Ogre Tactics, Strategies and Builds

Your rosters, your strategies, advice, etc.
timdog

Re: Ogre Tactics, Strategies and Builds

Postby timdog » 07 April 2013, 23:05

If you can get your opponent scared, they start protecting thelselves instead of squishing your snots. Piling on is good, as is gang fouling anything that hits the ground :)

Blood Maven

Postby Blood Maven » 08 April 2013, 18:57

Indeed! Two of my Ogre team names were "Death by Stupidity" and "Knuckle Dragging Goons" and there have been games where I am down 2 or 3 zip and I dont even bother playing the ball. I just go after their best players and PO every block and foul foul foul.

Teams really play different and run like heck when they are only trying to survive and it keeps MY players alive playing that way.

archdevil942

Postby archdevil942 » 08 April 2013, 19:49

nah
i disagree with killing for the sake of it
i think that killing and fouling is lovely and is very importent for ogre teams but only for practical reasons
otherwise its just bullying

HC-Vanselow

Postby HC-Vanselow » 08 April 2013, 20:09

I found myself reverting to such treacherous ways too when my Shamutanti Hills Horde (Auld World MM) couldn't establish any kind of potent "O" which normally meant having a Snotling darting through a unit of Wood Elves. I've heard people using Ogres as primary ball carriers, yet give or take a few "Bonehead" rolls and the squad comes to a screeching halt !!!

Colonel Panic

Postby Colonel Panic » 08 April 2013, 21:01

nah
i think that killing and fouling is lovely and is very importent for ogre teams but only for practical reasons
The reality of Ogre teams is that they'll almost never win a game that ends 11 on 11. The snotlings suck too much, even with all six Ogres on the field (many Ogre teams have less, they're expensive), between Bonehead and failing rolls, that just leaves far too many opposing players to beat down the Snotlings. And everyone LOVES beating down Snotlings.

But once the "ogre-per-opponent" ratio starts looking a little more in your favor, things just get exponentially easier on offense and defense. That's not just going to happen, you have to actively work toward that. By which I mean, foul important players, pile on when you can, take any shots you get, cheap or not. It's not a question of winning or violence, it's a question of winning through violence.

timdog

Postby timdog » 08 April 2013, 23:42

nah
The reality of Ogre teams is that they'll almost never win a game that ends 11 on 11. The snotlings suck too much, even with all six Ogres on the field (many Ogre teams have less, they're expensive), between Bonehead and failing rolls, that just leaves far too many opposing players to beat down the Snotlings. And everyone LOVES beating down Snotlings.

But once the "ogre-per-opponent" ratio starts looking a little more in your favor, things just get exponentially easier on offense and defense. That's not just going to happen, you have to actively work toward that. By which I mean, foul important players, pile on when you can, take any shots you get, cheap or not. It's not a question of winning or violence, it's a question of winning through violence.
nicely said sir :)

hermanJnr.

Postby hermanJnr. » 09 November 2013, 12:23

I never really took +STR on Ogres before, but I just thought of the most ridiculously sexy Ogre build next time I get a STR up on one:

+STR
Multiple Block
Grab
Guard
Stand Firm

(Block on doubles).

That would give you a 2d block against 2 opponents of STR 3 every turn, assuming no assists against or for you, Grab would allow you to continue positioning them against that Ogre (or move them into your others for a good tenderising) and Guard and Stand Firm would mean he'd be an absolute pain in the arse to push away or block if he managed to get settled next to your line.

So far I'm finding my level 6 Ogres and other such vets usually end up going the Piling On route, which isn't terribly effective since they're so much better stood up to hit things! So I think this sort of build might be really lovely. Any thoughts?
Formerly on the boards as "NinjaGammaMan".

hermanJnr.

Postby hermanJnr. » 24 April 2015, 10:30

nah
Old post though this is, this attitude is still quite prevalent online, surprisingly, so here's my 2 cents.

Your opponent's players are in the way. Your job is to win the game. Winning the game is much easier with less of your opponent's players on the pitch.

All your blockers on Ogre teams start with Mighty Blow: this is undeniably for hurting players. Whether you hurt them on a block, a Blitz, a foul or a crowd-surf is irrelevant. There is no shame in hurting players and every team should be trying to do it, since it helps you win!

----

Anyway: my well-developed Ogre team went against some Clawed up Underworld the other day and I found the game really tough. They had a few monster players (+STR clawed Blitzers) but even so, I think I played "wrong". My approach was to minimise their blitzes and essentially give the game up in order to protect my players. I stayed out of TZs and barely even hit the Gobbos!

Now I'm thinking actually I had a Guard/STR advantage, and so should have manned up to them and just pounded them with MB, given their low/average AV.

When faced with 4+ Claw players, what's the usual tactic with Ogres? Obviously the game gets a lot harder, but I think if you change the plan from "Get in there and punch" it all unravels...
Formerly on the boards as "NinjaGammaMan".

Return to “Roster & Strategies”