup ladder league? Does that count a win for the other player? or they will not count?

I suggest banning players from ladder if they do concessions otherwise it will be a mess.

Netheos
Administrateur

Postby Netheos » 20 January 2016, 14:22

Hi Netheos how will disconnects be dealt in the World Cup ladder league? Does that count a win for the other player? or they will not count?

I suggest banning players from ladder if they do concessions otherwise it will be a mess.
With the reconnection feature from the last update, there should not be a lot of real disconnections, leaving us with almost only true concessions.

We are currently working on a solution to discourage concessions in the World Cup Ladder.
Focus Team

Return to “Blood Bowl 2 World Cup 2016”